2016 15" Macbook Pro RP450 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [CheckMate404]^ // HTC Vive VR headset  

CheckMate404
(@checkmate404)
November 14, 2017 5:29 am  

I was able to get the graphics card working, with the HTC Vive, and without an external monitor. Both the built-in AMD and the Nvidia 1070 show up in Device Manager. I didn't disable anything, I didn't run any scripts, or install any third-party software. The trick for me was:

1. Use the left-side ThunderBolt 3 slot that's closest to you (the one furthest from the screen).
  2. Unplug EVERYTHING else besides power. I initially ran into many errors in Device Manager (Error 12 for example), because I had my USB-C external hard drive plugged in. Unplugging this removed Error 12 for me.

I'm going to image the drive and try to reproduce my setup, but it went something like this:

1. Plug in the Aorus Nvidia 1070 gaming box.
  2. Install Windows in Bootcamp.
  3. Install Aorus 1070 gaming box utility.
  4. Install latest Nvidia 1070 drivers.

That's it.

I noticed that for some VR games, I get really bad performance when the game window is open on the laptop screen. It appears to be using the AMD graphics card when this happens. Minimizing the window while in-game brings back perfect Nvidia 1070 performance.

I'll continue testing, but this community has been such a great resource, I wanted to get this out there as soon as I could!

Edited: 6 months  ago

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
November 14, 2017 4:20 pm  

What version of Windows 10 are you running? 1709 seems to be better with regards to resource allocation for eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
CheckMate404
(@checkmate404)
November 19, 2017 4:02 pm  

Yes, it's version 1709. I've been running it for a few days now, including many reboots, without issue. Haven't had time to reproduce my setup and make a proper guide, but I can report it is still running smoothly!

ReplyQuote
CheckMate404
(@checkmate404)
November 26, 2017 8:08 pm  

Update, this didn't work for all SteamVR games. There was no internal acceleration on the main laptop screen, and some VR games choose that monitor instead of the headset. Meaning the game still tracked all of my movement, but the video was piped only to the laptop screen.

Following the steps here fixed that for me, both the laptop screen and the VR Headset are now driven by the eGPU:

https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/

ReplyQuote