2017 14" Dell Latitude E7480 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [mbp8k]^  

mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member
November 7, 2017 11:52 pm  

Dell Latitude E7480 +Aorus Gaming Box GTX1080 worked almost without problems. Used Win10 1703.

Plugged it in and everything auto detected, graphics driver install crashed at the very end but apparently finished what it needed without the need of a reinstall because after reboot everything worked. The crash was a run time popup box message that stated something along the lines of 'this program requested a strange power off or reboot sequence' (wording may not be exact). I almost suspect the graphics driver install crash was because this is a co-workers work computer (for a large employer) which may have other IT induced limitations on it.

Strangely, upon plugging in the egpu an ok-box message popped up in windows that said something along the lines of 'egpus are not supported', this message apparently had no bearing on the install or usage of the egpu. Again this could be due to our local IT image, can't be sure.

I only tested the egpu via an external monitor and only with brief desktop usage, e.g. no games or computationally intensive graphics. And usage was otherwise fine with no hangs, and hot plugging worked fine.

Also this laptop (E7480) should be capable of max TB3 rate of 40gbs, although I've done no benchmarking.
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/qna44089/thunderbolt-3-40gbps-data-transfer-rate?lang=en

Edited: 7 months  ago

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
November 7, 2017 11:56 pm  

Thank you for your implementation guide. Would you like to add some pictures to your post to bring it all to life?

A CUDA-Z run would confirm the E7380 is running a GT4 OPI and getting 32Gbps-TB3 performance as shown at:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/#perf

Edited: 7 months  ago

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member
November 8, 2017 4:19 am  

Maybe in a few weeks, its not my computer so I don't readily have access to it.

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member
November 8, 2017 6:04 am  

More data: Ran into the same error message again on a different system so I can provide more detail now that I have it in front of me. Error was:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\N...
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Got this when installing Nvidia's win10 64-bit 10-series 1080 driver version 388.13-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe. I think this is a driver issue instead of anything to do with the system, and older versions (as found on the Aorus gaming box 1080 website) didnt have this problem.

ReplyQuote
Firebar
(@firebar)
December 12, 2017 9:59 pm  

Did you have any issues with the E7480 locking up when attaching or plugging in the egpu? I have an Atikio Node Lite with RX560 but whenever I plug it in the system either locks up or throttles VERY heavily, so much so that I cannot do anything. Running latest BIOS and TB firmware on both Dell and Atikio. 

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member
December 22, 2017 5:35 am  

I really only plugged it in once or twice to test the system, and I didn't experience any hangs although I never tested any graphics intensive applications or games. Ultimately I decided to go with a different system.

Though the owner of the e7480 has complained that the system does drop keys-strokes / mouse-movement/actions when his display, keyboard, and mouse are connected to a tb3 docking  station (no egpus). I think there was a forum discussion somewhere saying he needed to update his bios. But it may be a different issue given you're up-to-date on bios.

ReplyQuote