2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [chaosmage]  

chaosmage
(@chaosmage)
Eminent Member
November 5, 2017 4:13 am  

Hello eGPU.io community!

Enough reading someones how to's, comparing different enclosures, and tracking new products! Time to jump into the world of gaming on my Mac!

So, i received Aorus Gamin Box as a part of pre-order program introduced by Brian from Gigabyte.

Will not get into unboxing or tech specs, they are widely described by theitsage here.

Just a few pictures about the implementation process. Thats how it looked like when i unpacked the Aorus Gaming Box:

IMG 1920

And that is 30 minutes later:

IMG 3940

I was ready for 2-3 sleepless nights, browsing internet, struggling with the drivers and configurations, bat files and scripts. What did i get? Nothing.

Plugged it in, installed the drivers from Gigabyte web page, voila.

Will post some tests later on.

P.S. Ha ha, i've got what i was asking for. A couple hours later Windows has installed "something" and eGPU stopped working. Need to go through the steps itsage has provided.

P.P.S. I was following the guide to have Windows on external SSD, and once i follow the steps, download the Windows ISO, install it - i get Windows 10S.

The difference of 10S with Home/Pro - you can not run non Windows-store applications. So i could not install Bootcamp drivers and use that installation.

Windows installation on external SSD (most steps taken from Mgear1981):

In Mac OS:

1. Run Boot Camp Assistant to put the Windows drivers onto a separate USB stick
  2. Download a Windows 10 x64 ISO or use any other Windows ISO (i took mine from MSDN).
  3. Transfer the ISO to your Windows installation.

In Windows (use a VMWare or VirtualBox):

1. Install Windows ADK, uncheck all alternatives except “Deployment Tools”
  2. Double click the Windows ISO to mount it as a drive
  3. Plug in the external USB drive.
  4. Open command prompt and run the following:

Formatting the drive:

diskpart 
list disk 
select disk 1 (the id of your external drive) 
clean (warning: this will erase everything on the drive) 
convert gpt 
create partition efi size=200 
format quick fs=fat32 
assign letter=s 
create partition msr size=16 
create partition primary 
format quick fs=ntfs 
assign letter=w 
exit

Apply the windows image to HDD/SSD via WinToUSB.

Plug the drive into your Mac and restart holding down the Option key and you should see EFI Boot as an alternative.

Windows will prompt for a couple of things - note that drivers for MacBook keyboard and touchpad are not available at this time, you would need an external USB keyboard. And it may restart a few times (keep on booting into Windows), and finally you will get to the desktop. Plug in your USB stick with BootCamp drivers and launch setup.exe.

Create Windows restore point:

1. Right-click the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System.
  2. In the left pane, select System protection.
  3. Select the System Protection tab, and then select Create.
  4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then select Create.

configured rEFInd

went through DDU of AMD drivers, installed NVIDIA drivers

eGPU is discoverable

I get code 12 error from time to time. Solution is to run integrated.bat and boot through apple_set_os.efi .

Able to make eGPU work properly after 4-5 restarts to Windows every time.

Edited: 6 months  ago

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
bad_strategist
(@bad_strategist)
November 15, 2017 8:15 pm  

Have you tried OS X yet? I will be getting this setup but want to stay in OS X - just wondering since you may be running the latest versions of everything with the date on your post! Thanks so much for your time,

ReplyQuote
chaosmage
(@chaosmage)
Eminent Member
November 17, 2017 6:02 pm  

@bad_strategist, i did not succeed in OSX, installed the drivers, the card is visible in the system but it does not switch to eGPU.

ReplyQuote