2016 13" HP Spectre X360 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [bhushir] // i7-7500U + 34E790 Monitor  

bhushir
(@bhushir)
August 20, 2017 8:26 am  

Hi All, 

Thanks to everyone in the forum, I finally decided to take the plunge and invest in an eGPU. I felt the best bang for buck was the Aorus eGPU (especially because I wont be overclocking, or upgrading the GPU for a while). I had left gaming ~ 5 years ago. Want to get back at it. 

I've already mentioned my setup :
1. 13" HP Spectre X360 Kaby Lake Core i7-7500U / 16GB RAM / 512 SSD
2. Samsung Widescreen Curved Monitor : 34E790
3. Aorus Gaming Box

Since i've been playing Overwatch only, I have little feedback as of the moment:

Thoughts on the gaming box & Performance :
1. Its amazingly compact. I have a 100cm * 55cm long desk at home, and i can comfortably fit the box in the corner, without making it look too cluttered. 
2. The cable supplied is TOO Short. I invested in an Akitio TB3 Cable. VERY GOOD QUALITY. 
3. The LED Lights are a sore. Best to turn them off. Looks uncool (or maybe i'm getting old)
4. The top side of the Box gets heated up the most. The sides feel cool most of the time
5. The FPS gets capped at 60. Doesnt go higher. I think its a monitor limitation

Any other benchmarks you'd want me to run? Let me know. 

Cheers, 

Bhushir

Edited: 5 months  ago

MaikiRS, nando4, 4chip4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
bhushir
(@bhushir)
September 17, 2017 12:05 pm  

** UPDATE AFTER 1 MONTH OF USE **

So I've been using the gaming box for a month, and below is my feedback. 

1. Games like Overwatch run at a constant 60fps without dipping for a second.

2. But BF1 - the FPS variates over different scenarios. Like for instance, when you're on an undercover operation (limited number of enemies, and slow pace) the FPS stays ~ 60 even in ULTRA Mode. But when there's an 'ambush' or number of characters increase on screen, the FPS goes to ~ 20, making is unplayable and irritating . Is the CPU to blame? I'm not sure

3. Even for the USB Hubs to work you need to connect the box to a laptop via TB3. I wanted to reduce the clutter and charge my phones using the built in quick charge USB Output. But I need to connect my laptop even for charging my phone. Strange.

4. Fans are quite noisy. But personally I'm ok because the box sits below the desk, and I use ANC headphones.

5. Sometimes my laptop acts wonky, and doesnt detect the box. Once I restart the laptop everything start working just fine. But this is a rare issue. Doesnt happen always

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
HellhoundWP
(@hellhoundwp)
October 8, 2017 5:55 am  

I have a question for you about the Gaming box not detecting.  Have you done all of the driver and firmware updates.  I also have this combination of laptop and e-gpu.  I bought the Gaming Box a bout a week ago and I got it working at first.  But sense then my Spectre has never detected my Gaming Box again.  I have been trying to diagnose the problem, but these are my only two Thunderbolt devices.  The only thing I can think of is the Firmware I installed on the Gaming Box might have killed it, but maybe I am wrong and it is the port on the Spectre.  I was hoping by finding out what you have done driver and firmware wise might help me narrow down the problem.

ReplyQuote
JoonJK
(@joonjk)
November 5, 2017 2:55 am  

Did you figure it out? my gaming box stopped working as well after a blue screen shutdown.

ReplyQuote
mazarin
(@mazarin)
November 17, 2017 8:07 pm  

I'm considering a similar setup. Does the Aorus Gaming Box actually charge the HP Spectre X360? I've heard HP had the charging port locked down for some cases. The HP Omen Accelerator is the only one I've read that can definitely charge the laptop though the TB3 port so you can just have the one cable in.

ReplyQuote
max
 max
(@max)
December 5, 2017 2:50 pm  
Posted by: mazarin

I'm considering a similar setup. Does the Aorus Gaming Box actually charge the HP Spectre X360? I've heard HP had the charging port locked down for some cases. The HP Omen Accelerator is the only one I've read that can definitely charge the laptop though the TB3 port so you can just have the one cable in.

Good question. I got Spectre X360 13" 8th Gen, and was considering the Omen Accelerator instead of the new Aorus 1080 since it was said to be the only on to charge the laptop through Thunderbolt connection. But if the Aorus can charge the laptop then I will go with that option instead. 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
December 5, 2017 3:27 pm  

eGPU enclosure with 45W or more power delivery should be able to charge the Spectre X360. The HP BIOS has a setting in which it complains when the laptop is used with a non-original power adapter. I've been able to charge the Spectre X360 with an Apple 87W AC adapter, AORUS Gaming Box 100W, ASUS ROG XG2 100W, and Sonnet Breakaway Puck 45W.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
max
 max
(@max)
December 5, 2017 7:21 pm  

Great. But I've read that HP for some crazy reason has limited the ability to charge through TB3 with non-HP charger including TB docks. I have a Belkin TB3 dock that can power 100W but it is not charging my Spectre X360 13" 8th gen (that only requires 65W).

ReplyQuote
bhushir
(@bhushir)
December 25, 2017 8:18 am  

Hey. I'm so sorry. Havent logged into the site for a while. 

I hope your issue is resolved. I had a similar issue. What i did is went to windows recovery mode, and resotred the PC to a previous point. I think one of the windows updates messes up with the drivers and the eGPU stops detecting. 

ReplyQuote
bhushir
(@bhushir)
December 25, 2017 8:18 am  

The Auros Gaming box definately charges the HP Spectre just fine. There are no battery drain issues. 

ReplyQuote
bhushir
(@bhushir)
December 25, 2017 8:21 am  
Posted by: max
Posted by: mazarin

Good question. I got Spectre X360 13" 8th Gen, and was considering the Omen Accelerator instead of the new Aorus 1080 since it was said to be the only on to charge the laptop through Thunderbolt connection. But if the Aorus can charge the laptop then I will go with that option instead. 

Yes the Gaming box charges the HP Spectre just fine. 

ReplyQuote
bhushir
(@bhushir)
December 25, 2017 8:24 am  
Posted by: HellhoundWP

I have a question for you about the Gaming box not detecting.  Have you done all of the driver and firmware updates.  I also have this combination of laptop and e-gpu.  I bought the Gaming Box a bout a week ago and I got it working at first.  But sense then my Spectre has never detected my Gaming Box again.  I have been trying to diagnose the problem, but these are my only two Thunderbolt devices.  The only thing I can think of is the Firmware I installed on the Gaming Box might have killed it, but maybe I am wrong and it is the port on the Spectre.  I was hoping by finding out what you have done driver and firmware wise might help me narrow down the problem.

This happened to me once, and i realised it was a recent windows update. go to the system recovery, and load windows to an earlier stage. It should help fix the issue. 

ReplyQuote
MikeCoz061
(@mikecoz061)
January 19, 2018 4:55 pm  

I also cannot get my Aorus Gaming Box to connect to this. It worked fine for about 3 weeks. Yesterday, I updated the bios (to F32) on my Spectre laptop to address the Spectre vulnerability and now I get a "Thunderbolt functionality might be limited" message. It's detected as a USB device but that's it. I have not done any BIOS updates to my eGPU, and it was working fine before the laptop BIOS update, so I know it's the laptop's problem.

I spent a very long time with tech support and they don't know what it is. I haven't got a response from Gigabyte. I reinstalled Windows and it does the same thing on a fresh install, so I really think it's something with the laptop's BIOS/TB3 drivers/Windows 10 updates. I just don't know whose fault it is. I learn towards HP, considering the BIOS update broke mine. But I know it's not always that clear.

I now have a pricey eGPU that does nothing but charge my laptop.

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
January 21, 2018 2:20 pm  
Posted by: MikeCoz061

I also cannot get my Aorus Gaming Box to connect to this. It worked fine for about 3 weeks. Yesterday, I updated the bios (to F32) on my Spectre laptop to address the Spectre vulnerability and now I get a "Thunderbolt functionality might be limited" message. It's detected as a USB device but that's it. I have not done any BIOS updates to my eGPU, and it was working fine before the laptop BIOS update, so I know it's the laptop's problem.

I spent a very long time with tech support and they don't know what it is. I haven't got a response from Gigabyte. I reinstalled Windows and it does the same thing on a fresh install, so I really think it's something with the laptop's BIOS/TB3 drivers/Windows 10 updates. I just don't know whose fault it is. I learn towards HP, considering the BIOS update broke mine. But I know it's not always that clear.

I now have a pricey eGPU that does nothing but charge my laptop.

Wow, keep us updated, that is brutal

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
January 22, 2018 8:23 pm  

When you say "fresh install of windows", do you install it from the net, with updates? Asking as the largest part of the Meltdown/spectre patches is on the OS side, the BIOS update might have just enabled those (ie you might not be having the same pre-meltdown-unpatched Windows as you did a month ago even if it's a fresh install). 

FWIW I also updated to F32, no issues here (though I'm using the Omen Accelerator on a 15" x360, so it's not necessarily indicative for your setup).

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide]
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
MikeCoz061
(@mikecoz061)
January 22, 2018 10:05 pm  
Posted by: 4chip4

When you say "fresh install of windows", do you install it from the net, with updates? Asking as the largest part of the Meltdown/spectre patches is on the OS side, the BIOS update might have just enabled those (ie you might not be having the same pre-meltdown-unpatched Windows as you did a month ago even if it's a fresh install). 

FWIW I also updated to F32, no issues here (though I'm using the Omen Accelerator on a 15" x360, so it's not necessarily indicative for your setup).

I did the complete reset built into Windows 10. I realize it's going to get me an updated version, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just something left over causing it.

ReplyQuote
(@alberto_beto)
February 25, 2018 4:39 am  

Hello,

Anyone still using the Aorus Gaming Box with the spectre?
I have the Spectre x360 ac0xx with i7-7500U and was considering the Gaming box with gtx 1070 or 1080.

Are the new drivers working properly with the eGPU? Or I must have windows with an out of date version?

How is the performance on the long run after some months of usage?

I'm also planning to use the box for more than gaming, specifically training neuronal networks.
Have anyone tried installing Cuda and cuDNN and use it with the Aorus box?

Thanks! 😀

ReplyQuote