late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1080TI@32Gbps-TB3 (Asus XG Station 2) + Win10 [changchewsoon]^  

changchewsoon
(@changchewsoon)
July 11, 2017 5:13 am  

Hi all,

Huge thanks to everyone for posting their guides here, and I would like to share mine as well.

Hardware

13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar Intel Core i5-6267U dual core CPU@2.90GHz + 8 GB RAM + 512 GB PCIe SSD

Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC Edition

Asus ROG XG STATION 2

Notes

Was already running Windows 10 64-bit Boot Camp with all the latest patches and updates installed.

I am running an external monitor in Windows  environment for gaming with the MacBook lid closed, and have no intention of using the eGPU in MacOS environment.

DO NOT install the graphics card first, the goal is to ensure the detection of the XG-STATION 2 is successful before doing anything else.

Use the LEFT ports for maximum speed on this version of MacBook as confirmed by Apple that the right hand ports will be running at reduced speed.

Steps

I first installed the ROG-XG-Station 2 Hot Plug Tool, and then I plugged in the XG-Station 2 without the graphics card and Windows failed to detect it.

Hence, I proceed to download and install the Intel Thunderbolt Bus Driver. After that, the XG-Station 2 was detected.

Then, I updated the XG-Station 2 to the latest firmware to version V25 by downloading it here from ASUS's website.

At this time, you can experiment rebooting the computer with or without the XG-STATION 2 plugged in. I have tried both, and was able to boot into Windows successfully with the Hot Plug Tool detecting it successfully and popping a notification saying no graphics card detected.

Download NVIDIA GeForce Experience and put in on the desktop.

Shut down everything, power off and install the graphics card. At this time, DO NOT plug in the XG-STATION 2 yet to the computer. Also, connect the display cable from the graphics card to your monitor and leave the monitor powered on.

Power up computer, open up the Device Manager window and then plug in the XG-STATION 2 and wait for the notification from the Hot Plug Tool to confirm the detection of graphics card. At the end, the message from the Hot Plug Tool should be somewhere along no drivers are installed.

You should also observe that there are lots of detection going on within the Device Manager window, and under the Display Driver you should see both your onboard display and the GeForce card.

I immediately encounter the internal display going haywire, so I unplugged the XG-STATION 2, reboot my machine, download DDU and performed a clean & restart under safe mode.

After it's done I reboot back to normal Windows, plugged in the XG-STATION 2 again, while observing the Device Manager window. This time, Windows only detected a generic graphic card instead of a GeForce card, and the internal display did not go haywire.

So, I proceed to install the NVIDIA GeForce Experience and the installation completed successfully without any errors.

Reboot Windows, the laptop screen was showing a frozen blue Windows logo, and about 20 seconds later the external monitor lit up and I was able to login to Windows normally.

Downloaded Cuda-Z, Unigine Heaven, Valley & Superposition benchmark and here are the results.

cuda z 20170711

Unigine Heaven Benchmark

Unigine Valley Benchmark

Superposition Benchmark v1.0 8879 1499740421

Superposition Benchmark v1.0 9404 1502163752

The second Superposition benchmark was done after I used GPU Tweak II to OC the card. My settings are

GPU Boost Clock + 101 MHz

GPU Voltage + 100%

Memory Clock + 820 MHz

Power Target + 20%

GPU Temp Target + 6C 

Custom Fan Speed

Saw the card was able to sustain speed at 2100 MHz and memory clock at 5899 MHz

Edited: 10 months  ago

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 11, 2017 6:16 am  

@changchewsoon, thank you for posting your eGPU implementation. You make reference to CUDA-Z bandwidth benchmarks but have not included them. Would you like to attach it to your opening post?

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
changchewsoon
(@changchewsoon)
July 11, 2017 1:49 pm  

Sorry I missed it out, just updated my post!

MBAir10 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
August 3, 2017 10:06 am  

So you are able to boot into Win10 Boot Camp and power the internal display with the eGPU without any additional setup beside the one described in the original post?  

EDIT: Sorry I posted in the wrong thread. Mods you can delete my message.

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote
changchewsoon
(@changchewsoon)
August 8, 2017 3:48 am  

That's okay, now that you asked I actually did managed to boot into Windows 10 Boot Camp and running both internal and external GPU with the current existing setup.

It may sound silly, but what I did was first leave the Thunderbolt cable unplugged and power up the Macbook into Boot Camp, when I see the blue Windows logo with the spinning animation, then only I plug in the Thunderbolt cable.

Without fail both internal and external GPU will be detected and I am able to utilize both.

MBAir10 liked
ReplyQuote
gabriel_rinaldi
(@gabriel_rinaldi)
September 30, 2017 11:21 pm  

Do you have problems using the USB ports on the station? My keyboard and mouse freezes sometimes when using those ports. 

ReplyQuote
changchewsoon
(@changchewsoon)
October 7, 2017 10:19 am  

Yes I do, it has gotten from worst to bad.

What I did was instead of using any of the USB ports on the external graphics dock, I used a USB-C hub and have all my USB peripherals plugged into it and all the problems went away.

Please take a closer look at my first picture posted, I used the Satechi slim aluminium type-c multi-port hub adapter. And if I needed more USB ports I'll just take one of my old hubs and plugged it in to daisy chain. Worked like a charm every time.

What I did not try was to use the other USB type-b cable that came with it, it was designed to offload any non graphical bandwidth from the Thunderbolt channel as it is shared between supplying power and graphics related data.

Edited: 8 months  ago

ReplyQuote
(@alan_keogh)
April 3, 2018 7:39 pm  

I have the same . how do i switch between my 1080ti and 580? it is saying card not connected to monitor

ReplyQuote