Mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (Akitio Node) + Win10 [Tom M]^  

(@tom_m)
October 22, 2017 1:50 am  
  1. Create bootcamp partition (I gave the partition 128GB and keep programs on an external 1TB usb-c 3.1 SSD)
  2. Install Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  3. Optional but recommended: Buy a used Windows 7 key off ebay to activate it (I found one for $7)
  4. Download and install any updates
  5. Restart computer
  6. Download Intel Thunderbolt Software version 16.2.55.275
  7. Download Node Firmware version PC Updater v1.0.0.4
  8. Restart computer
  9. Follow this guide to install firmware onto Node (remove 1080 Ti from Node until the firmware is flashed to the enclosure)
  10. ** I use the top right hand side TB3 port exclusively for the eGPU. Using another port may change how your hardware behaves and this process may no longer apply **
  11. Shut down computer
  12. Install 1080 Ti into Node
  13. Restart computer
  14. Download DDU and uninstall AMD drivers
  15. Restart computer
  16. Download Nvidia drivers and do custom install (do not download GeForce Experience)
  17. Restart computer
  18. At this stage my 1080 Ti would turn on but lose power as soon as I booted into the Windows partition (I checked that it stayed powered on if I booted into MacOS - which it did)
  19. I went into device manager and disabled controller 1901 (x16)
  20. Screen went blue, encountered an error and restarted
  21. 1080 Ti stayed powered on when booting into Windows
  22. In device manager, I checked the 1905 controller and saw it was enabled (enabled itself on restart). 1080 Ti also appeared under display adapters.
  23. Finished

- Uninstalling AMD drivers may cause some programs to think your computer does not have OpenGL installed or say files are missing etc... Connecting my eGPU when launching programs that display such messages made them work (whether I used an external display or not)

- This was my 3rd or 4th windows install trying to get the eGPU to work (I estimate over 60 hours of messing around). This was good as it made me familiar with the processes required and I was able to diagnose and fix any issues I encountered by myself.

- I did not need to run any scripts to get this to work, and no special booting process is required. Simply ensure eGPU is connected before booting into windows.

- Disconnecting eGPU while powered on will crash and restart computer

Hardware:

- Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition 11G

- mid-2017 15" 2.9ghz Kaby Lake Macbook Pro w/ Touchbar 

- Akitio Node (Thunderbolt 3)

- Certified 50cm thunderbolt 3 cables

Edited: 5 months  ago

ReplyQuote
(@tom_m)
October 22, 2017 3:33 am  

NEXT STEP: AFTER THE 1080 Ti IS RECOGNISED AND NVIDIA ICON APPEARS IN THE TASKBAR

The number 1 indicator that the 1080 Ti is working correctly is the Nvidia icon appearing in the taskbar - Clicking it will show a small window of programs that are currently using it. Boot up a game and it will appear in the window etc. You need to connect an external display (or disable direct mode if using VR) to access Nvidia Control Panel. I have heard to just leave the settings alone as they are already pretty good and optimised for your particular card.

To test the function of the 1080 Ti - I bought a HTC Vive and installed Steam and SteamVR, with the HTC Vive plugged into the back of the eGPU and software installed I followed any prompts and all the hardware worked correctly. One thing that I did find strange was that in the 'Settings' menu found in Steam - I clicked on 'System Information' it displayed 'Microsoft Basic Adapter' as my graphics card. Also, changing the resolution up to 1080p resulted in a warning: 'Microsoft Basic Adapter has 0 bytes available and this may cause issues at this resolution'.

I played with the computer settings a bit and was unable to change that information to reflect the 1080 Ti. It made me question if the 1080 Ti was even being used - but I was getting HIGH quality VR, and a Macbook Pro cant even start a VR on its own so I have no doubt the 1080 Ti was being utilised. The front of the Node also got HOT (where the radiator exhaust comes out) but the side near the card still felt cool. I recommend using a water cooled 1080 Ti inside the node as it can accommodate it both space and power-wise.

This is all part of an X-Plane (flight) motion simulator build and when X-Plane supports native VR (around the end of the year) I will uninstall Steam and SteamVR. As I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro (did a few of them), I had to download X-Plane again (I downloaded it before I removed the AMD driver using DDU as it can not run without a graphics card of some sort). After removing the AMD driver it would display error messages saying files are missing. Those missing files are related to graphics drivers. Connecting the eGPU allowed X-Plane program to function and operate correctly. The internal display did NOT have accelerated graphics - but the eGPU, when connected, will allow programs to run that otherwise wouldnt as a result of removing the internal graphics driver. X-Plane also caused the 1080 Ti to fire up and displayed X-Plane as being used by the 1080 Ti in the taskbar window.

I will post anything else that comes to mind or might be of help as I continue this process.

ReplyQuote
dbuckingham
(@dbuckingham)
December 20, 2017 8:27 pm  

You are using the Fall Creator's build of Windows 10 (v1709), correct?

ReplyQuote
(@tom_m)
December 31, 2017 4:47 pm  
Posted by: dbuckingham

You are using the Fall Creator's build of Windows 10 (v1709), correct?

I think I used the base ISO version of windows 10 from the Microsoft website (free download), and installed whatever updates it wanted to install after I booted. I think I have the creator version as a result of those updates after installation, yes. Will confirm when I can.

Also my computer seems to have settled into having an egpu and works using any USB C port. May have been due to updates to windows since.

ReplyQuote
chinsteig
(@chinsteig)
Eminent Member
January 1, 2018 7:56 am  
Posted by: Tom M

22. In device manager, I checked the 1905 controller and saw it was enabled (enabled itself on restart). 1080 Ti also appeared under display adapters.

The 1905 controller is the AMD card right? If it reenabled itself after the restart is it functioning? Have you tried installing the AMD driver alongside the 1080 Ti drivers?

I'm planning on getting my Thunder2 1070 working on a Mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560, but with minimal mods so it works regularly when I'm out sans eGPU.

Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro > Thunder2 > GTX 1070 > 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide
Mid 2017 15" MacBook Pro > Thunder2 > GTX 1070 > 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

ReplyQuote
(@tom_m)
January 1, 2018 9:10 am  
Posted by: chinsteig
Posted by: Tom M

The 1905 controller is the AMD card right? If it reenabled itself after the restart is it functioning? Have you tried installing the AMD driver alongside the 1080 Ti drivers?

I'm planning on getting my Thunder2 1070 working on a Mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560, but with minimal mods so it works regularly when I'm out sans eGPU.

1905 enabled itself on restart but without eGPU plugged in, my flight simulator program would no longer launch. plug eGPU in (without external monitor connected) and the program would function fine on the internal display- complicated this part - it would put the eGPU under stress but not improve the internal display graphics so I "think" it uses both the graphics, AMD for the retina display and eGPU thinking that I also have an external display connected as well. Again, The program won't launch without the eGPU connected. Connect eGPU and I think it uses both graphics. Somehow. Laptop gets hot. Away from it atm so I can't confirm any of that right now. Have completely avoided updating AMD driver for bootcamp and I have a backup up of windows to an ISO file because it's very fragile. Driver update may wreck everything when I do it eventually.

ReplyQuote
(@tom_m)
January 2, 2018 2:30 pm  

PLEASE NOTE

IT WAS 1901 (x16) IN STEP 19 THAT WAS DISABLED, NOT 1905 (x16).

Today after a period of not being used I plugged my egpu in and when booting into windows it was not turning on the card. I had to disable 1901 (x16) and that was when I noticed the error.

Everything still applies.

ReplyQuote
chinsteig
(@chinsteig)
Eminent Member
January 2, 2018 4:25 pm  

Interesting, did you download the new firmware that was recently released?

I got my thunder2 to work without having to do anything. I just made sure it was the only thing plugged into the laptop when I booted and logged into windows 10. I didn't have to disable or uninstall any driver. I'm using the back left port for the eGPU. Only weird thing is that if I plug my USB hub into the front left or back right port after booting with it, windows 10 freezes and crashes auto rebooting. I can only use the front right port for the hub. If I leave the hub plugged in while booting I get error 12 on the card that I can fix by disabling the audio driver for the 1070. I don't route audio through it anyway so it's not a big deal to me.

Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro > Thunder2 > GTX 1070 > 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide
Mid 2017 15" MacBook Pro > Thunder2 > GTX 1070 > 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

ReplyQuote