mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING X@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.4 & Win10  

ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
October 27, 2017 3:04 pm  

Hello guys,

I have been here for a while, going through the whole process since it born, as a I really love the concept of having a mobile laptop turn into a graphics workstation/game rig (well, kind of, with all the limitation of the memory and processor which a mobile laptop has, even though it worth it). As I love the concept and the enthusiasthic community here, I was part of the groupbuy of the Mantiz Venus too ;).

I started with the following configuration:

- Early-2013 Macbook Pro Retina GT650M

- Mantiz Venus TB3 enclosure

- MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X

Even that in MacOS worked like a charm (really easy, no problem at all, since the beginning), in Windows were really complicated, and even with the Nando DIY kit, I was not able to make it work. I though that could be feasible knowing that there were some mbp retina 2012 GT650M working outthere, but I am convinced that the early 2013 retina having the same graphics card, had other differences, which made it really difficult to make it work. reinstalling windows several times and doing hundreds of tries, I was not able to make it work.

I think I should have created a thread (which is the reason I created this one) in order to get some help from others, but at that time I was really busy at work, and some personal issues which made it impossible, and I lost the patience which made me update my laptop (which I was thinking doing it in the beginning of the next year either way).

Now I updated the system to mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560. So I have now:

- mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560

- Mantiz Venus TB3 enclosure

- MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

- Monitor Dell U2713HM (2560x1440 via DisplayPort)

So let´s talk about what I did till now, and I was not able to make it work. The purpose is to track what I did till now and update the guide to make it work.

MacOS:

Sadly, I started with MacOS 10.13, so I couldn't try before. So, still not working 🙁

Now, as most of you are doing, I am following, and using the yifanlu's guide. I was not able to make it work, but I am sure we are near to the solution, because I am getting the cursor in a black screen, like a lot of people is getting. The case and the graphics card are recognized by the OS, which is really good.

Just one note that I don't know if anyone said before: in the moment of the nVidia web drivers installation, there were an error saying something like "there were an error trying to install the driver..." which I acepted and keep going. This happen twice, the first time I installed (yesterday), and today when I reinstalled to the new drivers that came out as someone adviced. Same results though. 

Boot procedure: to get cursor, booting without attached, re-login, otherwise just black screen without cursors. If I attach before power on, internal screen is turned off, and if I disconnect, just restarts.

The correct procedure as @unknownsolo said here:

– Make sure SIP is ENABLED
– Install nVidia drivers (this is important, if you get an error during nvidia driver installation, it won’t work and SIP is most likely still DISABLED, you need to make sure SIP is ENABLED. The nvidia driver install should run without any errors. Try to boot to recovery and enable SIP then try installing nvidia driver again without any errors)
– Once nvidia driver is installed, boot to recovery, disable SIP
– Boot to OSX, install the app in the first page then reboot
– Boot to OSX, Login, plug-in eGPU, logout…at this point your external monitor should be working

Win10:

I was trying to follow this guide, but there are several things I don't need to do (maybe I am wrong, so just correct me, please), as I am not interested to enable my internal screen.

I don't need this from the guide:

- To make it work in a internal screen as I just want to use my eGPU with an external screen. So I don't need to do apple_set_os.efi (USB nor ESP).

- Fix error 12. As I already have the large memory, having a mbp 2017. I don't know if I have to use the jzfgs, I already tried, but is like nothing happens... but as it says no workaround needed, I think I don't need anything.

What I did:

- Installing Windows, I installed the Fall Creator's update, because in any place on the guide said anything against it. Some of the people here said to use the Anniversary update, but I don't know if it matters or not, as I have seen several successfull configuration which they use the one I installed. I tried to install the nVidia drivers directly, and I retrieve a yellow bang with the error code 43, which I don't know the meaning of it.

- As I didn't have the latest version of the Mantiz Venus firmware, I remove the graphics card form the device, and I installed the NUC thunderbolt driver, and I installed the firmware succesfully. So it is supposed that I have it updated.

- I removed the graphics card driver (after installing nVidia drivers) and I removed both, radeon (from bootcamp) and nVidia (the one I download and installed) ones. Then I installed again, via browse from the device manager. No luck, still error code 43...

Boot procedure: I have to boot in windows with the device connected or the computer will restart automatically.

So, I am getting error code 43, don't understand the meaning, or what to do next.

Maybe I forgot to do something, please let me know.

EDIT: just changing from the left upper port to the right upper port everything works on Windows!!

So, as you can see I still couldn't make it work in Windows nor MacOS.

It seems that now everything works!! Let's work with it and learn/refine/improve everthing, any suggestion is welcome!!

This is all for now, I think. Please let me know your comments, thoughts, misunderstadings I made... whatever you want.

Thank  you very much to everyone that can help in this process in order to make it work. Hope is much easier this way.

Greetings to everyone and sorry for my English.

E.

Edited: 3 weeks  ago

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING X@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.4 & Win10

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
October 28, 2017 8:41 pm  

WINDOWS ONLY:

Here you can see the problem on windows.

device manager

NOTES:

- Changed today to a MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X, just for trying same results.

- When I changed to HDMI, it worked, and then swapped to a display port (as HDMI in my monitor just offers till 1920x1080 being 2560x1440) but when I restart again, same problem happens, and even if I changed to HDMI, the problem persists.

Anyone knows? Cheers.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 1, 2017 1:28 am  

MacOS udpate!!

Following this, I just did these steps in order to make it work, and worked perfectly and I didn’t have to reinstall!!

1) uninstall the NVIDIA driver

2) from /Library/Extensions/ remove NVIDIAEGPUSupport.kext

3) rebuild caches
if [[ $(test -f /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel && echo 1) ]]
then 
rm /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel 2>/dev/null
fi 
if [[ $(test -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && echo 1) ]] 
then 
rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache 2>/dev/null 
fi 
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions 
sudo kextcache -q -update-volume / 
sudo kextcache -system-caches

4) boot to recovery (Command (⌘) + R) and enable SIP
csrutil enable

5) boot into macOS and install NVidia driver without errors

6) boot to recovery and disable SIP
csrutil disable

7) boot into macOS and install NVDAEGPUSupport-v1.pkg

8) restarted and log in, connected the EGPU with the external display

9) log out and the external screen works

Cheers.

I just have to make it work in Windows!! If someone could help me, I will appreciate it!! Thanks 😉
Edited: 6 months  ago

ReplyQuote
unknownsolo
(@unknownsolo)
Eminent Member
November 1, 2017 2:17 am  

I have the same laptop with 1080TI Founders Edition and Asus XG Station 2 paired with Acer Predator X34 using DisplayPort cable (3440x1440)

It’s plug and play, not a single mod needed to make it work in Windows. HOWEVER, don’t use the left ports, use the right ports. I had similar issues using the left ports. Using the right ports work perfectly. Also, like you mentioned, make sure the egpu is already plugged in before boot.

All I had to do to make mine work is simply install boot camp, shutdown so I can plug in my egpu, boot with egpu plugged in, install Nvidia drivers AND THATS IT. I didn’t even have to change/update my thunderbolt drivers like some suggest in other threads.

hope this helps

2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Asus XG Station 2) + macOS10.13.1

ReplyQuote
unknownsolo
(@unknownsolo)
Eminent Member
November 1, 2017 2:18 am  

Also, is your Mac update above with 10.13 or 10.13.1?

2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Asus XG Station 2) + macOS10.13.1

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 1, 2017 2:22 am  

Thanks for your reply unknownsolo (and for the MacOS tips in the other thread), I will try it tomorrow in Windows, here is pretty late. I am in 10.13, and I will not update till there is a nVidia driver 😉

EDIT: damn, I couldn't resist at 4.14 am!! Yes unknownsolo, just changing port to right, works perfectly (thank you very much), didn't need to do anything more on windows!! My system works in both Windows and MacOS!!

EDIT 2: didn't realize that there is a version of the nVidia drivers for 10.13.1 now!! Didn't try so far... if someone tries, please, let me know!!

Edited: 7 months  ago

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 1, 2017 3:23 am  

How can I use the macbook in clamshell mode, mac and win?? I don't like to use the big screen with the internal one. Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
November 1, 2017 7:54 am  

Working my way through your post @ed_co

Have copied and pasted exactly what you put into terminal, is there anything else I need to know as I am not sure it ran right? Does it need to be in recovery mode? Do I need to disable or enable anything? 

Below is exactly what I pasted into terminal from my Desktop from a normal login, but without the "".

"if [[ $(test -f /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel && echo 1) ]]

Screen Shot 2017 11 01 at 07.56.17

then
rm /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel 2>/dev/null
fi
if [[ $(test -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && echo 1) ]]
then
rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache 2>/dev/null
fi
sudo kextcache -q -update-volume /
sudo kextcache -system-caches"

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 1, 2017 8:55 pm  

Hey @eightarmedpet, in order to run this commands, you should be able to run is as admin, and as Juan C. Yunis recommend, the better way to go is putting rebuild cache commands inside a sh script, something like rebuild_caches.sh and make it runnable by chmod +x rebuild_caches.sh, and to run it, best way to do it, it's by going into root account, sudo su, then ./rebuild_caches.sh and wait for it 😉

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 1, 2017 9:57 pm  

PROCEDURE TO UPDATE TO NEW VERSIONS!!

OK, just updated to 10.13.1 and NVDAEGPUSupport-v2

Steps:

1) Update to 10.13.1

2) Enable SIP

3) Install nVidia driver through the nVidia Driver Manager

4) Disable SIP

5) Install NVDAEGPUSupport-v2

6) Login/Logout

7) Done

Cheers

P.S.: Should be great to be able to make it work without Login/Logout procedure... 

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 1, 2017 10:24 pm  

By the way, I didn't try it before, but if I plug the Mantiz before login, it works, and I don't need to go through the login/logout method...

EDIT: the above-mentioned could have side effects, so maybe is better to avoid it

Should be great to leave it plugged all the time... 😉

Anyway, need the laptop to work in clamshell mode now!! Anyone??

ReplyQuote
maxxxam
(@maxxxam)
December 13, 2017 1:39 pm  

Hi,

Thank you for your little tutorial. 

I have been looking into getting the exact setup as you have for a while. I have just purchased the lastest MBP 15" 3.1Ghz. Could you tell me how well this setup performs under windows? May be you could provide some FPS and resolution under some games you might be playing? 

Last thing I heard is that clamshell mode is not yet supported.. 🙁

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
February 2, 2018 7:33 pm  

Sorry, I am not a gamer, so I will not give you games FPS.

Still missing:

- Clamshell support.

- eGPU audio support.

- Hot plug...

Thinking about going to Vega 64... unless Apple and nVidia can start talking with each other. It is a pity how much I spent in nVidia...

ReplyQuote
Mactastic08
(@mactastic08)
March 5, 2018 1:54 am  

Are you having any problems with Chrome (or web apps like Slack)? When I load chrome the laptop screen turns off, the browser is still display but is going super slow.

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + FE GTX1080Ti GAMING X@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
March 26, 2018 11:22 am  

@Mactastic08 It never happened to me, sorry.

Trying the new method to reinstall using:
bash <(curl -s  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/learex/macOS-eGPU/master/macOS-eGPU.sh)  -r

I have to test it carefully, but it looks good. It returned to 106 package, which is supposed to perform better...
EDIT: Worked pretty good as expected 😉

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
May 8, 2018 4:57 pm  

Updated to 10.13.4 with no problems.
No issues so far, except the usual things:
- Login-logout-login process...
- When turning off after using eGPU, I have a black screen of death, and when you return to macOS it always says that there was a problem in the OS and had to restart...
For the rest, pretty much the same. I think with no improvements, except having the last OS.
Hopefully this could be resolved one day.
EDIT: just when I post this, I had glitches in my screen, like a diagonal thick line... I couldn't get a picture, and if I get it again, hopefully I can take a photo...

Here the log:

$ bash <(curl -s  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/learex/macOS-eGPU/master/macOS-eGPU.sh) 

macOS-eGPU.sh (v0.1α)

USAGE TERMS of macOS-eGPU.sh
# 1. You may use this script for personal use.
# 2. You may continue development of this script at it's GitHub homepage.
# 3. You may not redistribute this script or portions thereof from outside of it's GitHub homepage without explicit written permission.
# 4. You may not compile, assemble or in any other way make the source code unreadable by a human.
# 5. You may not implement this script or protions therof into other scripts and/or applications without explicit written permission.
# 6. You may not use this script, or portions thereof, for any commercial purposes.
# 7. You accept the license terms of all downloaded and/or executed content, even content that has only indirectly been been downloaded and/or executed by macOS-eGPU.sh.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
# AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
# LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
# OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
# THE SOFTWARE.

Do you agree with the license terms of the script and wish to continue?
[y]es [n]o : y

The script will now close (kill) all programs.
Please abort the script now should you wish to do it manually and save your work.
Please do not, under any circumstances abort the script later during the execution.
This might break your system.

The script might automatically reboot the system after successful execution.
To safely abort the script now, press ^C.
Continuing in

macOS-eGPU.sh (v0.1α)

Accept license terms... [done]
Killing all other running programs...App Store, Google Chrome
 [OK]
Fetching system information...
 macOS info [done]
 system integrity protection [done]
 thunderbolt version [done]
 GPU information [done]
 installed eGPU software [done]
 installed patches [done]
 installed programs [done]
Setting internal switches...
Fetching CUDA needs...
 fetching CUDA requiring apps list [done]
 preparing matching [done]
 matching [done]
Checking for incompatibilies and up to date software...
 NVIDIA drivers [update scheduled]
 NVIDIA eGPU enabler [update scheduled]
 AMD legacy drivers [skip]
 T82 unblocker [skip]
 NVIDIA dGPU deactivator [skip]
 macOS 10.13.4 NVIDIA patch [install scheduled]
 macOS 10.13.4 thunderbolt 1/2 unlock [skip, not needed]
 CUDA software
 CUDA drivers [install scheduled]
 CUDA developer driver [skip]
 CUDA toolkit [skip]
 CUDA samples [skip]
Checking if SIP is sufficently disabled... [OK]

Download external content...
--- NVIDIA drivers ---
######################################################################## 100.0%
--- NVIDIA eGPU enabler ---
--- CUDA driver ---
Checking for elevated privileges...
 elevating privileges
 Password:
 checking for elevated privileges [OK]

Uninstalling...
 NVIDIA driver [done]
 NVIDIA eGPU support [done]
Installing...
 NVIDIA driver [done]
 NVIDIA eGPU support [done]
 NVIDIA macOS 10.13.4 unlock [done]
 CUDA [done]
Patching...
File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: 

Finish...
 cleaning system [done]
Rebuilding caches
 kext cache [done]
 system cache [done]
A reboot will soon be performed...
reboot: / is busy updating, waiting for lock (this might take approx 15-30s)...
reboot: / is busy updating; waiting for lock

$ 
 [Restored 8 May 2018 at 18:18:35]
Last login: Tue May 8 18:18:32 on console
Restored session: Tue May 8 18:17:56 CEST 2018
$ 

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
May 8, 2018 5:34 pm  

I realised that I didn't installed the security update after installing 10.13.4. So, after the installation I executed again the script as before.
The difference was, the script realised the CUDA driver was already installed and with the latest version so, didn't need to install it. For the rest, pretty the same as the previous log.
Pretty straight forward. Nice, easy and clean 😉

ReplyQuote