late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP460 + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS10.12 & Windows 10 [ryokun6] // HOWTO: internal LCD mode  

ryokun6
(@ryokun6)
April 25, 2017 8:49 am  

After multiple trials and errors, I managed to get the setup working on macOS and on Windows with accelerated internal display via Nvidia Optimus.

To update Akitio Node firmware, you need a working install of Windows 10 on Boot Camp, then proceed with this method.

After firmware update is complete, restart in macOS with the eGPU plugged in. Setup on macOS was fairly straight forward with the automate-eGPU.sh script. You can find the instructions here.

To get Optimus working on Windows, the key is to keep integrated graphics enabled and disable Radeon 460 to prevent code 12 error. Here are the steps:

• Uninstall Radeon drivers with DDU. This is required because Radeon driver interferes with integrated graphics and will cause following step to fail.
  • Enable integrated graphics with apple_set_os.efi. Install reFind and copy the efi file to /Volumes/ESP/EFI/custom. From now on, always run apple_set_os.efi before booting to Windows.
  • You should see two display adapters in device manager. Install Intel 530 Graphics Driver.
  • Install vcredist_x86, then run gpu-switch integrated.bat with Admin privileges, it will make the internal display to use integrated graphics on reboot.
  • Restart with eGPU plugged in. You should see your eGPU in device manager. Install Nvidia drivers.
  • Restart with apple_set_os.efi with eGPU plugged in. Your eGPU should be recognized but with code 12 error. I fixed this by disabling the PCIe x16 bridge that hosts the Radeon 460. There are other ways to fix it but are more complicated and risky. Do this by going to Device Manager->View->Devices by connection. Find your Radeon RPxx dGPU.  Directly above it will be a PCI Express Port. Right click, then disable it to free up resources for the eGPU to use.
  • Run gpu-switch again then restart with eGPU plugged in. Your eGPU and integrated graphics should be working and the eGPU will accelerate graphic intensive applications. 🎉🎉🎉
  • Important‼️: If you want to boot into macOS, before restarting always re-enable the PCIe x16 bridge. macOS will reroute the internal display to Radeon, if you disabled Radeon or the PCIe bridge hosting it in Windows, this will cause the next boot to hang.
Edited: 3 months  ago

late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP460 + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS & Windows 10

nickciao, tygpu, Anima and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Mgear1981
(@mgear1981)
Eminent Member
April 25, 2017 9:47 pm  

Thank you! Awesome guide Will try it out.

ReplyQuote
mbhdtech
(@mbhdtech)
May 1, 2017 2:20 am  

Thank you for the comprehensive guide. I will most likely try this with the Node and a 1060. I will be doing this on my MB Pro 2016 RP 450.

I have one question. When you uninstall the Radeon driver using DDU, does this mean that I cannot use the RP450 when I’m on the go? I like to play games once in a while (in windows) when I’m on the go, so I was just wondering If i did this procedure, would my RP 450 be disable for long term

Thanks again. I will probably try these steps and let you know how it goes! 

ReplyQuote
asiboy14
(@asiboy14)
May 3, 2017 7:42 pm  

Very new to the eGPU game here so apologies in advance for the question. Would this method have to be applied for the 13″ MacBook Pro with touch bar as well? The reason I ask is that it only has Intel dedicated graphics. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 3, 2017 8:18 pm  
Posted by: asiboy14

Very new to the eGPU game here so apologies in advance for the question. Would this method have to be applied for the 13″ MacBook Pro with touch bar as well? The reason I ask is that it only has Intel dedicated graphics. Thanks!

Similar, but easier. Pls peruse an implementation guide for your iGPU-only system which is simpler:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter=%222016%20touchbar%22#search

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
Jerry1394
(@jerry1394)
May 4, 2017 7:10 am  

Thanks for the awesome guide, I had the same macbook pro and 980ti thus I purchased the Akitio Node. I got stuck with code 12 following your guide as I don’t know which device to disable to free up the resource.

Could you please post on which device you disabled to resolve the code 12? I have managed getting intel 530 in the device manager and working.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 4, 2017 7:19 am  

@Jerry1394, in Windows go to Device Manager->View->Devices by connection. Find your Radeon RPxx dGPU.  Directly above it will be a PCI Express Port. Right click, then disable it to free up resources for the eGPU to use. 

Edited: 10 months  ago

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jerry1394
(@jerry1394)
May 4, 2017 12:31 pm  

Thank you for the timely reply, really appriciate it

I was on the road and just got home. I did as you descirbed and there is something hanppening: I saw my 980ti icon restore to nomarl version (without the warning sign indicating error 12). Before I declare victory the screen become totally blue with write horizental strips. I did every step faithfully and I suspect the port I am using. I am changing the port of egpu from far right to close left. Do you mind telling me what’s your port of a successful setup?

ReplyQuote
mort3m
(@mort3m)
May 5, 2017 12:09 pm  

After fiddling with all the possible solutions to fix error 12 I also ended up doing this strategy.

Install Windows

Plug in eGPU

Boot Windows

Install Nvidia drivers

Disable AMD Graphic

Run integrated.bat (to allow Windows to use Intel GPU after reboot)

Boot Windows with set_apple.efi so the Macbook doesn’t shut down the Intel GPU

Install Intel drivers

Profit. 

In the end you want a setup where the dGPU is disabled because it draws to much memory and let the internal GPU power the macbook LCD and the eGPU to power the external monitor.

In my opinion, this is by far the easiest solution.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
dtmills
(@dtmills)
May 21, 2017 9:18 pm  

Disabling the PCI express port appears to make USB 3+ not work. Anybody had a similar issue?

ReplyQuote
nickciao
(@nickciao)
June 23, 2017 6:18 am  

Just picking up my Node + 1080ti and perusing these instructions before the hardware arrives.  Thanks for the great write up!

Do you have to re-run gpu_switch everytime you disconnect your eGPU and take your macbook out?  Or is it a one-time thing and Optimus just handles everything properly thereafter, even in the absence of a connected eGPU?

Edited: 8 months  ago

ReplyQuote
hiltr0n
(@hiltr0n)
July 14, 2017 7:25 pm  

Thanks ryokun6 for the write-up. Similarly with trial and error I have it almost there. My current hiccup is I see error code 43 and the eGPU is disabled. Using NVIDIA drivers 384.76. In my research, other people with code 43 error got past it with installing older drivers but the ones they are using don’t have 1080ti support. Any thoughts on how to get past code 43?

ReplyQuote
rodjar
(@rodjar)
August 4, 2017 10:26 pm  

Hey all, I am also having this issue- specifically if I plug in a samsung t3 ssd drive it causes the entire os to crash immediately. Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
nikwho
(@nikwho)
September 11, 2017 4:02 pm  

Hi everyone, sorry if this question will look dumb, but I’m stuck at the step where I’m installing Intel drivers. Basically, installation fails with “System didn’t meet minimal requirements” message. I kind of expected this (because of Bootcamp), but was hoping that it should go smooth since there are no complaints about it. Anyone has any guesses how this could be addressed?

Thanks

Edited: 5 months  ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
September 11, 2017 4:24 pm  

@nikwho, that message means the Installer could not find an active Intel iGPU. Read goalque’s guide to keep iGPU activated when booting into Windows.

Numerous implementation guides

ReplyQuote
Ch0nDa
(@ch0nda)
November 27, 2017 4:08 am  

This is the only one that can get me going on 10.13.1 +.  Thanks so much…  

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register