2016 15" MacBook Pro RP460 + GTX980Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS10.12&Win10 [Mikeal]^ //Clover DSDT in memory override  

Page 1 / 2 Next

Mikeal
(@mikeal)
February 22, 2017 8:20 pm  

OS X Razer Core Setup

I am using the right side, back TB3 connector for everything in this guide.  I am still actively editing this / adding pictures / etc.

1. Disable System Integrity Protection
    1. Reboot into recovery mode
      1. Restart and hold the option key until you get the boot menu
      2. Boot into recovery partition
      3. Utilities > Terminal
      4. crsutil disable
    2. Reboot back into OS X
  2. Download the TB3-enable.py script from:
    1. https://github.com/KhaosT/tb3-enabler
  3. Open Terminal
    1. sudo python tb3enable.py apply
      1. Leave Terminal open
      2. If you get the disable System Integrity Protection error go back to step 1
  4. If you have an nvidia card, and you already have the web driver installed, uninstall it
  5. Download the zip and extract the automate-egpu.sh script from:
    1. https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU
  6. Reboot
  7. Go back to terminal
    1. chmod +x automate-egpu.sh
    2. sudo sh automate-egpu.sh
      1. http://imgur.com/0QWX2vA  
      2. GPU should be detected, web driver downloaded if nvidia
        1. If not detected change the TB3 port to the other on the right side, and then swap it right back
      3. Will ask you to reboot, don’t yet
    3. Set the nvram boot-args in terminal:
      1. sudo nvram boot-args=’kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1′
        1. http://imgur.com/1mvgUe0  
        2. Sometimes this value gets lost, mostly after crashing or rebooting back into OS X after using the eGPU in Windows.  Just reset it.
  8. Reboot
  9. Enjoy OS X with the Razer Core.
    1. http://imgur.com/yvri0vv  
    2. If you want network card drivers, they are available here: http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88179_178A_Macintosh_10.6_to_10.12_Driver_Installer_v2.8.0_20161108.zip

Windows 10 – Clover DSDT memory override

BIG WARNING by nando4 >> @Goalque has correctly identified that Clover loads a DSDT table in firmware volume and as such can brick a Macbook as this user  found. If you proceed with using Clover to do a DSDT override the  you do so at your own risk!! For risk-adverse users it is suggested to simply do a DSDT registry override and persevere with Windows’ test signing mode until other solutions are found and presented.

1. Unplug the Razer Core and use a normal power supply to charge the MacBook pro
  2. If you have existing partitions besides the original OS X install, delete them all now so you only have 1 large OS X partition
  3. Use bootcamp assistant to create a new windows partition, and Install Windows 10
    1. I’m using insider build 1607×64
  4. Make sure the bootcamp drivers install
    1. This crashes if the Razer Core is plugged in
  5. Shutdown Windows, plug the eGPU back in if you want to use it for the next part in OS X
  6. Create a fat32 1g partition for Clover on the main SSD
    1. http://imgur.com/b89IRLC
  7. Download and install clover, choosing the 1g partition as the install destination.
    1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/
    2. Clover_v2.4k_r4012.zip is the version I’m using
  8. Make the DSDT override files using Maciasl
    1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/maciasl/  
      1. Picture of editing location
    2. Make the QWordMemory modification, copied here:

Search for “ResourceProducer”.  Beneath it will be a series of “DWordMemory” resource entries. Under the last DWordMemory entry in that area, typically above the _CRS method, add a ‘QWordMemory’ (64-bit) entry as shown in red below. The range chosen is in the 36-bit range (< 64GB) to maintain compatibility with the PAE-capable 32-bit Windows. A location above 48GB was chosen to alleviate issues with 32GB equipped systems. Here we use between 48.5GB to 56.25GB. Once systems start shipping with 64GB, this will need to be revised to 64-bit space.

3. DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
         0x00000000,         // Granularity
         0x000A0000,         // Range Minimum
         0x000BFFFF,         // Range Maximum
         0x00000000,         // Translation Offset
         0x00020000,         // Length
         ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
      QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
         0x0000000000000000, // Granularity
         0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum,  set it to 48.5GB
         0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum,  set it to 56.25GB
         0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset
         0x00000001F0000000, // Length calculated by Range Max - Range Min.
         ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
      })
         Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)  // _CRS: Current Resource Settings

‌Save as DSDT.aml‌

9. Place the DSDT override files in patched, and windows folders of the 1g clover installation
    1. Clover partition > EFI > CLOVER > ACPI > patched & windows
      1. http://imgur.com/i7TmdGn
  10. Change the startup disk to OS X
    1. system > startup disk
  11. Reboot holding the option key, and select EFI Boot
    1. Install nvidia(nvidia.com) / razer drivers(auto loads).
    2. Reboot, holding option key again and selecting EFI Boot
  12. Enjoy full Windows (no test signing mode) & eGPU functionality with ‘large memory’ area in Device Manager to indicate DSDT override was a success show below.
    1. Sometimes Microsoft auto updates the nvidia drivers, and things go very poorly.  I’ve had to reinstall a stable driver multiple times.

[ click to zoom ]

nando4 additions>>

Update:  I still have an error 12 with the ‘large memory’ area present. How can I fix it?

If Win10 doesn’t automatically allocate your eGPU into the 36-bit space and still see error 12 then there are some further options to pursue:

i. Use the bcdedit forcedisable option to override the advanced PCI Express features and use legacy PCI Express behavior as explained by Microsoft. madjester confirmed this fixed error 12 on 2015 13″ MBP after doing a DSDT override here (thank you!)

bcdedit.exe -set PCIEXPRESS FORCEDISABLE

ii.  Work through https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/

My internal soundcard doesn’t work after applying this fix. What can I do?

See solution at https://egpu.io/forums/implementation-guides/2016-macbook-13-tb-akitio-thunder3-evga-gtx-1060-6gb/#post-2614

Edited: 3 months  ago

nando4, goalque and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Honorable Member Admin

raphax liked
ReplyQuote
raphax
(@raphax)
February 22, 2017 9:41 pm  

Hi!!!

I followed the tutorial and I’m with the same issues on both systems (macOS and Windows).

macOS:

Automate-gpu recognize my gpu without problem, but when I restart I get the same screen saying there is a monitor as the picture…

Captura de Tela 2017 02 22 às 18.32.58

Edited: 12 months  ago

Macbook Pro 13" 2016 (Two Thunderbolt Port)
Akitio Thunder3 (Default)
ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 1050TI 4GB

eGPU working with macOS High Sierra and Windows 10 Bootcamp.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Honorable Member Admin
February 22, 2017 9:57 pm  

@Raphax:

Switch to Kepler or Maxwell, Nvidia does not provide drivers for Pascal series cards on macOS.

automate-eGPU.shapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + Vega64@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/RX580@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

raphax liked
ReplyQuote
barefeats
(@barefeats)
March 1, 2017 4:56 pm  

Thanks for your excellent guide. I was frustrated trying to get the Razer Core to work with the ‘late 2016’ MacBook Pro under Sierra. I was on the verge of selling the Core on eBay. This added step got me over the hump:

Set the nvram boot-args in terminal: sudo nvram boot-args=’kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1′

The EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti is ‘humming’ nicely connected to a Dell 5K display — using full Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth.

ReplyQuote
barefeats
(@barefeats)
March 3, 2017 9:26 pm  

Just wanted you to know that I have the RX 480 in the AKiTiO Node connected to the 2013 Mac Pro cylinder. It’s running everything including the latest version of FCPX. The RX 480 complements the pair of FirePro D700s inside the Mac Pro. The three GPUs share the load nicely when running apps like LuxMark and Resolve. The RX 480 is connected via single DisplayPort cable to a Dell 5K display running at 4K rez. I am running Sierra 10.12.2. It seems to ‘like’ the RX 480 better than 10.12.3. For ‘CUDA only’ apps like Octane Render, I switch to the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

goalque, Mikeal and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Mikeal
(@mikeal)
March 3, 2017 9:58 pm  

@barefeats can you gracefully disconnect the 480 without rebooting? Does it always work right away when reconnected without rebooting?  One of my annoyances with the nvidia card is every time I disconnect it I get a crash state, even if disconnected while the macbook is powered off.

ReplyQuote
Akiraovi
(@akiraovi)
March 4, 2017 8:42 am  

Hi,Mikeal:

First thank you for sharing your experience.

I followed your steps to successfully install Clover,Reboot Select EFI,And then prompted the error blue screen,get error code:0xc000000e  …. 

http://imgur.com/a/xL9BI

I reinstall mac & windows 10 (1607 x64) ,The same mistake happened.

I use the device is:2016 15″ MacBook Pro RX460 + GTX980Ti  +  razer core

If you see this,Please help me, thank you .

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 4, 2017 8:46 am  

I followed your steps to successfully install Clover,Reboot Select EFI,And then prompted the error blue screen,get error code:0xc000000e  …. 

If loading your DSDT override via Windows registry gives a BSOD then you have an invalid DSDT override and need to create a new one.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
Akiraovi
(@akiraovi)
March 4, 2017 9:04 am  

Thanks for your reply, nando4 .

I try to start from your tutorial again: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#step2

(I am from China, I do not understand how these complex code works, can only follow your tutorial to do it, thank you again for sharing.    ^_^)

ReplyQuote
Mikeal
(@mikeal)
March 4, 2017 9:15 am  

@Akiraovi Maciasl is really easy if you do it in OS X.  

ReplyQuote
Akiraovi
(@akiraovi)
March 4, 2017 9:23 am  

I tried to learn it, thank you for sharing, though i did not succeed.  ^_^

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member
March 5, 2017 9:46 pm  

I have the 2016 15″ fully maxed out Macbook Pro with the 2tb harddrive instead of the 1tb here. I’m assuming I can look forward to the same error 12 when trying to do a bootcamp win 10 partition and the eGPU. With that, this guide should work for my system? 

I’ll be running the Akitio Node w/ a GTX Titan X. I find a lot of this discouraging, I didn’t realize running the Win 10 bootcamp partition was going to be so problematic I figured it would’ve been the smoother of the two OS’s, the clover override stuff seems very spooky.

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
March 20, 2017 6:35 pm  

I have the same 2016 15″ Macbook Pro with the RP460, using the Core and a GTX 970 and can’t for the life of me get it to work. I’ve been scouring the internet for weeks so I can do a video to help others who want to get it to work in OSX. I tried your steps and all I get is “NVIDIA Chip Model” and won’t recognize any displays plugged in etc. Any advice is appreciated, would love to get this working so I can do the video for others.

Thanks!

Edited: 11 months  ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
March 20, 2017 6:52 pm  
Posted by: TheUnlockr

I have the same 2016 15″ Macbook Pro with the RP460, using the Core and a GTX 970 and can’t for the life of me get it to work. I’ve been scouring the internet for weeks so I can do a video to help others who want to get it to work in OSX. I tried your steps and all I get is “NVIDIA Chip Model” and won’t recognize any displays plugged in etc. Any advice is appreciated, would love to get this working so I can do the video for others.

Thanks!

I’d recommend checking your steps with our eGPU for Mac setup guide. Do a complete uninstall then redo if needed.

Edited: 11 months  ago

Numerous implementation guides

ReplyQuote
Mikeal
(@mikeal)
March 20, 2017 6:58 pm  

@theunlockr

nvram boot-args 

Check if options match, if not:

sudo nvram boot-args=’kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1′ 

and try rebooting, else

Uninstall the nvidia driver, reboot, sudo sh automate-eGPU.sh (check if it identifies the card correctly when the script is running)

then sudo nvram boot-args=’kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1′  as the automate-eGPU script wipes the nvram boot args and reboot.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
March 22, 2017 5:33 am  

So I’ve gone through that and I’ve done it all already and am using compatible card, enclosure, and MacBook according to it. I have the exact same setup as the OP but just a GTX 970. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled everything and even reinstalled Sierra for good measure and nothing is working. About to just try a different enclosure but I already have the Core so would be great to get that working.

Anything maybe I can check to indicate/narrow down possible issues?

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
March 22, 2017 5:36 am  

Thanks for this. I ended up doing this when I found this guide originally and they match. Even undid everything and went and did it all again and using 

sudo nvram boot-args=’kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1′ 

Worked to get it to match again and still nothing. Tried different ports, even reinstalling Sierra and no luck.

Any ideas of what I can check that might indicate the issue? Otherwise I might have to grab a different enclosure and see if that at least works (or borrow someone else’s Mac if I can find one…)

Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
Mikeal
(@mikeal)
March 25, 2017 2:12 am  

@theunlockr if you want to install teamviewer, and join the discord server, I’d be happy to go over things with you this weekend at some point.

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
March 31, 2017 5:40 pm  

Hey man, I really appreciate that. Sorry for the delay, I had to prepare for the damn Samsung event this week and get a bunch done before that put a halt on life. 

Maybe tomorrow if you’re around? Otherwise, I don’t want to take up a bunch of your time, is there just any other resources for some solutions? I’m at the point of maybe just trying a different housing or Macbook :/

Thanks again,

ReplyQuote
Mikeal
(@mikeal)
March 31, 2017 9:53 pm  

I’m around this weekend.  After I reboot from Windows back into OS X sometimes it takes me doing the last few steps of the process 5+ times before OS X detects everything correctly again.  If you never reboot into Windows though once you have it working in OS X it keeps working just have to reboot if reconnected.

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
April 3, 2017 7:01 pm  

So wait maybe that’s the issue. I’ve never loaded Bootcamp or Windows on the Macbook. Is that required? And what do you need to do in Windows before you can then use it in Mac? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Lazer
(@lazer)
April 5, 2017 11:53 am  

Did you figure out your issue?

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
April 5, 2017 3:48 pm  

Not yet. Wondering if it has to do with the fact I never booted windows on the Mac. Seems like a common thread for everyone that had it working is they did that first.

I had to sell the MacBook Pro I had, so I’ll have to borrow someone’s in the office to finish the video. Seeing if anyone can confirm you need to not into Windows first before I commandeer someone’s and start messing with it lol

ReplyQuote
Mikeal
(@mikeal)
April 5, 2017 4:53 pm  

@theunlockr I’ve done it without installing windows several times.  I should be available Sat/Sun if you want to setup a time.  

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
April 5, 2017 5:05 pm  

@mikeal ah ok, well I have to get a laptop to borrow and they’re all in the office so weekend might be rough. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks again though for helping.

ReplyQuote
Lazer
(@lazer)
April 5, 2017 9:20 pm  

Have you been using an external monitor? I think that is required.

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
April 5, 2017 11:30 pm  

@Lazer I used one, the Mac just won’t see the graphics card at all, sees the Core but not the GPU (and the Core and GPU work fine with my Razer Blade and Blade Stealth I have here and the monitor I was using for those, but that makes sense, it’s just Mac having issues).

ReplyQuote
Lazer
(@lazer)
April 6, 2017 12:33 pm  

I’m not sure if this matters I could be mistaken. Are you using hdmi or dvi? Like I said not entirely sure a lot of photos and videos I’ve seen they all have a dvi cable

ReplyQuote
TheUnlockr
(@theunlockr)
April 6, 2017 1:03 pm  

I tried a mDisplayPort and HDMI. Is a DVI required?

ReplyQuote
Lazer
(@lazer)
April 6, 2017 1:40 pm  

https://www.theitsage.com/beginners-egpu-setup-guide-mac/

Never mind, found this setup guide and it says “External monitor with either HDMI, DVI, or DisplayPort

TheUnlockr liked
ReplyQuote
Creativity
(@creativity)
April 8, 2017 9:45 pm  
Posted by: nando4

If loading your DSDT override via Windows registry gives a BSOD then you have an invalid DSDT override and need to create a new one.

Hey @nando4, I’ve getting the same issue and I’ve used Maciasl to compile dsdt.aml file. I’ve successfully loaded dsdt.aml under testingmode on, but with clover I’ve been running into the same blue screen. Any solution you might suggest for me to do?

ReplyQuote
Lazer
(@lazer)
April 11, 2017 2:07 am  

Having trouble getting my MBP to recognize the GPU. Core works, installed the drivers just fine. Can’t get the gpu to show up or an external monitor to recognize. Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated!

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Pupkins
(@pupkins)
April 11, 2017 6:23 am  

@Lazer I am having a similar issue, but running MacOS 10.12.4, on the latest MBPtb 2016, and a Razer Core with the 980ti.

Have tried everything I can think of, but still can’t get the card to recognize properly. In System Information it says NVIDIA Chip Model. Screenshot of terminal install of automate script and system info attached.

ReplyQuote
Lazer
(@lazer)
April 11, 2017 2:05 pm  

@Pupkins, I am running 10.12.3 on the latest MBPtb 2016 maybe we need to do something in windows?

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Pupkins
(@pupkins)
April 11, 2017 3:39 pm  

Did you update macOS since your last post? Your terminal screenshot says 10.12.3

Just curious since we have the exact same setup but the wording in our Display/Graphics section is slightly different.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register