2017 15" Dell Inspiron 7567 i7-7700HQ/GTX1050Ti + GTX980Ti@32Gbps-M2 (ADT R43SL) + Win10 [Hunew]^  

Hunew
(@hunew)
July 20, 2017 7:15 pm  

I’ve just done what is probably the best bang-per-buck eGPU implementation available. Here I avoid the performance and price pitfalls of Thunderbolt 3 (stupidly expensive eGPU > $269 enclosures && crippled 22Gbps bandwidth with a slow TB3 encoder/decoder) and instead have gone for a direct M.2 PCIe link with 32Gbps bandwidth. My eGPU adapter cost me US$12!!

Performance is mega. I play PUBG on middle setting with 70~80 FPS and no frame drops.   A massive boost over the system’s  GTX1050Ti dGPU which is laggy in PUBG with many dropped frames. My implementation details are below:

Notebook

2017 15″ Dell Inspiron 7567
i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz CPU
32GB DDR4 RAM
NVidia GTX1050Ti dGPU & Intel HD630 iGPU
FHD 1920×1080 LCD. I upgraded from a TN to an IPS panel.
120GB M.2 SSD relocated to 2.5″ SATA drive bay via an enclosure. M.2 slot being used for my eGPU.
Windows 10 Pro

eGPU Gear

ADT R43SL M.2 to PCIe adapter (US$12 on Taobao – about US$40 on another site)
Zotac Omega NVidia GTX980Ti video card
Enhance ATX 0260GB 600w 80Plus Gold PSU

Benchmarks, dGPU was disabled for eGPU Optimus internal LCD

CUDA Z
unigine
gpu z

Hardware Pics

5 underside close
4 underside
3 GPU
2 board
1 desk

Setting M.2 port  hot plug enabled so can use a GTX10xx card

The M.2 port didn’t have hot plug enabled which would mean I could not upgrade to a GTX10xx card due to a driver error 43 as described here.

So I followed this guide to enable the port #9 (M.2) port hot plug mode successfully.  In my IFR file I acquired the ‘setup_var 0xA64 0x1’ commandline to do this with. Now I can upgade to a GTX10xx in the future.

hotplug enabled
grub2 hotplug
hotplug off

Acknowledgement

Thank you to Nando4 for guiding me through enabling hotplugging & gathering the pertinent info for this guide 🙂

Parallel reddit discussion about this implementation

Is here.

Edited: 7 months  ago

Alberth-OC, 3RYL, thegameplayer and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
thegameplayer
(@thegameplayer)
July 24, 2017 4:49 pm  

Thanks for sharing op!

I’m trying to do as much research as I can for this.

Is the PSU connected to the card and the adapter (4pin)?

The adapter is only connected to the notebook with M.2, no HDMI or anything else?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 24, 2017 5:06 pm  

I helped Hunew with this guide and implementation.

Yes, the 4pin PSU plug supplies 75W M.2 adapter PCIe slot power. Then the PSU also plugs into the PCIe power connectors on the video card.

Yes, there is no HDMI/DVI cable connected from the video card to the LCD. He is running an eGPU accelerated internal LCD mode.

He’s force to do that. He upgraded from a working GTX980 to this GTX980Ti whose DVI/HDMI outputs are blown, suspected due to the previous owner running a highly overclocked AMP! VBIOS on the Omega card.  We tried many things to get the external LCD going via HDMI/DVI since since the benchmarks would have been even better then.  We know they were faulty HDMI/DVI ports as his previous GTX980 card did allow HDMI/DVI connected external LCD use. He’s in the process of acquiring a Titan Black as a fix 🙂

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Trusted Member
July 25, 2017 8:13 pm  

That is if your laptop’s WiFi slot accepts anything other than WiFi cards. This is BIOS related.

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 [Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU] + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

ReplyQuote
skuzhh
(@skuzhh)
August 7, 2017 4:53 am  

How long did your adapter take to ship to you? and what length cable did you get? this actually helped me out alot since I have the same laptop lol.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 7, 2017 5:41 am  

@skuzhh, I was the go-between to get Hunew’s implementation on here, creating the guide from email/facebook exchange. It means he’s unlikely respond.

So instead I suggest you ask the vendors selling these ADT adapters for an ETA on delivery. 

Using the 39cm wide notebook for visual reference, I’d say he is using a 40cm or 50cm cable.

ReplyQuote
DasDing6
(@dasding6)
August 7, 2017 9:41 am  

@nando4

I’m curious if this will work with the older Dell Inspiron 7559 models, as they are significantly cheaper?

Anyway, thanks for this detailed writeup.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 7, 2017 9:54 am  

@DasDing6, according to notebookcheck the Inspiron 7559 SSD is a SATA SK hynix SC300 M.2.  If it was a NVME/PCIe SSD, then the slot would route PCIe and potentially be used to host an eGPU. Unless Dell used the chipset flex I/O feature to mux through SATA and PCIe outlined here, then it’s no go.

ReplyQuote
DasDing6
(@dasding6)
August 7, 2017 10:04 am  

@nando4

Thanks for clarification and for the fast answer. I will have to stick to the 7567 then.

ReplyQuote
Alberth-OC
(@alberth-oc)
October 8, 2017 8:33 pm  

What a fantastic job! Another adapter that can be used as eGPU and is much cheaper with EXP GDC V9.0b and PE4C V4.1. If someone can help me in a doubt I thank: In the link that the Hunew put of the adapter, there are two versions, one that redirects on the website of the manufacturer and the other on the website of taobao. My question is; Is there a difference between the ADT R43SL for the ADT R43SF? At the end of the year I’ll be getting ready to buy an a machine for eGPU M.2 and I need the help now so I do not buy anything wrong by then! Thank You!

ReplyQuote
ZitoBandito
(@zitobandito)
October 9, 2017 2:20 pm  

Thank you for this guide, it’s really helpful! This looks like a dream budget setup I could technically pull off with my new Dell Precision 7510 I just got at my new office! …Unless it’s not.

Actually, I’m wondering how feasible my use case would be. I’d be taking this hardware home from work and plugging it into eGPU setup via M.2 port. Then, in the morning (after yet another senseless night spent killing monsters as Geralt of Rivia) I’d be unplugging it and going to work as nothing ever happened. Given the access to the port is not a problem (I’d simply leave the back lid unscrewed all the time), would an everyday routine like that damage the M.2 port? It wasn’t designed for such hotplug use. Also, wouldn’t the software setup be a hassle? Would I need to go through many preparatory steps (like installing drivers, turning off iGPU) every day to get that Witcher 3 running in the evening?

Maybe this is rather a stationary setup, not meant to be plugged/unplugged every day, as it would be simply impractical. Would anyone more experienced with M.2 setups give me some insight on the mobile viability of this solution? Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Gokuto
(@gokuto)
October 27, 2017 8:24 am  

Hi

I have some questions and I hope you can help me.
I have a 7567 too and i have some questions. I would be very happy if you could help me. 

We can’t do this though the wifi card slot right?
When i remove the ssd can i plug it with the hdd with something like a multiplier? Or i must choose between ssd and hdd? If we can use both of them how can we do it?

Thank you in advance.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
October 27, 2017 8:33 am  

Gotuko, per opening post, your system has a 2.5″ SATA and x4 3.0 M.2 drive slot. Hunew relocated his M.2 SSD to the 2.5″ slot using an enclosure:

120GB M.2 SSD relocated to 2.5″ SATA drive bay via an enclosure. M.2 slot being used for my eGPU.

That free up the x4 3.0 M.2 slot for eGPU use. Alternative, you can wifi port but that will give you a x1 3.0 link only. An eGPU using the x4 3.0 M.2 slot as Hunew has done,  giving near-desktop levels of performance. The i7-quad CPU making this a powerhouse.

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Gokuto
(@gokuto)
October 27, 2017 8:57 am  

Thank you for your replies. English is not my mother language and I may have some issues when understanding. Thanks again.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
yeahman2017
(@yeahman2017)
December 26, 2017 8:16 am  

I am planning to buy the the core i5 with 1050 (non-ti) version. This eGPU implementation should work fine right?

what is the difference between this adapter:

https://egpu.io/go/pce164pn03m2

and 

https://egpu.io/go/adtrm2

https://egpu.io/go/pce164pn03m2 should work similarly right?

ReplyQuote
(@patrololo)
January 26, 2018 1:16 pm  

So in theory it should be possible in:

Have you heard of any other possible, considerable-cheap candidates?

ReplyQuote
(@jacob_ferrari-shaikh)
February 6, 2018 8:42 pm  

I have a dell 7567 with a nivdia 1050 card. Can i install another 1050 card as my eGPU and have SLI/Crossfire enabled ? Because if i install something like a 980 i wont be able to use my 1050 and 980 at once right?

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register