2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 M2000M + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (AKITiO Node) + Win10 [delmarr]^  

delmarr
(@delmarr)
July 20, 2017 8:37 am  

Hi everyone,

I just received my Akitio Node. I was pretty confident that my configuration would be ok given the installation guide by w32asmguy, but it only kinda works.

Here is what I’ve got so far:

• the Node is detected (in the Thunderbolt software)
  • the GTX 1080Ti is detected (it appears in Windows Device Manager with no warning sign, nvidia-smi report looks fine, and I can connect/disconnect the GPU via the GPU Activity icon) and connecting a screen behind it works fine

BUT:

• the GPU fan is always 100%, which is beyond what’s bearable (both front fan and PSU fan are ok)
  • if I try to use the GPU with CUDA, I get an error message which basically says “Device found, but gpu is unavailable”.

What I have tried so far:

• Updated the BIOS, Thunderbolt firmware, Tunderbolt software and Node firmware to their latest versions
  • Updated NVidia drivers to 384.76 (GeForce version)
  • I use an HP Dock and the HP Zbook has two TB3 ports, so I tried all the possible configurations: w/o the dock on port 1 and port 2, and w/ the dock on port 1, port 2, and chained with the dock.
  • I also tried to disable the dGPU (an M2000M) in the ZBook. I can only do it in Windows, the BIOS only shows discrete/hybrid options.

Here are some details on my current configuration:

• HP ZBook 15 G3: Intel i7 6820HQ, RAM 32GB, Intel HD Graphics 530 (runs the built-in display), NVidia Quadro M2000M (runs 2 external displays), Win 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • TB3: NVM firmware version 18.05, PD firmware version 1.07.03, TB controller driver version 16.2.55.1, external GPUs supported: No (I’ve read that this is not a real issue, but I may be wrong)
  • Akitio Node with TB3 firmware update 1.0.0.4 B1-25+4.3.3
  • Gygabyte GTX 1080 Ti

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? Let me know if you need more details or screenshots.

Thanks!

Edited: 7 months  ago

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 20, 2017 11:29 am  

w32asmguy’s ZBook 15 G3 differs to your since he has no dGPU. You have an issue with Quadro and Geforce drivers being incompatible.  So let’s disable the dGPU from being visible to Windows.

Do that by going to Device Manager->View Devices by connection. Find the dGPU then directly above it will be a PCIe port. Disable that PCIe port. Then remove all existing NVidia drivers and proceed to load the GTX1080Ti drivers.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
delmarr
(@delmarr)
July 21, 2017 11:46 am  

Your solution was spot on, thanks so much! I’ve got it up and (quietly) running now, with the performance I would expect.

My hope was that I could use it for heavy computations only without attaching a display, while keeping the Quadro for basic hardware acceleration (e.g. Chrome). But it’s a small price to pay for such a gain in performance.

gtx1080ti perfs

Thanks, nando4!

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
win32asmguy
(@win32asmguy)
July 27, 2017 5:17 pm  
Posted by: delmarr

Your solution was spot on, thanks so much! I’ve got it up and (quietly) running now, with the performance I would expect.

My hope was that I could use it for heavy computations only without attaching a display, while keeping the Quadro for basic hardware acceleration (e.g. Chrome). But it’s a small price to pay for such a gain in performance.

gtx1080ti perfs

Thanks, nando4!

I am glad you got the 15 G3 working! If you end up just having the Quadro disabled most of the time in favor of the Geforce in the eGPU, you may be interested in trying to physically remove the card from your laptop. I have a 17 G3 setup this way. Alternatively, you may be able to find one of the MXM 3.0a 965M cards and install it into your 15 G3. That way the eGPU and built-in GPU would both be Geforce and therefore both use the same nVidia driver without conflicts.

2016 15" HP ZBook Studio G3 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register