2016 13" Macbook Pro non-TB + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS10.12 & Win10 [RBeck]^  

RBeck
(@rbeck)
July 23, 2017 1:48 pm  

This is a step by step guide of how I got my Akitio Node working after 4 hours of tinkering and trouble shooting.

Table of Content

– Windows 10 in Bootcamp setup

– Inital Setup of the Akitio Node

– Installing GPU and drivers

– Getting your Macbook to keep it’s iGPU active

Windows 10 in Bootcamp setup

Inital Setup of the Akitio Node

Step 1

Plug power into your Akitio Node, plug it into your Macbook and boot into windows (WITHOUT GPU INSTALLED).

Step 2

From here install the Thunderbolt Software and do not mind that you actually cannot open the program after installation. Reboot after installation.

Step 3 

Install the firmware upgrade from Akitio’s website called PC Updater v1.0.0.4 (NOT 1.0.0.5, it will not work). Reboot after installation and power off the Aktio Node.

So far so good.

Installing GPU and drivers

Step 1

Open up your Aktio Node and install your GPU.

Step 2

Head on over to Nvidia’s support page and fill out the form, (in here I chose GTX 1080), download and install the driver. Reboot after installation. If you get stuck at this point with Windows not loading, unplug your Node and boot up again.

Getting your Macbook to keep it’s iGPU active so you can use your Akitio Node with the internal display.

Following steps are also neccesary to use your Macbook in BOOTCAMP with external displays.

Step 1 

Boot into MacOS and follow the short guide here by goalque. Keep in mind for it to work for this specific Macbook Pro model the USB must be plugged into the first Thunderbolt port to the left of the escape key. Your Akitio Node must be plugged into the second port just below.

At this point in your device manager if you click properties on your GTX 1080 it will give you error 12. This is fine, as we will solve it below in Step 2.

Step 2 

Follow point 3. here. Basically just disable the marked device 9D19. Reboot one last time.

9D19

That’s it! As long as you have your USB handy you can boot with the Akitio Node using the internal display.

If you are wondering about how to make it work in MacOS just follow the standard installation guide in the top right hand corner.

Benchmarks

Ran Prey and Doom in which I got solid 60fps @ 2560×1600 all settings maxed out with AA @ x8 and v-sync enabled.

Also ran Unigine 2’s superposition benchmark:

Aktio Node on internal screen:

Benchmark eGPU results

Same GPU in desktop setup:

Only 19% higher than in extenal enclosure, cool huh?

Desktop Bench GPU OC CPU NON OC

Edited: 3 months  ago

Akitio Node with MSI GTX 1080 inside.

ppm and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
July 24, 2017 4:14 pm  

@RBeck Thank you for the step-by-step implementation of your late-2016 13″ MacBook Pro non-Touch Bar. Were you able to skip step 1 to keep iGPU activated in Bootcamp? I recall I did not have to do that step when I used the same setup as yours (980 Ti instead of 1080).

Numerous implementation guides

RBeck liked
ReplyQuote
RBeck
(@rbeck)
July 24, 2017 4:20 pm  

@theitsage Hi mate,

No I was not able to skip it unfortunately. Though I would have loved to.

Issue is that my MacBook simply would not boot into windows without the USB.

I would be stuck at the windows logo with no circle dots moving around. Sometimes it would say please wait. Other times it would just flicker. Never actually booting without.

Edited: 7 months  ago

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 24, 2017 4:23 pm  

Did you any of the hotplug methods to eliminate needing the USB stick? eg: ‘automate-egpu.sh -a’ amongst others at:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-egpu-detection-issues/

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

RBeck liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
July 24, 2017 4:32 pm  
Posted by: RBeck

@theitsage Hi mate,

No I was not able to skip it unfortunately. Though I would have loved to.

Issue is that my MacBook simply would not boot into windows without the USB.

I would be stuck at the windows logo with no circle dots moving around. Sometimes it would say please wait. Other times it would just flicker. Never actually booting without.

Give this boot delay a try. OPTION boot your MBP without eGPU connected. Wait for the WiFi to finish loading then select to boot into Windows partition. As soon as you see the Windows logo and spinning circles hot plug the eGPU.

Numerous implementation guides

RBeck liked
ReplyQuote
RBeck
(@rbeck)
July 24, 2017 5:01 pm  

@nando4

Hi mate,

Just tried 1,2,4 & 5.

None of them allowed me to boot into windows. I would be stuck at the windows boot logo. No. 5 gave me BSOD. All tested twice.

EDIT: @theitsage Also tried your option mate, it did not work. I made me stuck at boot screen now with circling dots moving but nothing else further from there.

Edited: 7 months  ago

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
RBeck
(@rbeck)
December 4, 2017 8:32 pm  

-deleted-

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote

Working