1080 Ti in eGPU with 2017 iMac in bootcamp

Notifications
Clear all

1080 Ti in eGPU with 2017 iMac in bootcamp  

of  3
  RSS

Hunk89
(@hunk89)

I made the decision to buy the imac based on what i have been told. eGPU works. Now i hear that it doesnt really work. Thats awesome.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
André Santos Silva
(@andre_santos_silva)

I know that there are posts in the forum detailing previous builds with imacs.

as far as I know, there is the possibility of using the internal screen as there is with other MacBooks. However, in order to use the internal screen it should be required to use a dummy port and to use the method from goalque(?).

2013 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Hunk89
(@hunk89)

Hey Andre,

9to5Mac says that you CAN use the Akitio Node with the internal display on Windows. It says "After Windows is installed on your MacBook Pro, simply connect the eGPU via a Thunderbolt 3 cable, and install the GPU drivers".

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
rcarr88
(@rcarr88)

@Hunk89 I am right there with you. I was under the impression that the 27in iMac 5k with an eGPU was plug and play on bootcamp. Apparently it is a more difficult setup to use the internal display. If anyone can weigh in on this topic and give us some information that would be great. 

I looked into some of the linked "dummy ports" and the resellers tell me they are not compatible with 5k iMac's. 

Would love to get this going to get a boost in my gaming on my iMac, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Hunk89
(@hunk89)

I bought the imac because i thought i could run an eGPU on the internal display.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: Hunk89

I bought the imac because i thought i could run an eGPU on the internal display.

Where did you read iMac 5K can run an eGPU for internal display acceleration plug-and-play?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alfyrx8
(@alfyrx8)

But i want to use the internal display. It all seems very complicated to me. What do i need to do and does it run smoothly or does it cause errors and trouble all the time?

oh I'm sorry, In your original post I didn't see anything about an internal monitor. How I read your post was, can the Akitio node work underboot camp on a 2017 imac

"Hey i was wondering does the akitio node run under bootcamp with the Aorus GTX 1080 Ti on my 2017 iMac?""

Anyways, I can't tell you if it works on internal, because I use an external monitor with mine.   but if you can tell me where you read that the 5k Imac can run a egpu on internal I would like to know.  Btw google is your best friend.  Because I was able to do a simple google search and found this article  https://egpu.io/forums/news/how-to-egpu-accelerated-internal-display-macos/  

and maybe if you buy this as well it might work, but If it does let us know Smile https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-Supporting-Thunderbolt/dp/B00X4S5C7G

ReplyQuote
Hunk89
(@hunk89)

Will the Macbook Pro 2017 work with eGPU? Is the new Macbook Pro good enough for gaming for the following years?

Is it sure that bootcamp and windows will continue to support the eGPU in the 2017 Macbook Pro for the following years?

Will the Fans go crazy with an eGPU?

I will not settle for frequent errors, dummy display, and frequent reboots with my iMac. Thats not what i call "working".

Thanks,
Hunk

ReplyQuote
alfyrx8
(@alfyrx8)

Will the Macbook Pro 2017 work with eGPU? Is the new Macbook Pro good enough for gaming for the following years?

Is it sure that bootcamp and windows will continue to support the eGPU in the 2017 Macbook Pro for the following years?

I will not settle for frequent errors, dummy display, and frequent reboots with my iMac. Thats not what i call "working".

Thanks,
Hunk

A little research I bet you can find all the answers you need.  
But good luck on the information you find and I hope its helpful. 

Yah EGPU most likely isn'tt best for you right now.  Maybe you should wait until Spring of 2018 and hopefully Apple has sorted out the EGPU thing 

ReplyQuote
Tom M
(@tom_m)

Thanks,
Hunk

No. I lost my install of high sierra and windows 10 pro bootcamp downgrading to sierra 10.12.6 trying to find compatibility SOMEWHERE. I ran every driver, restarted the computer 100 times (ATLEAST), spent hours in terminal running scripts and got every single error (black screen, drivers not recognised etc). 2017 15" kaby lake macbook pro using akitio node with a nvidia geforce 1080ti. It was ridiculous. No WAY is egpu supported any more than previous versions which required running scripts other than apple saying so on thier website. Latest nvidia driver didn't do anything, and CUDA isn't even updated to reflect the changes. Closest I got was in bootcamp with the egpu output a crappy, incorrect resolution. Obviously the computer wasn't using it at all. Uninstalled AMD drivers, nvidia drivers, reinstalled, put firmware onto the node. Downloaded thunderbolt 3 - well, tried to - it's not even supported in bootcamp. If you're wondering, yes, I did install older thunderbolt software into bootcamp. I tried internal displays, external displays, ghost displays. Everything. EVERYTHING. This high sierra native egpu support claim is complete bs - the whole thing is no where near supported enough for mainstream use. Not on mac os, not on bootcamp - using a top of the line 2017 10.13 high sierra MBP with a 1080 ti with all the latest software and drivers. And after downgrading my OS to sierra 10.12 which is near impossible to find a download for and resulted in losing my bootcamp partition - even older drivers with apparently proven results have not made 1080 ti appear on the graphics hardware in system profiler. The automate egpu script does recognise the 1080 ti. But the computer fails in some way, compatability, software, whatever - in my opinion, so far, to be of any practical use. I'll keep trying though.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  3