1080 Ti in eGPU with 2017 iMac in bootcamp

Notifications
Clear all

1080 Ti in eGPU with 2017 iMac in bootcamp  

of  3
  RSS

Hunk89
(@hunk89)

O boy... i dont want that. eGPU is not for me. I am running a Macbook Pro and a Gaming PC side by side now. KVM Switch.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
acantril
(@acantril)
Eminent Member

2017 macbook pro 15-inch and 13inch work fine as a gaming machine.

in macOS - its a AMD card atm - nvidia doesnt work, no output.

in windows... (see below - ive personally tested all of the below, with many games)

15-inch 

External screen - GTX 1080TI and VEGA64 work flawlessly. I've tested with 4k screens & 3440x1440 21:9 - very little performance loss.

Internal screen (or connected to laptop NOT the egpu) - VEGA 64 seems to work well - NVIDIA havent tried yet, too much hassle.

13-inch

External screen - both the GTX 1080TI and VEGA 64 work using the USB boot method to keep the iGPU active (assuming you want the internal screen on)

Internal screen - both the GTX 1080TI and VEGA 64 work using the USB boot method to keep the iGPU active - but there is a performance hit.

TL;dr . - with the 2017 model, ive had 0 issues... the large memory support means i can use all 4 TB3 ports and havent had code 12 issues, or any other isssues really.

2019 MacBook Pro 16" / i9-9880HK / 32GB / 5500M 8GB
Razer Core X Chroma / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Tom M
(@tom_m)

Posted by: acantril

2017 macbook pro 15-inch and 13inch work fine as a gaming machine.

in macOS - its a AMD card atm - nvidia doesnt work, no output.

in windows... (see below - ive personally tested all of the below, with many games)

15-inch 

External screen - GTX 1080TI and VEGA64 work flawlessly. I've tested with 4k screens & 3440x1440 21:9 - very little performance loss.

Internal screen (or connected to laptop NOT the egpu) - VEGA 64 seems to work well - NVIDIA havent tried yet, too much hassle.

13-inch

External screen - both the GTX 1080TI and VEGA 64 work using the USB boot method to keep the iGPU active (assuming you want the internal screen on)

Internal screen - both the GTX 1080TI and VEGA 64 work using the USB boot method to keep the iGPU active - but there is a performance hit.

TL;dr . - with the 2017 model, ive had 0 issues... the large memory support means i can use all 4 TB3 ports and havent had code 12 issues, or any other isssues really.

I am reinstalling high sierra on my 15" 2017 kaby lake macbook pro and will install bootcamp Windows 10 pro - using This method, I am confident through bootcamp I'll atleast be able to use my 1080ti akitio node with an external screen (which cost $1500 and $300 respectively). I am doing a clean reinstall because I have so many scripts coming up on log in saying something is wrong (notifications from egpu automate, CUDA, nvidia driver etc saying stuff isn't there anymore) so clean reinstall is the easiest way to get rid of all the crap which isn't easy to uninstall. Which is everything related to egpu setups it seems. I wish I could go back in time and not try to get internal screen working. That was were I went wrong and disabled my computer, resulting in having to reinstall The OS. 

My advice is to not even attempt to use an eGPU for your internal screen. Plug it into an external monitor using Bootcamp. Or Wait until nvidia and apple know what the they are doing. Then try

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nik.moretto
(@nik-moretto)

has anyone figured out how to use the 2017 imac internal 5k display? i have a 1080ti in a sonnet breakaway box. wanting to use in bootcamp. Would appreciate a DM thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  3