2 x 2080tis working - Trying to get a third working.

Notifications
Clear all

2 x 2080tis working - Trying to get a third working.  

RSS

Dan Brookes
(@dan_brookes)

Struggling to get more than 2 cards working on my Mac Mini (2018) with Bootcamp.

It seems 4 x TB3 canonly handle 2 ports 1 and 2 cant have 2 cards and ports 3 and can't have 2 cards.

Is there something I can do?

I assumed the Mac Mini with 4 x TB3 ports could in theory connect to 4 x eGPUs.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@dan_brookes, multiple Thunderbolt eGPUs can be daisy chained to the same port (up to 6 per chain). Multiple GPUs can be connected to a single Thunderbolt enclosure. So there's no limit except the OS and the number of PCIe buses. For macOS, four is a limit (but I forget what is limited in that case - i.e. what adding a fifth gives or doesn't give you).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Dan Brookes
(@dan_brookes)

@joevt

Thanks for the tip!

I have 3 x Razer Core X (3 x 2080ti) plus Mac Mini in Bootcamp (win 64)

How would I physically connect them to Daisy chain?

Sorry for Noob questions!

Dan

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

You would use a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of an eGPU box, make the GPU fit by using risers or cutting the box open or using a smaller GPU, and add a power supply.

Or use Blackmagic eGPUs.

The list of Thunderbolt 3 solutions in the Buyer Guide includes some that are not certified for eGPU use which have two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Dan Brookes
(@dan_brookes)

@joevt, Thanks!

Just seen this reply - sorry

OK, will investigate

ReplyQuote
Dan Brookes
(@dan_brookes)

@joevt, Don't suppose you could loosely recommend one?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@dan_brookes, they're all the same mostly.

ReplyQuote