2012 MBP 13" + Thunder2 + Radeon 560 (or GT 1030) troubles

Notifications
Clear all

2012 MBP 13" + Thunder2 + Radeon 560 (or GT 1030) troubles  

RSS

jorgethetalkinggoat
(@jorgethetalkinggoat)

I have a 13" Macbook Pro unibody (the one sold until 2016) running Catalina and Win 10 via Bootcamp. Has no dGPU, just an iGPU (HD 4000).

I picked up a used Thunder2 (with 120W power supply) from a buddy and an MSI AMD Radeon 560 on Amazon.

I have been unable to get the setup to do anything for Windows 10 (want to try to get the FPS on iRacing up a bit.

AMD Radeon 560:

• When installed in the case, everything turns on (fans, lights, etc.). Thunder2 hooks to Thunderbolt port on Mac (using bottom port). Hook up to a simple 21" flat panel via HDMI for testing.
  • When "plug and play" cold plugging, then booting into Win 10, I just get a black screen on both internal and external monitors.
  • When "plug and play" hot plugging, Win 10 only shows the iGPU under display adapters. Same with a "warm start" where I plug in during the boot process.
  • It appears Win 10 sees the Akitio box, but not the card.
  • When trying to install drivers from AMD's website, the driver install stops because it can't find supported hardware.
  • I set up automate-eGPU.sh on a flash drive (with Catalina fixes) but when booting to that it first gives an error "eGPU not detected" and the "q" "boot into Windows" freezes.

A couple other thoughts.

Win 10 is (by default) booting into Legacy BIOS. Is there a way to get UEFI boot without reinstalling Win 10? would this help anything?

Is there any way (or benefit) to force installing eGPU drivers even though Win 10 can't see the eGPU (it would have to override whatever AMD checks are in place for hardware connection).

I have an old GT 1030 in a dead tower. I'd much rather use the AMD 560, but if the GT 1030 will work easier, I might give it a shot. I tried this yesterday and got the same behavior as the 560. No plug and play support, black screen, wouldn't install drivers, etc.

Thoughts or suggestions super welcome!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@jorgethetalkinggoat

Using an RX 560 and a Thunder 2 I wasn't able to get it to assign PCIe resources (got error 12) even with a large memory area under my UEFI installation. I'm not sure if this was a bug with my particular hardware or something, as I was able to get an nvidia card to work, and my daily driver akitio node works in windows with my RX 560. Have a look at the build guides in my signature if you haven't already. If you already have a legacy bios install and don't want to switch to UEFI you could try Nando's DIY eGPU setup 1.35 but I have no experience with this so I don't know if/how it would work.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote