2016 MacBook Pro Installation Techniques (HELP ME LAY THIS @#$% TO REST!)

Notifications
Clear all

2016 MacBook Pro Installation Techniques (HELP ME LAY THIS @#$% TO REST!)  

RSS

JonRoth
(@jonroth)

I've been trying to learn everything I can about using an eGPU with my 2016 15" Macbook Pro w/ Touchbar and I'm getting a massive mixed bag about installation techniques. From the thorough but long-winded common technique found here, to a simple, more plug and play approach, to 9to5Macs incredibly easy and simple approach, there are so many gad damn different ways of doing this, and with my 1080ti in the mail, I'm trying to determine which approach I should go for once my Akitio Node and 1080ti arrive. Obviously, I'd love to try the plug and play approach first, but it looks like examples of that approach working are few and far between, and my best bet is to go with the standard, long winded, disable PCIe ports, etc.  What are your thoughts? Below is my setup I'm trying to run with.

Setup

- 2016 15" Macbook Pro with Touchbar (AMD Radeon Pro 455 dGPU)

- Akitio Node (currently en route to my house)

- GTX 1080ti (also en route to my house)

- LG 5k Thunderbolt 3 Display (to be used at all times when gaming. I wanted to use it as an external display, but due to it's thunderbolt 3 connection, I will have to plug it into my macbook in order to run, and thus it will most likely be detected as an internal display according to my research)

So, with my current setup, which installation technique should I go for first? Again, I'm not looking to game on my internal macbook pro display, and want to use the 5k Lg display to game. But, because of it's connection, I will probably have to set it up as an internal display because I can't connect it straight to the eGPU (I can't find an adapter that converts Displayport > Thunderbolt 3 or HDMI > Thunderbolt 3). Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance friends!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: JonRoth

and my best bet is to go with the standard, long winded, disable PCIe ports, etc.  What are your thoughts? Below is my setup I'm trying to run with.

- LG 5k Thunderbolt 3 Display (to be used at all times when gaming. I wanted to use it as an external display, but due to it's thunderbolt 3 connection, I will have to plug it into my macbook in order to run, and thus it will most likely be detected as an internal display according to my research)

itsage has done all the hard work for you to have a working eGPU in Windows along with your iGPU enabled which you'll need to game on your LG TB3 display: Please refer to itsage's guide:

https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JonRoth
(@jonroth)

Yeah I’ve seen it! I guess my gripe with it it’s a bit cumbersome. Others have had success with simple plug and play. But I’m leaning towards just following his incredible guide and dealing with the annoyances 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

JonRoth, purchase a 2017 15" MBP (with factory 'large memory') and an external LCD to attach directly to your eGPU and you have a high chance of your desired pnp configuration. Or consider @itsage's guide as a cost effective option to make use of your current hardware.

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

JonRoth liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@JonRoth, if a simpler approach was possible and reliable the Boot Camp setup guide would not have been as long as it is. I spent almost a month testing this same procedure with a combination of GPUs and Thunderbolt 3 enclosures. Every single component in the whole eGPU pairing matters with regards to the level of difficulty during setup.

Know that by the time you read through the guide and get your eGPU setup going, you'll have a better appreciation for the high-end equipment you have. Apple should have made it easier. We started this petition so that people can share their thoughts.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

JonRoth liked
ReplyQuote
JonRoth
(@jonroth)

Looks like I’ll follow your guide ! A major thanks for taking the time to do all the dirty work, and another big thank you to the both of you for your prompt and informative responses.  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
kurbeco
(@kurbeco)

Posted by: nando4
Posted by: JonRoth

and my best bet is to go with the standard, long winded, disable PCIe ports, etc.  What are your thoughts? Below is my setup I'm trying to run with.

itsage has done all the hard work for you to have a working eGPU in Windows along with your iGPU enabled which you'll need to game on your LG TB3 display: Please refer to itsage's guide:

https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/

Is this required .on the 2017 15" MBP with Radeon Pro 560?

.:: AKiTiO Thunder2 CNC Cut | GTX970 | DA-2 | Mac mini 2012 ::.
.:: Mantiz Venus | Vega64 | 2017 MacBook 15" Touchbar ::.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@kurbeco, if you are attaching an external LCD to the eGPU then on a 2017 15" MBP it can be a PnP (or nearly) implementation as per @jzfgs:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2017-macbook-pro-15-i7-3-1ghz-rp560-gtx-1080-ti32gbps-tb3-akitio-node-windows-10/

ReplyQuote