[GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

of  14
  RSS

1gengabe
(@1gengabe)

I am trying to set up a Sonnet Breakout box 550 with a AMD xfx 580 Graphics Card on the Boot camp side of my late 2014 Mac mini and I've set the windows version to 18362.30 and I'm still getting error 12. it is a TB2 to TB3 setup. the box turns on but on restart neither the default display or the eGPU display work. I could use some help solving this issue. let me know if this is the wrong thread to ask this in.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member

Hey @1gengabe,

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Just to give a little context, I recommended an eGPU solution to @1gengabe about a month ago when we talked via Twitch. I tried to help troubleshoot this issue yesterday figuring that it was the pci.sys problem, but it looks like there's something else going on here.

One thing I just thought of was that maybe there is an issue with how you set up the drivers. I know my build is a bit different, but I do wanna point out a couple of things I did that I'm not sure if you've tried.

First of all, I remembering having to install drivers before I ever tried plugging in and using the eGPU in Windows. If you look at my build guide (see the link in my signature), you'll see that I was very specific about the steps in which that was done. Not sure how important it is, but perhaps you're getting error 12 because you're trying to plug in and use the eGPU before setting up the proper drivers first.

The second thing I can think of (and again, not sure if this applies to your build or not) is the DDU application. If you check out bootcampdrivers.com, you can find an AMD drivers package that is specifically tailored towards Mac users on Boot Camp. For me in particular, this was necessary because Boot Camp includes AMD drivers for the dedicated GPU in my Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2018 model) and this tool helps to uninstall those before installing the more updated drivers (and, in turn, helping Windows to avoid confusion about which AMD GPU to use). In your case, however, there is no other AMD GPU, so I'm not sure if this is required.

I'm hoping @itsage or somebody more knowledgeable can chime in, but you may want to try those things in the meantime and see if either one helps.

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
1gengabe
(@1gengabe)

@thejizel, I installed the drivers first and I have an intel iris graphics card by default it does have a graphics settings program.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member

@1gengabe

Hmm, ok.

Well like I said, you may also want to try the drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make, but I'm struggling to think of anything else at the moment.

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
1gengabe
(@1gengabe)

I think one of the big issues is the AMD drivers don't see the card even though the computer sees the card

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member

@1gengabe Not sure why, but it looks like our messages were moved to an existing thread. Perhaps a mod has private messaged you with more details, but it may be worth taking a look at the original post here as well. This may help with your issue.

ReplyQuote
1gengabe
(@1gengabe)

@thejizel, I have

ReplyQuote
Toni Johansson
(@toni_johansson)

So I read so many threads about Error 12 and still havent been able to solve it!

My setup:

• MBP Pro 13 2020
  • Catalina
  • i7
  • 32gb ram
  • Razer X Core
  • Vega 56
  • Connected via down left Thunderbolt
  • Tried to hotplug
  • Tried latest drivers via bootcampdrivers
  • Uninstalled with DDU

Needless to say that the Vega 56 works in a normal Win 10 computer and in Catalina. Its "just" bootcamp. 

So there are quite a few guides with older MBPs but not the new one just released.

Would truly appreciate any help as I really want this rig to be up and running 🙁 

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@toni_johansson

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-13-macbook-pro-10th4cg-rx-vega-56-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-andygev35/

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member

@1gengabe It looks like option #8 in particular might help you out. @nando4 is another resident expert here, so I would trust his expertise.

ReplyQuote
 of  14