[GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

of  15
  RSS

Toni Johansson
(@toni_johansson)

@mini-i5, Thank you! I really looked around for a long time, and that was the thread that did it! Well, after about 2hours but hey, no more error 12!

However, The Vega card now works, as per there are no Error 12 in the device manager. But, when playing any games, the performance is like there is NO GPU at all, tried Starcraft 2 for instance, and since my the Intel Iris is disabled as well, its was like playing on an old Pentium computer from the 90's 🙁

Any thoughts? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @toni_johansson

However, The Vega card now works, as per there are no Error 12 in the device manager. But, when playing any games, the performance is like there is NO GPU at all, tried Starcraft 2 for instance, and since my the Intel Iris is disabled as well, its was like playing on an old Pentium computer from the 90's 🙁

Just for clarity and anyone else reading this, the acceleration problem was solved by making the external display the main display in windows display settings.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fido Fan
(@fido_fan)

Hi all!

Hope everything is going fine. My set up is 2019 13" MacBook Air, Razer Core X with a .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, and XFX RX 580 card. The problem is that AMD software says that the driver has been download successfully but windows detected a potential issue with my graphic device (error 207)

I have already tried a lot of the methods that I found (both in the forum and in youtube, but they didn't work. (A lot of the articles told me to enable the PCI E port 1 and 2 but I just can't find them in my device manager, maybe my computer is different) Other than that, I have been following the instructions carefully, I have used the DDU properly, disabled the windows update also I downloaded windows 1903 (OS build 18362.30), but it just came out it doesn't work. 😥  

Also, when I reboot into windows with my eGPU plugged in and turned on, the windows sign will keep blinking and won't restart. Is that a common phenomenon or it was my computer's problem?

It works when using Mac OS, but when I was using heaven benchmark the performance was horrible. It was only 4.5 FPS, what do I need to do to fully accelerate the eGPU?

MAYDAY 

Hope you guys have a fabulous day!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nudoru
(@nudoru)

Getting error 12 on my 16" MBP i9/32/1tb/5500m with a Saphire Nitro+ in a Razer Core X. I have tried a Powercooler Red Devil, and had error 12 also. 

I just got the egpu hardware Saturday and was running 2004 fully updated already. I tried the pci.sys fix but then Windows wouldn't boot, so I had to system restore back to before it.

Yesterday, I moved to the latest fast ring build (20115 or something like that), and that resolve error 12. I found suggestions here to disable the webcam and after that, I can boot with it connected where previously it wouldn't make it to the Windows logo screen. I also disabled/reenabled the entire PCI hierarchy from the egpu up. No change. With the egpu connected, I reinstalled the August bootcampdrivers.com following the 3x DDU and driver install with the factory reset option. No change.

I don't want to install the custom mac EFI for security and not possibly bricking my computer reason. :/ 

Anything else I can try to solve this?

ReplyQuote
Mark Marin
(@mark_marin)
Eminent Member

I tried every suggestion here including downgrading Win 10 version, several scripts, utilities, starting from USB, etc. I even swapped from a Mantiz to Razer eGPU. After 4-5 months I gave up and reenabled Windows updates for security, etc and figured I'd wasted money on the eGPU setup.

2 weeks ago when starting Bootcamp I got a message that the Radeon RX 5700 had been enabled. I checked Device Manager and eGPU Radeon RX 5700 XT and dGPU Radeon Pro Vega 20 were both active (no iGPU) and no errors.

The only non-standard Windows 10 software I have installed is the BootCampDrivers.com Radeon drivers (the AMD drivers from their web page do not see the eGPU installed card).

The only other new thing is macOS Big Sur beta (perhaps a hardware flash update?). Otherwise I have no idea why it's working without any hacks, etc.

I can post Steam VR Test data or other benchmarks if requested. I am letting Windows pick which graphics card to use for programs, it seems to select the eGPU for games and the dGPU for Office and other programs.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

2019 15" MacBook Pro, Razer Core X Chroma, PowerColor Red Devil Radeon 5700 XT

Mini i5 and pipin032 liked
ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@mark_marin, @nudoru, @fido_fan

My mbp 13 2020 works fine with Catalina and w10 2004 and adrenalin 19.4.2 using pci.sys swap as per guide from @andygev35 and @mini-i5 . Before that only w10 1903 would work for me. 

The other day tried to update adrenalin drivers and everything got unstuck. Tried to update to latest windows but with no success. Windows even replaced the pci.sys file back to news version. 

Fortunately when I restored back to last restore point everything is working ok again. 

In addition my mate @arouris had success with Big Sur public beta and latest windows on a Mac mini 2018 without any modifications. See his last post 

From past experience the best way to succeed is to find a build guide with exactly the same config as your system and follow it religiously. This is what it did with Andys guide for setup and minii5 for the pci.sys swap. Add a good portion of patience .......

I hope this helps .

Good luck.

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1038NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 65 Q70R
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Mark Marin
(@mark_marin)
Eminent Member

@tsakal, no, you missed the point of my post. The eGPU is working properly with Windows 10 now - and I really am not sure why after so many things had failed prior. Latest Windows 10, no hacks or patches other than using the bootcamp.org AMD drivers.

ReplyQuote
orchoidizer
(@orchoidizer)

@mark_marin, That's great news!

Which version of windows are you on?

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7)
Intel Iris Pro Graphics. Thunderbolt 2, High Sierra - Bootcamp Win10 1903 (18362.39)
Razer Core X - Vega 64, Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter ,- 2m TB2 cable

ReplyQuote
Mark Marin
(@mark_marin)
Eminent Member

@orchoidizer, Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@mark_marin, @orchoidizer

Hopefully with Big Sur all is fixed as I mentioned above Big Sur and latest windows seem to work at least on Mac mini 

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1038NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 65 Q70R
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
 of  15