Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

of  15
  RSS

Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)
Eminent Member

I’ve been looking at so many tutorials but none of them seem to really work. I read an article on how to get Boot Camp working with automate-eGPU EFI. I’ve got the iGPU enabled and I switched to it, but now what? I think the article was talking about disabling PCI lanes but it didn’t say anything about how to do it. I tried to simply just disable the dGPU but to no surprise, it does absolutely nothing. So, what do I need to do next to get the eGPU to work? 

EDIT: I've tried most of the things from this guide but the only thing that's left to try is DSDT override, but the tutorial for that seems to be out of date and I'm not sure would it be effective

This is the article I’m talking about: https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550, AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
BITFYRE
(@bitfyre)

I have tried all of these procedures & no luck... any advice?

MacBook Pro: 2019 16" w/ 64GB RAM, i9 Processor, and 1 TB Storage.
eGPU: Razer Core X w/ AMD Radeon RT 5700XT | Triple Dissipation

ReplyQuote
Mark Marin
(@mark_marin)
Eminent Member

I could not get anything to work either, and to be frank gave up trying after 5 or 6 months.

So I started letting Windows 10 update to the most recent version. In the meantime I started using macOS Big Sur Beta. One day I booted to Bootcamp and I got a message that the Radeon graphics card had been enabled. I checked Device Manager and the dGPU Vega 20 and eGPU Radeon 5700 XT were both shown (no iGPU) and no errors.

I let Windows decide which GPU to use "automatically" and it seems to pick pretty well based on what I am running. I even just tried Windows 10 stable beta build and that seems to work fine too. I get great FPS in Steam VR test (when using the dGPU it gives me yellow and says some games may not work).

The ONLY non standard thing in my setup is that I used DDU to remove my graphics drivers and used Bootcampdrivers.org 2020 October red Adrenalin drivers (the driver downloaded from Radeon's site tells me that it cannot find any Radeon graphics card). I am not using any start scrips, etc. Just booting to Windows using the Option key to select Windows at startup.

2019 15" MacBook Pro, Razer Core X Chroma, PowerColor Red Devil Radeon 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
ben_tif
(@ben_tif)

@mark_marin, and everyone before in this thread. Yes, Windows is finally supporting eGPUs better with Apple computers (and other laptops with dual internal GPUs)!

TLDR: Windows Builds 20236 and onwards (available through the Windows Insider program) have had fairly stable eGPU support for my dual GPU Macbook Pro.

Here's my setup:

2017 Macbook Pro 15" with Radeon Pro 560 4GB

Razer Core X

Sapphire Radeon Pulse Vega 56

LG 27QN600-B 27” QHD Display connected to the eGPU with DisplayPort 1.4

MacOS Catalina, Bootcamp w/ Windows 10 Insider Edge Dev Channel

I had an intractable problem with Error Code 12 or 43, and I couldn't get ANYTHING to work-and I'm pretty tech savvy. And then I stumbled across a similar post to this one on the egpu reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/ictbkl/latest_windows_build_makes_it_plug_play/

I went through the process of signing up for the Insider Edge Dev Channel builds, and was shocked when my eGPU was recognized on boot after the update.

I went through a few BSODs, and then the system stabilized (it's dev channel after all). I had to uninstall all graphics drivers with DDU, then installed the latest Adrenalin (Red) drivers from BootCampDrivers.com. A few reboots later, port swaps, and fiddling later, everything seemed to work quite well and right from boot-no fancy bootloaders, hot plugging, etc needed.

Important Notes:

One of the Windows updates brought back Error Code 43, then after a hot port swap, Error Code 12. I disabled the internal dGPU in device manager, rebooted, and then reenabled the internal dGPU, and it worked.

For my system, I do have to use the front left TB3 port-I get Error Code 12 on the rear port. Also, on my machine the left hand ports have the higher graphics bandwidth PCIE lanes.

I've been running the Windows Insider Dev Channel releases for about 1.5 months now. After some minor instability at the beginning, I've been getting rock solid stability and eGPU performance. I'm currently on OS Build 20262.1010, but have had fairly rock-solid stability with this setup since 20236.

MacOS Catalina has worked flawlessly right since the start. But I'll admit I've been most excited about the fact that my otherwise mediocre MBP can now put up decent framerates in Windows games. Older games can mostly run at 1440p and Ultra settings with 60+ fps. Smile

This post was modified 2 months ago

2017 MBP 15" w/ Radeon Pro 560, Razer Core X, Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX Vega 56, and LG 27" QHD (1440p) Freesync display. MacOS Catalina and Bootcamp Windows 10 (Build 20262 as of 11/22/20).

ReplyQuote
shijifeng
(@shijifeng)

@ben_tif, Great information, given the different combination and weird situation we're facing at, it might need more test. Such as the 2018 macbook pro 13 inch, it's an great example with integrated graphic card only and T2 chip. And is the hotplug available in your devices?

2018 MacBook Pro 13inch, Razer Core X, Vega 64

ReplyQuote
osterman22
(@osterman22)

Hi everyone,

I've circled these forums and others and tried a whole host of suggested solutions but nothing seems to be working for me.  Each time in the other examples though the build is slightly different so I thought I'd post to see if I had any success.  Like others... invested a good chunk of change and hoping I can find a way to get this to work.  Appreciate any help.

1. When I boot into Windows with the egpu on then I get the windows logo for a second then black scene. This cycles a few times before the black screen doesn't go away.

2. The bootcamp was done on the Mac Mini drive and not an external drive.

2. I can get into Windows with the egpu turned off, then when I turn it on in windows it will get recognized.  I have the yellow triangle though and it says error 12.

Things I've tried

a) Disabling other epi ports to create more memory

b) turning off filevault and sip

c) removed the drivers and then loaded the latest drivers from bootcampdrivers.com - it loads but then says that my computer is having a hard time reading it.

d) rebooting.. rebooting... rebooting

Any suggestions?  A million thank you in advance for your time.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
shijifeng
(@shijifeng)

@osterman22, I assume you have installed the graphics card driver from bootcampdrivers

1.Make sure you can enter windows when you disconnect eGPU

2.Shutdown Mac mini

3.Connect eGPU and boot up Mac mini. Immediately hold the option key to enter the system selection interface

4.Wait 5 seconds or so, disconnect eGPU

5.Select windows system, press enter, and connect eGPU after the windows logo appears before circle spinning

6.If you successfully enter the desktop, you would see that the yellow triangle in the device manager should be gone

7.It may be stuck or crashed after entering the system for the first time. Restart the computer once, and use these magic tricks for the second restart.

8.If it is not successful, the timing of connecting eGPU may be wrong, try again

Don’t worry, as far as I know, Mac mini is one of the most easy devices to eliminate error 12

BTW make sure your windows 10 version should be 1903 18362.295

This post was modified 1 month ago

2018 MacBook Pro 13inch, Razer Core X, Vega 64

ReplyQuote
osterman22
(@osterman22)

@shijifeng

It worked!!  Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Really appreciate it. Was banging my head against the wall all day trying to figure this out. So relieved.

Cheers

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Francesco Ripa
(@francesco_ripa)

Sorry, but I can't get the eGPU to work with bootcamp.

On the Mac everything works great both cold and hot-plug.

2019 MacBook Air + ADTLink R43SG + RX 570.

Win10 2009 20H2 same as Win10 1903 19H1 V1.

One with step-by-step and clean install, no updates, no large memory devices.

Everything else works fine, only the UNrecognized (AMD drivers install fail) eGPU device reports Error 12.

I've tried disabling all possible components to increase connectivity on the port, I've downloaded and applied HackFlags, restarted several times both hot and cold-plug with no success.

This post was modified 1 week ago

2019 MacBook Air (MacBookAir8,2, 1,6 GHz, 8 GB) + RX 570 @ R43SG-TB3 + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 on EXT Kingston Kyson USB 3.2 Gen 1 Flash drive (200 MB/s read, 60 MB/s write)

ReplyQuote
 of  15