Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

of  19
  RSS

alone1i
(@alone1i)
Eminent Member

Hi guys, must must need your favour to sort this out. I am getting Error code 12 on windows 10 (bootcamp) with 3 different types of Macs and 2 version of windows. Here are the components-

2020 13" MacBook Pro with i7 (touch bar)

2020 13" MacBook Pro with i5 (touch bar)

2017 13' MacBook Pro with i5 (touch bar)

Windows 10 2004, Windows 10 21H1

Razer Core X and MSI Gaming X RTX 3060

Internal display

What I did-

1. Installed clean Windows 10 with bootcamp, then installed all bootcamp drivers

2. Powered up core x and connect to Mac

3. Windows initially detects eGPU as basic display driver

4. Download driver from nVIDIA website and installed

5. Restart computer (at this stage i did restart withwithout egpu connected)

6. On Device Manager it shows RTX 3060 with yellow ! and when I double click it, it says not enough resources error code 12.

I need your support here.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@alone1i, You either need to hot-plug the RTX 3060 eGPU once Windows completes loading or use an EFI boot loader to keep the iGPU activated. Try running DDU to remove existing Nvidia drivers as well as disable Windows from automatically install drivers (in DDU Options).

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tntenter
(@tntenter)

I have the same problem(mbp19,razercorex,3070ti)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tntenter
(@tntenter)

hello.
can you help me? My razer core x and GTX 1650 have no problems when plugging in macbookpro mid 2019 i5-8297U. But when my razer core x and 3070Ti are plugged into macbook pro, error code 12 appears.
I once asked Razer's customer service, Nvidia customer service, and Apple's customer service. They all said it was a compatibility error.
Can you give me a solution. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

To @all who's experiencing error 12 in Boot Camp, your best resource is in the Users' Build Guides. Find the build with your matching Mac computer, then matching AMD/Nvidia card. Read through as many matching builds as possible to get a good understanding of the setup procedure. The vendors deem eGPU in Boot Camp is not compatible so you won't get any help from them.

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Edwardblake
(@edwardblake)

Hey Guys,

second Topic specific for my yet unsolved Error 12 Problem. 

System:

iMac 2020 i7 8c, 24gb Ram (2x4 OEM + 2x8 upgraded), Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16gb dGPU

Razer Core X mercury + 0,5m Razer TB3 cable

MSI 3070ti Suprim 8gb 

Procedure so far:

Reinstalled Windows 10 pro via Bootcamp

installed latest Bootcamp Drivers via Apple Software Update

(first time i DDU´d the Radeon Drivers, second time not)

Hotplugged eGPU after booting (on Homescreen) w/o DisplayPort Cable connected

System recognizes PCi and VGA device --> Device Manager shows Basic Displya Adapter with error 31 (Wrong drivers)

Installed newest nvidia drivers incl. Geforce Experince 

After installation (before restart) Error 12 is present on the listed RTX 3070

After restart Error 12 is still present

when i start with Display Port connected the system wont start (Blackscreen) 

Observations: 

when i first plugged in the Razer Core X the system said the PCI/VGA device is no set up and ready - when i looked up in connected devices there was a note that the there is an driver issue. 

Could be Windows 10 Pro instead of an 10 Home Version be an issue? System Version ist currently 21H2

Could there be an issue with the Thunderbolt and PCI drivers? How can i Check if they are update able

Could be the RAM (2x4 + 2x8) be an issure? 

When do you guys Plug in the eGPU and when do you connect the Display to the egpu? 

i´m happy with every reply Smile Thank you guys in advance,

Eddy Blake

ReplyQuote
NicolasD
(@nicolasd)

Hi 👋

I’m new here, it’s really cool to have found such a nice community with so many talented and dedicated individuals <3

Like many people I’m facing some technical difficulties (error 12) while setting up my new rig with a MacBook Pro + rx 5700 xt (maybe a upcoming 6900 if the eGpu thing works as expected) to replace my good old Hackintosh setup.

Here my setup:

Here's what I tried:

• I had to downgrade Mac OS to Catalina 10.15.7 in order to make Bootcamp work. Long story short, Bootcamp never worked for me on Big Sur 11.5.1, the issue has been confirmed by the apple support adviser
  • I installed windows 10 1903 via Bootcamp on a 80Go partition on the internal SSD of the Mac
  • I installed all Apple bootcamp drivers on the windows session and disable updates
  • I downloaded the latest graphic drivers from Bootcamp drivers, red edition
  • I use the provided DDU to un install the graphic drivers while not in safe mode.
  • Let the machine reboot on windows 
  • I installed the AMD adrenaline drivers from Bootcampdrivers
  • I shut everything down
  • I cold plug the Core X chroma on one of the thunderbolt port (I tried all the ports)
  • I start the Mac on the windows partition
  • Windows boots up, the 5700Xt is shown in the device manager with the infamous error 12
  • I tried to hot plug each port without any success, still error 12
  • I tried multiple reboots, same error each time
  • I followed the apple_set_os loader guide here: https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/
  • I reboot on windows, the bootstrapped boot loader shows up, I plug the core X chroma on the left side, it shows up in the boot loader along with the internal dGpu 5300 and the intel iGpu. I tap any key before the count down is at zero to load custom boot efi script
  • Windows boots and all 3 cards a detected, the eGPU has error 12
  • I unplug the eGpu from the left ports to plug it on the right ports
  • Card is detected, still with error 12
  • I unplug the eGpu from the right ports to plug it on the left ports
  • Card is detected, still with error 12
  • I applied this:  https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/mbp-2019-late-razer-core-x-amd-rx-5700-xt-hackflags-0x600-worked-for-me/ without any success
  • I sacrifice my sanity to this damn eGPU issue
  • Brain no longer detected and eGPU still does not work :') 

I’m a bit lost here, is there anything I could try ?I read a lot of posts and thread on the subject but fail to see what I could do next.

I searched the win10 18362.295 on https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php but failed to get this one. I took the 18362.356 from another website. Could this be the issue here ?

In order to give some context, I'm a backend/devops/iOS development engineer and I like to play some games from time to time (hence the Windows and eGPU). I don't really want to keep an expensive MacBook AND renew my expensive PC rig. I would really appreciate to be able to both work and game on the same setup without having to keep 2 identical intel CPU, 2 sets of RAM, 2 sets of NVME etc... looks like a non sense to me to keep everything in double as one machine is supposed to able to do everything 😅

Thanks in advance for your support, this community rocks ✌️  

MacBook Pro 16 2019 i7 6 cores
Razer core x chroma
Rx 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@nicolasd, Welcome aboard. The easiest path would be to run Windows 10 1903 V1 18362.30 to 18362.295.

ReplyQuote
NicolasD
(@nicolasd)

@itsage, thanks for your reply !

I’ll retry the whole process from scratch with a Windows 10 1903 V1 version between 18362.30 and 18362.295.

I’ll keep the community posted in case of success 👍

MacBook Pro 16 2019 i7 6 cores
Razer core x chroma
Rx 5700 xt

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@nicolasd, There are reports of newer Windows 10 versions working but it's safest with 1903 V1. I actually spent some time yesterday trying Windows 11 on the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro with AMD eGPU. Unfortunately I had no luck resolving error 12. Prior to this, the laptop was working great with AMD eGPU in Boot Camp using 18362.30.

ReplyQuote
 of  19