[GUIDE] Mac: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [GUIDE] Mac: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

of  20
  RSS

NicolasD
(@nicolasd)

@itsage, Thanks again and again for your great advices, I reinstalled the 18362.30 win10 build and it worked like a charm !

For the record, with the right windows build everything went as smooth as the other 3 builds available in here with the same setup: MBP 16 2019, 5700XT, Razer Core X Chroma

Setup was really basic:

windows install, bootcamp drivers, DisplayDriverUninstall, last AMD adrenaline RED from Bootcampdrivers install, reboot et voila ! Hotplug works like a charm and no noticeable issues so far.

I'll now move to some other threads to discuss performance losses and if it's worth to get more recent amd GPUs 😀

MacBook Pro 16 2019 i7 6 cores
Razer core x chroma
Rx 5700 xt

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@nicolasd, That's good to hear Win10 1903 V1 is still the go-to version. People have used a workaround called, PCI.SYS swap. This is a process that basically overwrite the PCI.SYS file in in newer Windows 10 versions with the "eGPU-friendly" one from 18362.30 to 18362.295. It doesn't work for all though because newer Windows 10 can detect changes to system files and may refuse to boot. I wish I was smart enough to figure out the secret ingredients in 18362.30 that allow hot-plug eGPU support in Boot Camp.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
needshelp26
(@needshelp26)

Hi,

I have an rtx 3090 via razer core x chroma attached to a macbook pro (A1989), i7-8569u processor , but it doesn't seem to work. This has integrated intel iris graphics and no dedicated gpu.  

Used DDU to clear the nvidia drivers and not sure what to do next to make it work, i keep getting code 12 in the device manager.

The chroma core x is not detected anymore on the razer synapse app (or in the device manager) when the GPU is inside, without a gpu the synapse + device manager seems to detect the chroma perfectly. Interestingly enough, the razer core x chroma does show in the thunderbolt control centre when the GPU is in.

I think my mac uses the T2 chip, not sure if that helps.

If i try to cold boot with the egpu, windows will freeze before the lock screen appears.

My version of windows is : 19042.1165. If i do need to downgrade, then what would be the best version/way to go about this?

I'd appreciate any help, I honestly thought nvidia cards in bootcamp would be a simple case of plug and play!

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
RudyEC
(@rudyec)

Hey Guys, I’ve gone through and read much of the solutions/feedback on here as I could, and have yet to implement a working solution for myself.

i have a 2018 Mac Mini, a Razer Core X, and a Nividia RTX 3060. After much trial I finally got the damned Gpu to finally recognize in bootcamp windows. After installing drivers, geforce experience, etc. Error 12 hit me like a Taco bell toilet session.

I am running Big Sur, and the latest version of windows. (No updates available for either). Current as possible.

I attempted this on a 1903 windows, but it would only recognize the gpu as a basic display adapter, only after massive amounts of restarts and updates was it finally recognized and drivers installed.

Any Help and guidance would be much appreciated.

I for one am not trying to game - although I’m sure I would on occasion. My main goal is to run T-Rex miner and mine some coins!

Cheers.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
RudyEC
(@rudyec)

@itsage, I’ve done a windows reinstall, build 1903 18362.30. I postponed all windows updates, and was able to get the computer to recognize it as 3060, installed Nvidia driver, but now I have error 45. “Device Not connected to the computer.”

I’ve seen other builds with no issues and others with the same error 12 and error 45 jazz.

any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@rudyec, Error 45 is something I have not encountered before. Check through your physical connection to make sure all is securely in place.

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fahrell
(@fahrell)

Hello , did anyone have a working config for bootcamp with MBP 2016 15 - Razer CORE and 6900xt ?

Im struggling currently , tried a lot of tutorials but still stuck with error 12 :/

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@fahrell, Search the build guides for 2016 15-in MacBook Pro and AMD eGPUs in Windows. You'd need to use a boot loader and DSDT override to make it work.

ReplyQuote
Fahrell
(@fahrell)

Thanks for answering ! It's seems very complex and can brick my macbook ? i already tried all the  "simple" config for MBP 16 , it's drive me crazy than it's work easily for other , but me i cant get rid of error 12 code 

ReplyQuote
Frédéric Robert
(@frederic_robert)

Hi everyone

First off it needs to be stated that 

- i'm not very fluent in computer programming

- english is not my primary language

This being said i'm in need of a bit of help to set up my egpu. 
After combing through the forum and the different builds and after several tries i'm still having difficulties setting up my egpu properly. At first i stupidly thought this would just be plug and play so i just installed windows 10 via bootcamp and plugged the egpu hoping it would only be a matter of installing the different drivers and "voilà" 
How foolish of me  Crazy  
I soon got what i've come to know as "error 12" having the graphic card being detected but with that awfull exclamation point next to it.
I tried to follow the related "how to" section to solve the egpu error 12 without success. While i've successfully managed to alocate a "large memory" area using the DSDT override topic i was unable to have it used by the egpu.
I thought about giving up when i decided to make one last attempt having found in the meantime that the version of windows 10 could also be an issue...
This time i installed windows 10 build 1903 and i stopped bootcamp from installing any of the drivers it had downloaded when preparing the installation. 
I just let windows download any driver it could find be itself. And to my great surprise the egpu started working. Finally !
That being i'm still having a tiny issue. As it happens windows didn't install the radeon drivers for the integrated graphic cards (which must be the reason why my egpu works i guess). It uses generic drivers that uses system memory, meaning i no longer have 16GB Ram but only 8GB left. 
At the moment i fear that any attempt to install proper drivers for my integrated radeon graphic card would crash the egpu with error 12 again. An "easy" solution could just be to put more Ram but i'd like to make it a last resort kind of thing
So if anyone has an idea as to what could be done to free this Ram....

Thanks for your help Pray  

ReplyQuote
 of  20