Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [GUIDE] Mac: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

of  24
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@nklerkql, I have seen reports of error 12 in Boot Camp with the RTX 30XX cards. The best version of Windows 10 for eGPU is Windows 10 1903 V1. You can try that first and see if the system can resolve error 12.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

nklerkql liked
ReplyQuote
nklerkql
(@nklerkql)

Since my first post I've tried Windows 10 1903 as well as the EFI bootloader (no luck).

About to try Windows 10 1809.

Still super bummed. I was under the assumption that pairing NVIDIA with a 2020 13" MBP w/ Intel Ice Lake processor was basically a fool-proof combination.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@nklerkql, Look at our build guides with the 2020 13-in MacBook Pro and follow the instructions in those builds. You'd likely need to disable some PCI Express Root Ports to free up more resources for the eGPU.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mechdriver
(@mechdriver)

Hello,

I have a 2017 21.5" iMac with a 256GB SSD. It has Thunderbolt 3 which I have a  Razer Core X  with a  3060Ti connected to an external monitor. I want to use it exclusively in boot camp for gaming on the external.

At this point, I've tried:

-Win10 18362.30

-Using DDU to remove all display drivers and installing latest NVIDIA driver

-HackFlags 0x600 registry edit

-Cold and hot plugging

-Disabling other PCI devices

The end result is always an Error 12 if I'm hot or being stuck at the Windows logo at boot if cold.

At this point I think I'm out of options. I wonder if this iMac, because of the SSD being on the PCI bus too simply does not have enough resources to disable to "power" the eGPU in the PCI bus. I disabled the camera, the Wi-Fi, and ethernet without change. I don't see anything else I can do.

21.5 2017 iMac Razer Core X 3060ti... maybe

ReplyQuote
mechdriver
(@mechdriver)

So I pulled the 3060ti and dropped in a 1080 and it worked instantly. Something about the 30x series that’s causing an issue?

I’ve starting to delve into the custom EFI world, but perhaps that’s for another day.

21.5 2017 iMac Razer Core X 3060ti... maybe

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mechdriver, Hey, sorry to hear.

Thanks for updating us. Yes, others are reporting troubles getting the 3000 series running in Bootcamp.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.1 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@jahn_reddit)

Hello Guys! I am quite new to the community and I have been digging through all kinds of solution to fix the Code 12 Issue and I seem to unable to find a clear solution.

[My Build]

- 2019 13" Macbook Pro (Four Thunderbolt) i5 8gb Ram [Running Bootcamp Windows]

- RTX 3060Ti

- Asus XG Station Pro 330watts 

So far I have tried going over on Windows Safe Mode to disable a few PCI Express ports including the iSight Camera and HID Ambient Light Sensor but with no luck and I am still facing the Error 12.

My next action was that I have attempted to run clover over in Mac and did the Bootx64.efi stuff and re-did the whole windows safemode pci express to fix the error 12 but to no success.

Are there any builds that is similar to mine? I would like to follow those steps and perhaps are there any other solutions?

I don't have much computer knowledge but I am pretty good at following steps. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Step
 Step
(@step)

Don't have a definite answer but try Windows 10 build 1903 v1 to be sure that it's not Windows messing up your nice build.

Even though I have an AMD, the Windows 10 build did make a difference.

Also having a Mac Mini 2018 i5 32GB 256GB.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 12.2.1 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@gordon_novak)

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your possible help.

I have a 2020 13" MacBook Pro that I recently hooked up to my Razer Core X with a 3060 TI inside. However, I have been having repeated issues with Error 12. I have attemped:

- Reinstalling drivers

- Utilizing DDU (despite not having dGPU: I'm desperate)

- Attempting to route connection to Large Memory PCIE as described

- Attempted apple_set_os.efi & adjusting bootx64.efi as described here

- Attempted some of the solutions laid out here

- Disabling iGPU in windows (I know that's dumb)

Is there some compatibility I am not aware of? Thanks for the help, again. It's been quite frustrating.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a few things:

- Running Windows build 10.0.18362

- Attempted on later versions with no success

- No external display: only using built-in display

- Location in Device Manager

- Not located on an Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port, just a regular one (not sure if that matters)

2020 13" MacBook Pro [C4 i5 10th Gen] + Razer Core X & 3060ti

ReplyQuote
(@stephen_raven)

I’ve been seeing a lot of conflicting evidence for functioning egpus bypassing code 12. 

In the process of giving it a go I have stopped my macOS from running it properly. Now it crashes and doesn’t respond to to having an egpu plugged in.

I know I can install macos again but it says it will take 12 hours so I guess that’s also abit broken. 

my question is, has anyone has had any success with an amd build on a tb 2 MacBook Pro on windows 11? 

I’m now inclined to think not.

ReplyQuote
 of  24