2016 MacBook Pro 15 [i7, 4 core] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (BlackBeast Pro)

Notifications
Clear all

2016 MacBook Pro 15 [i7, 4 core] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (BlackBeast Pro)  

RSS

Hanserik2099
(@hanserik2099)

System specs

2016 MacBook Pro 15, i7, 4 core, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 460

eGPU hardware

BlackBeast Pro eGPU

AMD RX 6900 XT

Hardware picture

eGPU Image

Installation setup 

Installation was plug & play.

Benchmark

Geekbench 5 benchmark:

Skjermbilde 2022 01 04 kl. 09.27.32

Comments

Installation was plug & play. My MacBook only has 4GB of VRAM. With BlackBeast Pro I was able to utilize 16GB of VRAM and a more powerful graphics card.

Overall I am happy with the plug & play experience Smile

This topic was modified 8 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Thank you for your post.

Pls consider completing the build template if you wish to be featured in the builds area of the site.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@hanserik2099, please use build template.

Also why not connect the displays to eGPU directly? Odd decision to have separate dongle for that.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS
Definitive macOS Thunderbolt eGFX Compatibility Registry

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Hanserik2099
(@hanserik2099)

@mac_editor, Currently I use HDMI, but the BlackBeast Pro only has Displayport outputs. I have ordered 2x Displayport cables so I can connect the displays directly to my eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@hanserik2099, Does the eGPU enclosure provide direct access to the four monitor output ports on the installed graphics card? It's a silly design if the standard graphics card ports are blocked or only accessible through adapters to provide output.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Call me a cynic, but has anyone checked the IP address of the two new joiners both having black beast pros? Feels to me like they may originate from the same place…

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

mac_editor and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eightarmedpet, That was my line of thinking too, because I recall there was another build guide with few details from a couple weeks ago. I'm curious to learn more about the inner workings of this eGPU enclosure, but it seems the manufacturer is making it hard for everybody.

I think this product is going to struggle competing with existing offerings. One top of that, there are new eGPU enclosures coming out this year. There are also more Thunderbolt and M.2/PCIe products to piece components together for a DIY eGPU. Of course GPU price and availability is the only limiting factor.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote