2016 MBP 15 AMD eGPU Setup
I just joined this forum and I am amazed with the amount of egpu builds out there but that also raised a few questions for my scenario as it seemed that there isn't a similar one as mine.
Radeon Pro 455
with OS as follows:
Big Sur 11.1
Windows 10 1909 (18363.1256) installed on the on-board SSD.
I am planning to just use it on Windows for some Casual gaming with an external monitor (MB is currently docked).
My questions are:
- Does eGPU setups even work on bootcamp with Big Sur 2016 MBP 15s? I saw people having a tough time in other threads.
- I am wondering if I have to conduct the DDU procedures as I saw a build with Big Sur and Windows and the only instruction given is "automate eGPU EFI".
- Does freesync work on bootcamp eGPUs?
- Does the setup work with the MB lid closed?
My apologies in advance as after digging through the forum, I am still unsure of the procedures on setting up an eGPU.
Thank you in advance!
Ran DDU without any issues.
I notice an efi installation in the guide however, in Bug Sur 11.1, I can't partition my main disk as it says "disk will be too small" but in reality I still have almost 180GB of free space.
Tried disabling x16 x8 from device manager, still no luck.
Tried hackflags, don't seem to work...
Any ideas on what I still can do? Many thanks in advance.
Happy New Year to you all. (It's 2021 in my timezone)
Just moments ago, i got the core x working in Bootcamp, I did the following steps.
- Updated Windows to 20H2.
- Ran DDU, Disabled Windows Update in Safe Mode.
- Installed Adrenalin in standard mode.
- Disabled 16x and 8x and Rebooted cold plug.
So it now technically works but at a few constrains:
- Only the right two usb port works.
- And my peripherals (Keyboard, Mice, Steering Wheel) Doesn't work, I suspect it has to do with power delivery.
- I have to start Windows with the Core X unplugged then hot plug then restart.
I am wondering how I can have the 100w power delivery enabled as I need all the power I can get to power the peripherals working.
Thanks in advance!