2016 - MBP - 15" - RX480| Akitio TB2 - GTX 980 | Win10

Notifications
Clear all

2016 - MBP - 15" - RX480| Akitio TB2 - GTX 980 | Win10  

of  2
  RSS

Helloman
(@helloman)

Is a eGPU setup currently possible with the following combination?

2016 MBP 15" RX460

Akitio TB2

GTX 980

Windows 10

I have a Akitio TB2 and a GTX 980 lying around for my last gen eGPU setup from a few years ago. I have very little luck finding any guides/ information about using the old Akitio TB2 with adapter to the new MBP 15" on Windows 10, so if someone more informed here can enlighten me if this is possible? If yes please throw me some links I will really appreciate it-

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I tried a very similar setup with all the components you listed except dGPU in the 15" MBP was Radeon Pro 450. It worked well after doing DSDT Override.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Helloman I found the post where I had screen captures of benchmarks -  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/late-2016-15-macbook-pro-akitio-thunder3-gtx-980-ti-macos/#post-972

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Helloman
(@helloman)

So I have finally restarted my eGPU project, and had an easy success with MacOS.

However, I could not get it working with bootcamp Win10 10 properly. 

At first, when I boot Win10 with egpu powered and plugged in, the boot screen would freeze and I would have to force restart.

After installing the proper driver on Nvidia's driver page, I am now able to boot into Win10 without freezing. But external display out from my akitio tb2 doesnt not show anything. The "!" mark on the 980 in device manager is still there. 

Do I need to perform the DSDT override as you mentioned to complete the setup?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Helloman

Do I need to perform the DSDT override as you mentioned to complete the setup?

If the yellow exclamation mark is an error 12 against the eGPU, then yes, a DSDT override is one potential fix. Work through easiest to hardest at https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Helloman
(@helloman)

Under properties it does say error 12 for the 980. 

I was following your instructions for the "Disable and re-enable the Thunderbolt PCIe bridge hosting the iSight Camera utilising a large PCIe aperature"

and I have found the Facetime HD Camera, but the "PCI Root Bridge", assuming is the "PCI Express Complex", does not allow me to disable it, only uninstall/update driver.

Should I continue to 2. Have windows reallocate your Thunderbolt PCIe bridges instead?

please advice on what I should do next thank you!

eGPU error 12

ReplyQuote
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)

Same error here with Late 2016 MBP 13"

ReplyQuote
Helloman
(@helloman)

Nvm after around 5 hours I have it set. Just follow Nando's guide from the easiest to the hardest. For me I only performed the DSDT override to make it work. I suggest following the steps VERY carefully.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)

I'm glad you have solved the issues.

Can I ask you some clarification? I noticed we have the same setup Smile

Have you performed DSDT override through clover?

Windows 10 is installed in internal or external SSD (Bootcamp?)

When you boot in Windows 10, the eGPU is already connected to PC? 

The eGPU is connected to external monitor?

Sorry for the questions but I have some trouble setting the egpu 

ReplyQuote
Helloman
(@helloman)

Yes I performed DSDT override via clover. 

Windows 10 installed via internal. I haven't read about any problems from either way related with eGPU.

When its properly setup, I can boot into windows with egpu already plugged in. Before its setup however, my machine freezes 4/5 times when booting in. 

My eGPU is always directly connected to the monitor. I use an older version akitio TB 2 not TB 3 so I definitely need external display. 

I suggest follow through Nando's guide linked above. If the first 2 steps work for you then it will save you a lot of time.

If you have to resort to DSDT override, make sure you follow carefully. If you are not careful, you can be stuck with DSDT override instructions for hours like I did.

Your milage may vary since my setup is not exactly the same as yours.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2