2016 tbMBP 15" Razer Core X Vega64 setup having random system freeze/crash

Notifications

2016 tbMBP 15" Razer Core X Vega64 setup having random system freeze/crash  

RSS

(@shaun_kim)

I have Adrenalin 19.8.1 from bootcampdrivers.com and have Windows build 18.362.418 running with goalque's automate-egpu on an internal partition.

Just couple of days ago I installed "Untitled Goose Game" (UGG) and had a system freeze/crash similar to this video (happens around 56s mark):

It happened multiple times, and I was concerned because last time I had this happened it occurred while playing GTAV which turned out to be corrupted RAM and I had to send my MBP in for repair and they basically gave me a new body with the same screen (I suspect this was because they also had that flaming battery recall).

Doing some basic troubleshooting online, it seems like it either has something to do with the PSU of the eGPU enclosure or the CPU overheating, but I'm not aware of any methods to determine the exact cause. I just don't see how UGG would cause either the CPU or the GPU to overwork itself enough to force crash the computer.

Another likely culprit is the ground loop I have going on with my setup. I determined that there's a ground loop because when I plug in my speakers via RCA cable, there's static/hum/buzz. I'm not quite sure how this would affect my system or cause freezes/crashes, but it's definitely an item of concern to me as I'm afraid it might cause my CPU or GPU fry. But this is only because I'm not very knowledgeable of the relationship between electricity and my setup.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar/same problem and was able to solve it.

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Late 2016 tbMBP 15" + Razer Core X + Vega64 + Windows 18.362.418 + Adrenalin 19.8.1 + goalque's automate-egpu

ReplyQuote
siyuanchu
(@siyuanchu)

This also happens to me with 5700XT. Mantiz Venus + 5700XT, it even happens when watching YouTube on Chrome. Total War Three Kingdoms also have significantly worse performance than RTX2060. I don't know if it's the problem of the driver or power supply. 

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2017 RX560
Mantiz Venus
AMD Radeon 5700XT
macOS 10.15.1
Windows To Go 1809
Sandisk Ultra SSD 480GB

ReplyQuote