2017 15" MacBook Pro, error 43 with Sonnet Breakaway Box and EVGA 1070ti

Notifications

2017 15" MacBook Pro, error 43 with Sonnet Breakaway Box and EVGA 1070ti  

RSS

(@anthonytip1)

My problem is that when using automate-eGPU to get my egpu working error 43 will occur with on rare occasion after several attempts of hot-plugging, an error 12 will pop up. When not using the EFI, I encounter either a black screen when the gpu is plugged in before startup or  when hot-plugging, various BSODs. I have the internal dGPU, a RP560 disabled. Additionally the amd drivers are uninstalled and the latest Nvidia drivers are installed. I am also using the port in the top left of the laptop andd have tried all other ports with no luck. Thank you for any help.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Your configuration does not need any hacks to function on Windows. This Mac is among the best for bootcamp eGPU.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
(@anthonytip1)

Unfortunately black screens on startup and hot-plug BSOD are occurring without said workarounds and I have no idea why.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@anthonytip1 What other steps have you performed prior to disabling your Radeon dGPU?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@anthonytip1)

I used ddu to uninstall the driver, I installed the latest Nvidia driver, and I installed the latest intel graphics driver. Otherwise those were the only tweaks I made prior.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

Your configuration does not need any hacks to function on Windows. This Mac is among the best for bootcamp eGPU.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Either users are scared or they tend to "overhack" things. It's much more simple and sometimes I think this simplicity is missing in a lot of guides and tips.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: AnthonyTip1

Unfortunately black screens on startup and hot-plug BSOD are occurring without said workarounds and I have no idea why.

1) If you have black screens without an eGPU plugged in, then this is the result of tinkering with the boot-process. Like @mac_editor said, there is no need for such things on your model on Bootcamp if you have an nVidia eGPU. Boot a couple of times without any Bootloader and this will go away.
2) If your windows boots again normally, hot-plug your eGPU once Windows is fully loaded. It should definitely not BSOD when hotplugging. If it does anyway, your windwos may be corrupt.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
(@anthonytip1)

To clarify, the black screens only occur when the egpu is plugged in prior to Windows bootup. The only reason I am using the script in the first place is that it has worked once before when using it and it is the only way the gpu shows up in High Sierra 10.13.6 I also double checked my windows to see if there were any errors however none were found, one of the BSODs is system thread exception not handled and the others seem to be caused by graphics processes crashing.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: AnthonyTip1

To clarify, the black screens only occur when the egpu is plugged in prior to Windows bootup. The only reason I am using the script in the first place is that it has worked once before when using it and it is the only way the gpu shows up in High Sierra 10.13.6 I also double checked my windows to see if there were any errors however none were found, one of the BSODs is system thread exception not handled and the others seem to be caused by graphics processes crashing.

Ok, this wasn't clear at all. Everybody with an 15-inch MBP AMD dGPU gets black screens with an eGPU, that is part of the life. You may thank Apple for this. This is all explained e.g. here and how to prevent this,
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/step-by-step-guides-to-install-nvidia-and-amd-egpu-cards-on-bootcamp-15-inch-macbook-2018/

You may use the script to have nVidia run in MacOSX, that's correct. But first, you don't need one part of the script for this: apple_set_os.efi. Furthermore, you were talking about Errors 12 and 43, which have nothing to do with MacOSX. My Tip:
1) For Bootcamp: Use my guide from the link
2) For MacOSX: Use purge-wrangler- this won't interfere with your Windows.

You only an Bootloader-Script, if you really know what you are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@anthonytip1)

Sorry about that, well  MacOS was running like a charm as for bootcamp, 9 out of 10 times I've faced BSODs regarding applespidevice.sys crashing and Page faults in nopaged areas. I followed the steps you linked to and I am using no hacks. Thanks for you help. 

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
(@anthonytip1)

Quick update, I’ve tried over the past week to get the setup working. I’ve tried NUC thunderbolt drivers, different plug in times, and different ports without accomplishing anything. Some times the GPU wouldn’t detect, Blue screen, and of late just crash without a blue screen. Thank you for any help. 

ReplyQuote
(@anthonytip1)

Update: I’ve tried a fresh windows install and the same problems still exist.

ReplyQuote