2017 15" Macbook Pro [7th, 4C] + RTX 2060 + Razer Core X Issues

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" Macbook Pro [7th, 4C] + RTX 2060 + Razer Core X Issues  

RSS

Creegan
(@creegan)

Hi all,

I've been attempting to set up my 2017 15" MacBook Pro  [7th Gen, 4 Core] with an  RTX 2060  installed in a  Razer Core X but running into issues.

I initially hit the Code 12 issue in Windows 10 Boot Camp, but I resolved with the pci.sys swap trick and now I'm able to enable the eGPU in the Windows device manager. However, I'm now running into a different problem:

I disabled my discrete GPU, updated the eGPU drivers, and ran the SteamVR benchmark, but it ran horribly. It says the main problem is my CPU, which has never been an issue when I tested the benchmark before using the eGPU. Am I running into a bottleneck or some other kind of issue?

Thanks so much for the help!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@creegan Why do you disable the dGPU? If the dGPU is disabled you'd need to force enable the iGPU so that it can work with the eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Creegan
(@creegan)

@itsage

Thanks for responding! I disabled the dGPU after confirming the eGPU was enabled so that the computer would default to using the eGPU as its graphics card. Was this incorrect?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Creegan
(@creegan)

I've finally managed to seemingly get everything up and running by using an external monitor (my TV), which I hooked into the eGPU via HDMI, but now I'm having another issue I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

I've been trying to get my Oculus Quest with my official Oculus Link Headset Cable attached to my computer  (2017 15" MacBook Pro [7th Gen, 4 Core] in Boot Camp (Windows 10) w/Razer Core X eGPU + Nvidia RTX 2060 installed). I have the eGPU plugged into the USB-C port closest to the Tab button.

The computer appears to have trouble recognizing when/if the Oculus is connected to it, and I haven't been able to get things running.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote