2017 MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mantiz Venus and Windows 10 over Bootcamp GPU Opinion

Notifications
Clear all

2017 MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mantiz Venus and Windows 10 over Bootcamp GPU Opinion  

RSS

cvfunstuff
(@cvfunstuff)

I would love to finally play games like Battlefield 1, Planet Coaster, or Titanfall on the Windows side of my MacBook. I'm just wondering how much success has come out of using the Mantiz Venus with, let's say a 1080, over Bootcamp. I do have an external display I'm willing to use, but I'm curious if internal acceleration will work as well.

And will my concerns be rectified regardless once 10.13 launches? Should I just bite the bullet and buy the card + Venus?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Right now the Venus still has a limitation of firmware since its the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3 cable is sharing with the extra ports of it. If you want the best best performance, go for an akitio node. The 1080 will be enough to play BF1 but I really recommend getting a 1080ti. I play BF with max settings on 2k smoothly here. And I have a thunder2 macbook + 1080ti. 

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
Trexgnu
(@trexgnu)

I have just made a setup with 2016/2017 macbook pro 15 "" -  Asus Rog X2 + RX580 8GB. + samsung 791 34""

Work super fine in both windows 10 " bootcamp" and high sierra beta 2 - just have to give it firmware version 25(Rog X2) .

In high sierra ( no driver or support software ) in windows 10 you need intel thunderbolt 3 drivers and Asus tools . 

This setup Seems safe and preform nice Smile in Games. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
cvfunstuff
(@cvfunstuff)

How much of a hit would we be talking with the Venus's I/O? I couldn't imagine it being all that significant.. do you have any other ideas for where to put the 2.5" SATA drive I have if I can't go with the Venus?

Posted by: Rycco

Right now the Venus still has a limitation of firmware since its the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3 cable is sharing with the extra ports of it. If you want the best best performance, go for an akitio node. The 1080 will be enough to play BF1 but I really recommend getting a 1080ti. I play BF with max settings on 2k smoothly here. And I have a thunder2 macbook + 1080ti. 

Money is a limitation. I'm finding 1080's for around $510 vs. $700 for a 1080ti. I'd much rather go with a RX 580 or a 1070, but the TB3 performance loss is significant enough that I will need to go a bit higher with graphics card.

It's a Seagate FireCuda 2TB SSHD drive, if you're curious. Required throughput isn't anywhere near SSD levels, likely. Does GPU signal get prioritized? Or does any I/O just dig in to the allowed bandwidth for the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Eminent Member

I reckon the I/O ports will not be a big effect on the performance. The biggest effect would be the extra SATA drive you've hooked up. I don't think there will be a huge performance difference between a Mantiz Venus and an Akitio Node

I have a Mantiz Venus myself and I'm actually extremely happy with it. The I/O ports that come with it allow me to only use 1 cable for charging, peripherals and GPU. With the Node, you'd need a TB3 dock with charging and that will be an extra cable (quite nitpicky about this, but it makes a huge difference for me).

Also to answer your questions: internal acceleration is supported in the third beta, so I reckon it will be in the final version as well. As for choosing the eGPU, it's up to you. I prefer the Venus simply cause of the ports and charging that come with it.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Wunair

I reckon the I/O ports will not be a big effect on the performance. The biggest effect would be the extra SATA drive you've hooked up. I don't think there will be a huge performance difference between a Mantiz Venus and an Akitio Node

I have a Mantiz Venus myself and I'm actually extremely happy with it. The I/O ports that come with it allow me to only use 1 cable for charging, peripherals and GPU. With the Node, you'd need a TB3 dock with charging and that will be an extra cable (quite nitpicky about this, but it makes a huge difference for me).

Glad that the Venus works for you.  I’d like to offer price, performance and noise emission reasons then as to why the Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 (with no additional ports) is the current best TB3 enclosure for a 13″ or 15″ Macbook Pro here.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
cvfunstuff
(@cvfunstuff)

Posted by: nando4
Glad that the Venus works for you.  I'd like to offer price, performance and noise emission reasons as to why  the Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 is the current best TB3 enclosure for a 13" or 15" MBP here.

If I went Sonnet, what would I do with the 2.5inch drive?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: cvfunstuff

If I went Sonnet, what would I do with the 2.5inch drive?

You'd add a USB-C 2.5" drive enclosure attached to a separate TB3 MBP port. The components for that being:

~U$20 USB-C 2.5" drive enclosure - comes with a short 14cm USB-C cable
~US$4 USB-C male-male extension cable 100cm or 200cm  - long cable if want enclosure near the TB3 enclosure

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Eminent Member

Glad that the Venus works for you.  I’d like to offer price, performance and noise emission reasons then as to why the Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 (with no additional ports) is the current best TB3 enclosure for a 13″ or 15″ Macbook Pro here.

I did forget to mention that I swapped the stock fan with a Noctua Nf-A8 fan and it's been working like a dream since. The stock fan is incredibly loud at times. In my opinion, the Mantiz Venus isn't the cheapest eGPU, but the charging with I/O ports and able to hook up a SATA drive are very nice features. It saves up space and cables.

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

I did forget to mention that I swapped the stock fan with a Noctua Nf-A8 fan and it's been working like a dream since. The stock fan is incredibly loud at times. In my opinion, the Mantiz Venus isn't the cheapest eGPU, but the charging with I/O ports and able to hook up a SATA drive are very nice features. It saves up space and cables.

Thanks for your comment, in previous first few lots, we plug the system fan onto the 2nd fan connector which is generate the loud noise , it was control by different PWM profile, now we had changed it to the first Fan connector with a different PWM Fan control, then you get the quiet stock fan. 

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Mymantiz_John

Thanks for your comment, in previous first few lots, we plug the system fan onto the 2nd fan connector which is generate the loud noise , it was control by different PWM profile, now we had changed it to the first Fan connector with a different PWM Fan control, then you get the quiet stock fan. 

Yes I've swapped the connectors, but it was still very noticable. Definitely a good decision to spend a little bit more for a better fan.

ReplyQuote
masked
(@masked)

How have you found the gaming performance using the Sata port in the Venus vs. Internal? Haven't been able to find a clear answers on if it takes a hit.

ReplyQuote