2018 13" MBP with TB setup Windows 10 BootCamp with Aorus Gaming Box RX580 Error...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MBP with TB setup Windows 10 BootCamp with Aorus Gaming Box RX580 Error 12  

of  2
  RSS

Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)

Resource:
2018 13" MacBook Pro with touchbar, 16GB Ram, Core i7, macOS Mojave.
Windows 10 Professional Version 1803 (Download from Microsoft Web Pages)

Hey guys, I can confirmed that Apple had fixed the large memory in macOS Mojave public version.
Since I updated to Mojave, I install Windows 10 through BootCamp, Large Memory Area just appeared without any tricks.
         When I connected my RX580 at the moment Windows boot up, RX580 was detected almost immediately, and I got the driver through Windows Update, however, I still got a yellow ban in my device manager and show up error 12 again even though I have large memory area.
         Had tried some method:
          1. Hot Plug eGPU(boot without eGPU connected)  -> failed( Even didn't recognize as a eGPU).
          2. Hot Plug eGPU(boot with eGPU connected -> get yellow ban and hot plug again)-> failed (still get error 12).
          3. disable right thunderbolt(after boot) -> failed (still get error 12).
          4. disable right thunderbolt(before boot) -> failed (still get error 12).
I would be thankful if anyone give me some advice.

btw, can anyone tell me how to attach a picture in the article?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ruuuuuu The attachment feature requires 5+ posts. You can host the pictures on other image sites and link to them. Regarding error 12 with AMD eGPU, I'd recommend running DDU to remove the Apple Boot Camp graphics drivers. Download the latest drivers from AMD directly. You can follow the step-by-step in my 2018 13" MacBook Pro build guide and see if it helps. I tried it with the RX 580 Gaming Box and it worked.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Ahhh good ol error 12.
One thing that I learned on my journey of never fixing it is that when you disable ports its recommended you shut down fully and then restart. So disable right side and iSight camera, shut down, reboot... I never beat error 12 but I was disabling without restarting which I was told doesnt help at all.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member

@ruuuuuu I was in the same boat as you. Running these steps fixed it for me.

1. Run DDU to remove the Graphic Drivers (AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Everything) 

2. Disable right-side Thunderbolt Ports

3. Disable iSight Camera (This was key for me. Error 12 wouldn't go away without disabling the Camera)

4. Reboot – Error 12 was gone. 

Side Note: I'm running 2018 13" MBP with Touch Bar (i7 / 16gb Ram / 512gb SSD) and a Razer Core X with Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)

I'm very thankful for those advice!
*** Actually, I didn't found iSight Camera.  "iBridge FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)" is what I have and I disabled it too.
 I have tried what @itsage and @notorious826 mentioned: run DDU to remove AMD drivers (I didn't remove Intel drivers because I'm not sure will it case black internal display or not).
After DDU, I use the drivers directly from AMD website with successfully detected AMD Hardware connected. Starting driver installation and reboot(I use shut down and plug eGPU when boot up Windows).
Then when I open the AMD Radeon Software, it pop up  a warning window sait that "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD drivers is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."
Did I miss something or have any more advice?

Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)

Hey @itsage, I had tried your  2018 13" MacBook Pro build guide . However, it seems that RX580 still can't have enough memory to run.

• Boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP through Terminal. Open Startup Security Utility to set Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media [in Option Boot]                              -> Checked
  • Download Windows 10 ISO and install through Boot Camp Assistant [in macOS and Windows]  -> Checked
  • Complete Boot Camp driver installation then open Device Manager to disable PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9DB0 (to right Thunderbolt 3 ports) [in Windows]   -> Checked
  • Download and install rEFInd then mount EFI partition to enable spoof_osx_version 10.9 [in macOS]   -> Checked (It's enable in default)
  • Connect eGPU to the left Thunderbolt 3 port closest to display hinge then hit POWER button[Computer off]    -> Checked(Due to Gaming Box will wake up MacBook, I shut down MacBook with Gaming Box pluged with a view to simulate the "hit POWER button with eGPU plug" situation)
  • Select Windows volume then hit ENTER [in rEFInd Boot]  -> Checked (I selected the left one Window Logo)
  • Wait for Windows to complete booting and detect eGPU as well as auto-install of drivers [in Windows] -> Windows DIDN'T auto-install the driver, I installed it from AMD website.

Any more advice would be thankful.  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ruuuuuu I can do a clean Boot Camp setup with the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box later this week. I will let you know how that goes and post a build guide.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)

@itsage Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)

Hey @itsage,
        It's me again, I'm still stuck in yellow ban with error code 12. Would you mind to build a step-by-step RX580 Gaming Box build guide for me?   
2018 13" Macbook Pro with core i7, 16GB ram running in macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Thanks a lot!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2