2018 13" MBP with TB setup Windows 10 BootCamp with Aorus Gaming Box RX580 Error 12
@ruuuuuu Hey man, thank you for being persistent and bringing this thread up again. I tried the 2018 13" MacBook Pro + RX 580 Gaming Box tonight. Following the exact steps in my other AMD eGPU build guides with this 2018 MBP didn't always work. Sometimes the RX 580 Gaming Box would show up in Device Manager but yellow-banged. Other times it would not show up at all.
I did not give up and kept trying different configurations. I think I have it down now. The crucial PCI Express Root Port to disable is #3 - 9DBA. It is connecting to the wireless card. At first I had Port #3 disabled as well as Port #9 - 9DB0 but when I tried only Port #3 disabled, AMD XConnect still worked. Give this whole process a try and report back.
- Make sure rEFInd is working with spoof_osx_version 10.9 enabled
- Run DDU to remove Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers
- Disable PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9DBA in Device Manager
- Connect RX 580 Gaming Box to left TB3 port closest to display hinge
- Boot into Windows with rEFInd and install latest Radeon drivers
- Restart and AMD XConnect should come on to confirm successful setup
Once you have the RX 580 Gaming Box going, you can go back into Device Manager to enable PCIe Root Port #3 to have wireless connection working. The only inconvenience is that you have to disable/enable every boot. Here are some screen captures for reference.
I ran eGPU to confirm it's working with both internal display and external monitor mode. For some reasons FIFA19 would only work with an external monitor. Unigine benchmarks ran fine with internal display.
@itsage Thank you for response with a new method to reach the goal.
I've tried what you told:
- Make sure rEFInd is working with spoof_osx_version 10.9 enabled . -> without "#" mark. I think it's enabled.
- Run DDU to remove Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers . -> I tried both : Uninstall and restart & Uninstall and shutdown
- Disable PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9DBA in Device Manager . -> Disable checked
- Connect RX 580 Gaming Box to left TB3 port closest to display hinge . -> I think you probably means to connect eGPU before Windows boot up. Checked
- Boot into Windows with rEFInd and install latest Radeon drivers . -> Here is the step I failed.
The rEFI menu of mine :
I choose the Windows Logo on the left side, the one on the right side seems to be a fake one.
When Windows boot up, the screen shows some message:
I start to install latest Radeon drivers with those condition:
1. got a Microsoft Basic Video Card in device manager
2. Had DDU AMD drivers
3. eGPU connect to left thunderbolt closest to the screen before boot up
4. rEFI with spoof_osx_version 10.9 enabled
5. downloaded latest RX580 driver from AMD website
6. last boot up had disabled PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9DBA
And this is the situation I encountered:
- Restart and AMD XConnect should come on to confirm successful setup -> Restart without Microsoft Basic Card or RX580. The eGPU just disappeared int the device manager. But DDU has a AMD driver to uninstall.
btw, the rEFI booting video:
Sorry for keep asking stupid question lol. But I really want to get eGPU working.
Thanks a lot.
@ruuuuuu Everything looks good until that BSOD. I'd say to disable both Port #3 and Port #9 next to see if you can get the Radeon driver installation going. Once you have the drivers and eGPU going, you can try only Port #3 disabled at boot. You're getting very close. Keep trying.
Another visual cue to tell whether the RX 580 Gaming Box would work in Windows is the LED strip. When the MacBook Pro is off, upon connecting the eGPU and powering the system on the LEDs would light up. During Windows boot up (logo and spinning circle) the LEDs would go off. Once Windows gets to the login screen and about to load the Desktop the LEDs would come back on. That's a clear sign RX 580 eGPU would work without error 12.
@itsage I forgot to mention that I had tried disable Port #3 and Port#9 at the same time. But the Drivers installation still failed.
Would you mind to discuss this maybe on Skype, Messenger or Discord ... etc?
Thanks a lot.
I don't provide direct consulting but will try my best over the forum. Run DDU one more time to remove remnants of the failed Radeon driver installation. Disable both #3 and #9 before rebooting. Try with both left sided Thunderbolt 3 ports until you get the eGPU going. I connected the RX 580 Gaming Box to the 2018 13" MacBook Pro just now and confirmed the steps are working just fine. Having only #3 disabled sometimes leads to no eGPU detection. Both #3 and #9 disabled would work for sure.
@itsage I've tried what you told to disabled both #3 and #9 at the same times. This is what I did:
1. Disable #3 & #9
2. DDU Remove AMD Driver
4. eGPU connect to macbook pro
5. boot up with rEFI and choose left side Windows
6. got Microsoft Basic Graphic Card
7. install latest Radeon Driver
8. After install, get yellow ban(Code 12) in device manager
10. boot with eGPU connected
11. RX580 was not detected by macOS and Windows Both.
Sometimes Gaming Box need to relax itself I think.....
Sorry, but do you have any more suggestion?
Thanks a lot.
@itsage How did you find the performance (in games) between your old 2016 and your new 2018? Much of a boost from the extra cores? Do you have actual real world benchmarks/numbers you could share?
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10
Sorry for keep bringing this thread up again.
@itsage I'm still stuck in error 12. But I got some new progress here:
I've tried @goalque automate-eGPU EFI method. I got RX580 Gaming Box detected(PSU on, GPU fan on, LED on) in automate-eGPU boot menu.
In macOS 10.14:
All is well. EFI boot is not necessary.
In Windows 10:
I press q to go to boot menu. Choose Windows. The RX580 Gaming Box LED light disappeared and remain PSU on, GPU fan on, LED off.
And I got nothing in device manager.
I'm still confused what's wrong with my RX580.
When I finish the Radeon driver installation, the Xconnect didn't pop up, the installation ask me to reboot. Before I reboot, I check the device manager and I see RX580 with yellow ban.
Reboot with automate EFI => RX580 Gaming Box remain PSU on, GPU fan on, LED off.
Reboot with press [option] and choose Windows, plug in eGPU in the second I see Windows Logo => RX580 error 12.
I really need help. Thanks a lot.