2018 MacBook Air + ASUS AMD RXVega56 + eGFX Breakaway Box [email protected]

Notifications
Clear all

2018 MacBook Air + ASUS AMD RXVega56 + eGFX Breakaway Box [email protected]  

RSS

Gooze
(@gooze)

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting my 2018 MacBook Air to work with Bootcamp. OSX works fine.

I have a 2018 Macbook Air with 16 Gb memory. To the TB3 port closest to the hinge I have a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 connected. I have an external monitor hooked up to the ASUS AMD RX Vega 56 at a resolution of 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz.

The steps I performed so far:
- installed @goalque's EFI boot loader v 1.0.5
- logged into OSX without the eGPU attached and performed the two pmset -a gpuswitch commands in terminal.
- logged out
- connected the eGPU and logged back in
-restarted in Bootcamp, without the eGPU attached
- disabled in the Device Manager: 1. The webcam (USB Composite Device), 2. PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 
- rebooted (with the EFI boot loader active) into Bootcamp
With the eGPU attached during the boot process I sometimes get a BSOD
When connecting the eGPU after the initial circling dots, I can see the RX Vega56 in device manager, but I can't get around the error 12.

Is there anything that I am missing?

2018 MacBook Air (OSX 14.2, Win10), late 2015 iMac 5k (OSX 14.2, Win10) + Sonnet EFX Breakaway 650 + ASUS AMD Radeon Vega56

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I had a very similar issue, for me what solved it was plugging the egpu in at the exact time I selected windows. Fuller details in my build guide.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gooze
(@gooze)

Hi, I tried that, but it doesn't make any difference. Maybe it's because I can only find build guides by you involving the MacBook Pro. Mine is a 2018 Air. Or is the architecture that similar?

2018 MacBook Air (OSX 14.2, Win10), late 2015 iMac 5k (OSX 14.2, Win10) + Sonnet EFX Breakaway 650 + ASUS AMD Radeon Vega56

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@gooze How did the Radeon software installation take place? Was it automatically done by Windows or did you manually download and install the latest version from AMD website? I'd recommend using DDU to remove all AMD graphics drivers then hot-plug the AMD eGPU in Windows desktop to manually install the latest drivers. Hopefully this will prevent the BSOD issues when you boot up with the eGPU connected.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gooze
(@gooze)

I installed the off the shelf drivers (provided by ASUS) with my eGPU connected. Even with the error 12, I could install them. On the next reboot of windows, the AMD software did let me know that I had to reinstall the VGA drivers though.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'd recommend downloading and running DDU to remove all Nvidia & AMD graphics drivers. Restart without the eGPU connected. Once you're back into Windows Desktop, hot-plug the eGPU then install the latest Radeon drivers from AMD website.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gooze
(@gooze)

I finally found some time (after all family had left) to try what you suggested. The results depend a bit on boot order, but they are all unsatisfying. 
After I did what you suggested:
- if I boot with the egpu connected the egpu is not recognised as such by @goalque’s efi bootloader (see image).

IMG 4374

The result is that the egpu does not show up in the device manager and when I unplug and re-plug I get an error 12
- if I boot without the egpu connected during initial boot and hot plug once Windows is up and running I sometimes get an error 43, sometimes no error at all and the message that the hardware is functioning correctly, but the connected external monitor is not detected nor shows an image.

This post was modified 2 years ago

ReplyQuote