2018 Mac Mini, Bootcamp, Win 10 20H2, eGPU, easier than expected (eventually)

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini, Bootcamp, Win 10 20H2, eGPU, easier than expected (eventually)  

of  2
  RSS

cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

@simon_green, Thanks! Well, I found a little app to switch states between 'gaming' and Compute mode (AMD-Compute-Switcher). That did the trick, as I'm now up in the 20-23 MH/s depending on the miner used. I'm sure I can get a bit higher if I mess with tuning, but at least I'm in the ballpark (I'm not sure if the Blackmagic is a straight-out RX580, as maybe they tuned it a bit differently.)

I started with Cudo Miner, as I already had an account started there from earlier experimenting. Phoenix won't run for some reason, but maybe the versions they include have issues. I'll have to try it straight-out. My best performance so far has been with TeamRedMinder (and not the latest version, but 0.8.0), which seems to sit at right over 22 MH/s with the lowest power draw by a few watts. (Cudo Miner tries all the versions it has, then picks the best one... which is kind of handy info.)

I think I'm going to try one called nanopool and as you suggest, just mine to my wallet.

What I don't know yet, is if different version of AMD's drivers or Windows, have an impact (or how much). Most of the sites I found just say to use the latest. I installed BootCampDrivers Red version from July 2021.

Again, thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm finally glad I got it running. Now I can start experimenting.

As of July 24, 2021: 2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580) - Mojave 10.14.6 - (haven't succeeded past Win10 1809)

ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

Oh, I should also mention, I solved the mystery of the low GPU utilization. It turns out Ethereum mining pretty much just uses the RAM and not the GPU cores.

I found an interesting site:

mining.help

Lots of deep info on Ethereum mining and optimization, rig setups, pools, etc.

There was a section on dual mining that said:

"Ethereum is mined just by using the memory of your GPU, so the GPU’s core is almost not affected by  the ethereum mining at all. This gives a possibility to utilize the GPU core for mining some other coins in the same time as you mine ethereum without affecting its hashrate. Of course if you would mine the dual coin at full potency, it would affect the ethereum hashrate, that’s why we will need to optimize the intensity of the dual coin, lowering it at such degree that it’s not affecting the ethereum hashrate."

So, I *should* just be seeing a few percent GPU core usage. Pshew! Nerd  

As of July 24, 2021: 2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580) - Mojave 10.14.6 - (haven't succeeded past Win10 1809)

ReplyQuote
Simon Green
(@simon_green)

Ah, that makes sense - I remember when tuning it that it was all about clocking the memory and not-so-much the actual GPU.

Glad you got it all working - happy mining!

2018 Mac Mini, Gigabyte Rx 580 Gaming Box

cgWerks liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2