2018 MBP 15" with 5700xt troubles

Notifications
Clear all

2018 MBP 15" with 5700xt troubles  

RSS

R B
 R B
(@r_b)

Having troubles connecting xfx 5700 xt on bootcamp. I'm using windows 10 1903 v1 and mac os is 10.15.4. I installed windows just fine (i think), then go to windows and use the DDU, then do a factory reset of Adrenalin red from bootcampdrivers.com. Restart and connect egpu, but the screen is black. When I disconnect the epgu again the screen returns. I then disabled the 560 X dgpu in device manager and leave the 5700 connected, but when I go to open adrenalin it says no AMD drive is connected. I noticed there were suggestions to download an efi file, which I did, but honestly think that might be where I'm messing up because I get a bit confused at that point. 

2018 MBP i7, Radeon 560 X degu, 5700xt egpu, Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
iComicaLee
(@icomicalee)

@r_b, same issue here.

MBP 15" dGPU 455, eGPU 5700XT w/ Razer Core X enclosure

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Eminent Member

The order I did things was:

1.) Install win10 1903 v1 with GPU unplugged build 18362.30 (the specific build matters as subsequent security patches messed things up)

2.) boot in windows safe mode and run DDU

3.) boot in windows normal mode with eGPU plugged in and installed Red drivers from April 2020

4.) disable 560x in device manager

And that's it.  I boot with the GPU on, I haven't tried to hotplug but I have had zero issues and did not do the EFI stuff.

This post was modified 11 months ago

2019 15" MBP i9 32GB - Catalina 10.15.4
Asus XG Station Pro e-GPU
Gigabyte 5700 XT
Caldigit TS3+ Dock

ReplyQuote
R B
 R B
(@r_b)

@mike,  thank you for posting  the steps you followed, i'll give them a try in the next day or two 

ReplyQuote
R B
 R B
(@r_b)

Hey @mike,

I followed your steps (thanks again) and the Radeon software only recognizes the 5700 xt now, but when I open the Firestorm viewer for Second Life I keep getting a message that my video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or unsupported. Have you had an issues or know of a work around? 

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Eminent Member

No, but I haven't tried second life.  I would try a few other games before you give up.  I have only tried Civ VI and SOTTR.  Civ VI was good.  SOTTR had a lower frame rate in Windows than I would have expected. 

It looks like there is a free version of second life, I will try to give it go today/tomorrow.

2019 15" MBP i9 32GB - Catalina 10.15.4
Asus XG Station Pro e-GPU
Gigabyte 5700 XT
Caldigit TS3+ Dock

ReplyQuote