Notifications
Clear all

2018 mini with Ultrafine 5k  

of  2
  RSS

matthew white
(@matthew_white)

Hello everyone. 
I have a 2018 mini paired with a Sonnet breakaway box, 5600xt, and the thunderbolt-only LG ultra fine 5k. 
This setup works flawlessly in MacOS: eGPU on TB port 1, Ultrafine on port 4.

I updated to latest Win 10, followed the guide and used DDU to remove existing drivers. I was able to connect the eGPU, and install the latest Radeon drivers successfully. But on reboot, I am presented a black screen. Hot plug blue screens as expected. 

I’m assuming I’ll need a different display plugged into the eGPU directly to make it work in Windows (not gonna happen), But I’m hoping y’all have suggestions. I am well aware of the performance penalties in this setup, but that’s not my main concern.

thanks for any help!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
matthew white
(@matthew_white)

I played around and grabbed a DisplayPort monitor to connect directly to the eGPU. As suspected, when Windows boots up and utilizes the DisplayPort monitor, and the Intel GPU is disabled (missing from Device Manager).
The system detects my Ultrafine 5K, but doesn't send any signal however.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@matthew_white, so sounds like you have the first gen 5K right? If you have the second gen you could use a Moshi cable to link the 5K and GPU directly.

I have had a similar issue at times and to be honest I have no idea what I did to get round it (lots of variables). 

Have you tried hot plugging the eGPU once booted? Not sure if it works with your exact set up but have read that technique works on some.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
matthew white
(@matthew_white)

@eightarmedpet, Thanks for the reply.

Correct, the Ultrafine is first-gen (TB3 only). I tried hot-plugging, but get a blue screen. I suppose I could get a Titan Ridge card and go that route. But that’s getting too complex for a simple setup (single dad, so not much time to spend non-productively). 

I’ll just appreciate that MacOS is as stable as it is.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

@matthew_white, so sounds like you have the first gen 5K right? If you have the second gen you could use a Moshi cable to link the 5K and GPU directly.

Wait what???

you can drive the 5k LG monitor directly from an eGPU?  Even though it’s thunderbolt?  How in the world does that work?  And it will be capable of true 5K resolution at 60 Hz?

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

2018 i7 Mac Mini | Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 | XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
matthew white
(@matthew_white)

@nick_kay, No.
He mentions the second revision of the Ultrafine 5k, which is TB3/USB-C. However, it is locked to 4K via USB-C if I recall.

To connect the TB3 to eGPU, you’d need the Titan Ridge card.
[GPU](DP)—>(DP)[Titan Ridge](TB3)—>(TB3)[UltraFine 5K]

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@nick_kay, as above... only the second gen and only 4K. 
a tb3 add in card in a small enclosure works (I actually have all the parts) bits it’s too many cables for my liking. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

Nick Kay liked
ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

@nick_kay, as above... only the second gen and only 4K. 
a tb3 add in card in a small enclosure works (I actually have all the parts) bits it’s too many cables for my liking. 

Thanks for clarifying!
That’s what I thought, it’s limited to 4K60Hz 

Is this because the LG monitor supports an older version of DisplayPort where there’s not enough bandwidth for 5K at 60Hz?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @nick_kay

Thanks for clarifying!
That’s what I thought, it’s limited to 4K60Hz 

Is this because the LG monitor supports an older version of DisplayPort where there’s not enough bandwidth for 5K at 60Hz?

Correct. The LG UltraFine 5K uses dual DisplayPort 1.2 (HBR2) for 5K60 10 bpc. There exists 5K displays that use single DisplayPort 1.4 (HBR3) but that's only 75% the bandwidth of dual HBR2 so it's limited to 8 bpc. What you want is a display like the 6K Apple Pro Display XDR which uses Display Stream Compression (DSC) to effectively triple the bandwidth (6K 10bpc only requires single HBR2 with DSC).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

Nick Kay liked
ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)

@joevt

Thanks.  Don't mean to de-rail this thread was just really interested in this topic and this info is kind of hard to find.

I ended up getting an MSI 34" 5K/2K monitor.  It says DP 1.4 on the box, but it somehow achieves this resolution at 10bpc at 60hz.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2