2019 13' mbp gets BSOD after first hot-plug with Vega 64

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13' mbp gets BSOD after first hot-plug with Vega 64  

RSS

frankthetank_98
(@frankthetank_98)

This forum is full of wisdom and knowledge so I really hope that someone with similar builds could shed some light on the situation I encountered. 

I just installed Windows 10 1903 build 18362.30 today on my 2019 13inch MacBook pro with 2 TB ports. After reading @mac_editor 's build guide, I was convinced that the system would automatically install the driver for my eGPU upon hot-plug. However, what actually happened when I did it was that I get BSOD almost immediately after I connected my eGPU and the fans of my eGPU just seemed to start spinning at the max speed. The BSOD would stay there for a while before it forces my laptop to restart and reboot into Windows. Unfortunately, with the eGPU still connected, the reboot would be stuck at the Windows logo.

After some research, I found that disabling the Broadcom Bluetooth Controller over PCIE Device might be a potential fix as demonstrated by QuickTech in his . However, as his patch/disabler no longer seems to work, I cannot disable the controller by myself and this solution remains out of reach for me as of now.

I have come across a lot of threads talking about the infamous error 12 messages or other posts referencing other error messages in the setup processes. However, mine does not have a error message at all, instead, it would just go straight into BSOD and there's nothing I can really analyze given what I saw. So could anyone with similar encounters share their fixes after seeing this? I am really confused right now.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@frankthetank_98, The recommended approach in Boot Camp is to download and run DDU first to remove Apple supplied Radeon drivers and disable Windows auto installation of drivers for new devices (in DDU Option).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
frankthetank_98
(@frankthetank_98)

So updates for those who have similar builds and encountered BSOD upon hot-plug, now I have successfully connected to eGPU and managed to run some benchmarks/games. Apparently the issue is with the Broadcom Bluetooth Controller over PCIE, as mentioned above by myself. The trick to get past this is that you can simply uninstall the controller in your Device Manager(under "System Devices" in Windows 10 1903), and quickly hot plug your eGPU afterwards (in my case it is an Akitio Node Titan enclosure + AMD Vega Frontier Edition) to your MacBook Pro via a TB3 port. 

The consistent BSOD behaviours have been observed if I do not uninstall the controller before hot plugging my eGPU. This appears to be a PCIE resource shortage issue as the controller involved is associated with PCIE. But do not worry about your Bluetooth devices as the system will automatically reinstall the Bluetooth controller after some time, usually around half a minute or so. So once you uninstall your controller, your bluetooth keyboards/mouses would be temporarily disabled before they become functional again in a minute. And during this period, you should promptly plug in your eGPU as you would get BSOD still after the controller gets auto-installed. 

At this point, I am immensely grateful for @webdesign_master 's sharing on his fix for BSOD. Even though his disabler did not work for me, he pointed in the right direction, which allowed me to eventually figure out the key to solve this issue - disable/uninstall the Broadcom controller. Let's keep this spirit of helping one another going in this community.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote