2019 15" Macbook Pro iGPU graphics switching with dGPU

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" Macbook Pro iGPU graphics switching with dGPU  

RSS

AngryJedi
(@angryjedi)

Hey Guys, 

I'm new here and already love the forums, however I don't have a specific question about eGPUs, but the community is so active that I didn't know where else to ask for help. 

I have a 2019 15" Macbook Pro which has an Intel iGPU and an AMD 560X dGPU. In Bootcamp, only the dGPU is present and that becomes quite the battery hog while keeping the laptop toasty. I wanted to essentially enable the iGPU and dGPU both, such that I can have the internal display powered by the iGPU and have the dGPU kick in when the load is high similar to how windows laptops with the same setup work.

I've been reading here and saw that once you enable the iGPU using method of faking your bios into thinking its MacOS, and if you use the scripts to attach the iGPU to the internal display, this specific model of MacBook Pro has the black screen or the white dotted screen issue.

I haven't actually tried anything yet but was wondering, is there any way for me to achieve having my iGPU become primary and automatically switch to dGPU during heavy load just so I can save on battery life and have better heat management during Bootcamp for my Macbook Pro model?

Thank you so much for your help! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote