2019 16" MBP + Razer Core X + Kepler-Based nVidia GTX Titan Black = Head Scratching
GPU and enclosure work great in Bootcamp! In macOS Catalina 10.5.4 however, nothing occurs. I have tried the troubleshooting guides for unplugging. I have tried purge-wrangler and some other various scripts to force the usage of an nVidia GPU using built-in drivers for Kepler devices.
I'm scratching my head, and have tried so many things that I'm at a loss. Does anyone have a quick and dirty way to get a Kepler-based supported nVidia GPU working in a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure, on a Mac that natively supports eGPUs, with an nVidia card that supports Catalina?
I have been going nuts -- I have the following setup:
- MacBook Pro 2019 16" with Core i9 and Radeon RX 5500M 4GB dGPU
- Razer Core X w/stock TB3 cable
- Nvidia GTX Titan Black 6GB GPU
- When I use Purge-Wrangler and reboot; the system freezes on the Apple Logo. The system fans then spin up fast and the machine shuts down.
- If I boot without the eGPU plugged in, then plug in at login screen, the eGPU is detected and it "pretends" the login screen is being output to the monitor, but it is only a black display on the external monitor (using HDMI AND DisplayPort)
- If I boot, login, plug in eGPU, the system freezes, then reboots about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time, its fine. I then Go to "About this Mac" and see the Nvidia GTX Titan Black is listed as a GPU, but am unable to use it to output to another display.
I have tried the command pmset -a gpuswitch 0 command, which seems to be input correctly... but nothing happens. I'm at a loss.
What do you mean that "this isn't supposed on the Mac side" -- my understanding from reading around here and Reddit is that Catalina has support for Kepler Cards (AKA most GTX 600 and GTX 700 cards due to systems having those dGPUs).
Your post says you have an NVIDIA card, not an AMD
That’s correct. The issue I’m having is getting the NVidia card to work on the Mac side.
I already did try AMD, but that only works in macOS and not Windows - so now I got the nVidia card to hopefully have it work in both, and am sadly let down.
For GTX 680, I'm using Dual Link DVI because I have an old Apple 30" Cinema display. I think the DisplayPort output does not work in Catalina. Maybe WhateverGreen + Lilu has an option to fix this?
Maybe one of the agdpmod options?
Maybe WhateverGreen + Lilu has an option to fix this?
Could be - haven't tried.
Thank you! Though I guess my issue is more "intense" -- DisplayPort doesn't work, period. But then I tried HDMI which resulted in a black screen... and being able to drag my cursor over... but nothing else. Gadzooks.
I guess I will need to do more troubleshooting for now!