2019 MacBook Pro 13" i5- Bootcamp eGPU Error 12

Notifications
Clear all

2019 MacBook Pro 13" i5- Bootcamp eGPU Error 12  

RSS

sammy5gs
(@sammy5gs)

Hey Guys - sorry but I have to caveat that a lot of this may be noobish questions.  First, here is my setup:

My eGPU is working fine in Mac OS Mojave - no issues there (internal, external, benchmarks - all as expected).  Then installed Windows 10 1903 (latest version) via BootCamp but did not have the eGPU plugged in.  

I did a ton of reading on this forum to prep, setup my MBP to No Security and to allow external boot from media, formatted a USB stick with Master Boot Record, followed instructions for automate-eGPU EFI.  I have gone through a few different installs of BootCamp.

Here are the main attempts I have gone through without success in Windows:

First try (before I did some reading and was hoping the rumors of hot plug capability would give me luck):

1. Booted up to Bootcamp/Windows
  2. Plugged in my eGPU and powered on
  3. Windows adds PCI device and eventually AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 shows up in Device Manager with Error 12
  4. Upon restart, Windows hangs on bootup (Windows logo hangs/flickers)

Second try:

1. Attempted procedure with rEFInd Boot Manager, Mount ESP volume (disabled SIP), apple_set_os.efi
  2. Attempted to boot up to rEFInd and could not get it to load for the life of me

Third try (fresh install of Windows 10 - latest version) via Bootcamp:

1. Plugged in USB stick with automate-eGPU
  2. Plugged in my eGPU/powered on in Mac OS
  3. Restarted holding Option key
  4. Selected EFI Boot
  5. eGPU not detected - the message I got on the initial screen
  6. Selected to boot into Windows
  7. Windows Logo screen hangs (nothing on External display) - hard shutdown and only able to get into Boot out of it by unplugging TB3 cable from eGPU

Fourth try:

1. Plugged in USB stick with automate-eGPU
  2. Restarted holding Option key
  3. Selected EFI Boot
  4. eGPU not detected - the message I got on the initial screen
  5. Plugged in my eGPU/powered on 
  6. Selected to boot into Windows
  7. Windows Logo screen hangs (nothing on External display) - hard shutdown and only able to get into Boot out of it by unplugging TB3 cable from eGPU

I am not fully comfortable with Terminal commands and settings, but thought I followed all of the instructions as best as I could.

Anywho, if anyone can let me know what I am missing, what I can try, any more detail I can provide to help get this resolved, that would be most appreciated.  

Thanks again for your time and patience.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Med Badr Chemmaoui
(@med_badr_chemmaoui)

@sammy5gs

Hi, I have the same exact setup (2TB 2019 MBP 13in with RazerCore x and Vega 64), I also had the same issue, here's how I solved it:

Right-click the start menu and choose Run, inn the Run window, type winver and press OK. check the build of windows you have, if it's anything above  18362.295 = that's your problem, the latest win10 build have problems running eGPUs. G0 back to build .295 and you should be golden. 

This post was modified 12 months ago

MBP 13in 2019 + RazerCoreX w/ Vega 64

ReplyQuote
sammy5gs
(@sammy5gs)

Awesome. Thanks to both of you. @mac_editor @med_badr_chemmaoui

I did a fresh install and am back to 18362.30. 

I disabled the windows update service, but what method would you guys recommend as it relates to being able to pick/choose which Windows Updates I should install. 

sorry, still trying to figure out windows. 

This post was modified 12 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
JamesDev
(@jamesdev)

@med_badr_chemmaoui, I have exactly this version of Windows. It works on my external display. But my internal display has a windows logo I cannot turn off, how do I fix this?

My rigs: MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - Razer Core X + Asus STRIX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote