2019 Macbook Pro 15" + Blackmagic eGPU Pro - can't see the eGPU in device manage...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 Macbook Pro 15" + Blackmagic eGPU Pro - can't see the eGPU in device manager  

RSS

swistak
(@swistak)

Context:

15" 2019 8C Macbook Pro

Blackmagic eGPU Pro (titan ridge)

Windows 10 2004

Symptoms:

1. When I plug in the eGPU in Windows, I get the "ping" that new device has been connected, device manager refreshes, then I get the ping that a device has been disconnected

2. I see no devices showing problems in device manager

3. If I use the automate-egpu EFI, it detects 3 addresses for GPU but won't let me select an eGPU

Questions:

1. How can I see the logs of devices connected to windows? I am quite new to it, but looking for something like Mac OS "Console" app

2. How can I force automate-egpu to allow me to select things that appear as iGPU/dGPU instead?

3. Is there anything else I can do to try to get the eGPU to show up?

I am going to try installing 1903 so that I can copy pci-e.sys across (and see if there is an older working version) but I'd appreciate any other hints. Need 1909 or later for the xbox live game pass to work 🙁 

For what it's worth, an identical setup with 2017 Macbook Pro works straight out of the box, without any extra work to setup EFI etc

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago
2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU Pro) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@swistak, Take a look at the modified apple_set_os.efi v0.5 which works better on Apple T2 Security Chip Macs.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
swistak
(@swistak)

Good news! Your advice did work. I used the bootable windows drive from my other build and modified the EFI and now have a working displayport output on Blackmagic eGPU Pro in bootcamp. Still cannot get thunderbolt 3 to work

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU Pro) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ktek
 ktek
(@ktek)

Posted by: @swistak

Good news! Your advice did work. I used the bootable windows drive from my other build and modified the EFI and now have a working displayport output on Blackmagic eGPU Pro in bootcamp. Still cannot get thunderbolt 3 to work

Only thing that fixed TB output in Windows with BMD eGPU Pro for me AFAIK was some random firmware update for the egpu in macOS. Tried to track it down what it was and is there any way to force it but no luck so far. 

Older version of Windows 10 works with LG5K without any tricks and newer ones (currently on latest fast ring, 19640?) need setosefi v0.5 and port dance, but with April edition bootcampdrivers I have no problem with internal display or anything. Some random GSODs but that might be just fast ring build, or April drivers. 

Macbook Pro 2019 16" + Blackmagic eGPU Pro + LG Ultrafine 5K
ktek#2994 @ Discord

Quick and dirty writeup about "plug and play" 16" Pro + Blackmagic eGPU Pro + LG5K working in Bootcamp.

ReplyQuote