2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] 2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 // Code 12 🙁  

of  2
  RSS

jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

I was hoping to post a cheerful build of what I assumed would be a painless Bootcamp + Nvidia setup, but so far I haven't been able to resolve the Code 12 Error. I suspect it may be due to the 2020 MBP 13" having some new PCIe architecture, but I will update this build if/when it is resolved. Community wisdom would be much appreciated!

**UPDATE**

I was able to successfully get an NVIDIA eGPU running by using a Win10 ISO that was build 19041.264 specifically, instead of an earlier build 19041.xx and trying to update to 19041.264.

System specs

2020 13" MacBook Pro

• 32GB RAM
  • 2TB SSD
  • Intel Iris Plus iGPU
  • 4 TB3 ports
  • HP E243 monitor

eGPU hardware

Mantiz Venus

• Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini 8GB (only got the Mini because it could ship immediately, there's plenty of room to spare inside the Mantiz)
  • Seagate Barracude 3TB HDD mounted inside
  • 0.5m TB3 cable included with Mantis

Hardware pictures

(I promise to add later once it's working and I can tidy my desk. The Mantiz space grey matches the Mac perfectly.)

Installation steps

I have been trying to get the GTX card to work for a few days, and have repeated my efforts with the RTX card. So far, nothing has gotten rid of the Code 12 error. Here are all of the combinations and methods I have tried:

• Windows 10 1903 V1 + manually updated to .295
  • Windows 10 Insider fast ring 2004 (build 19624.1000)
  • DDU to remove all Nvidia drivers, then manually installed latest drivers from Nvidia (445.87)
  • Cold plugging, hot plugging during startup, hot plugging after waiting 10 minutes for windows to load fully
  • Tried all four TB3 ports
  • Tried with and without the HDD mounted inside the Mantiz
  • Tried with and without any other USB devices or ethernet cable plugged in to the Mantiz
  • Tried disabling the other TB3 ports in Device Manager
  • Tried uninstalling and then rechecking for PnP devices in Device Manager
  • Tried all the above combinations on both the GTX 970 and the RTX 2070 cards

Benchmarks

(Will update once working)

Comments

Here's a look at the HWiNFO64 output. As far as I can tell all four TB3 ports are 4x. Not sure what other insight I can glean from this but I am happy to fully expand it and share more info if that is helpful.

I have been assuming that EFI modifications were for MacBooks with both an iGPU and a dGPU, and that it would not be necessary for this iGPU only 13", but maybe I'm wrong?

I also assume that DSDT Overrides is just to enable the large memory allocation on older (pre-2017?) Macs, and that this one already has it. The Large Memory area is visible, so I assume that that is not the issue. Does the GPU need to be listed specifically under large memory allocation?

Please let me know if there are any strategies I have missed, or if there is any more diagnostic info about this new hardware that I can provide. Thanks!

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jonodavis, I would say to redo with Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO and not to update. Run DDU, hot-plug the RTX 2070S eGPU and try Nvidia graphics drivers version 431.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@itsage, same result, unfortunately.

I installed 1903 V1 from scratch and then disabled updates with the Group Policy Editor.

Then I used DDU to remove all Nvidia drivers and block Windows from automatically trying to install GPU drivers going forward.

After DDU made me restart I waited for Windows to load completely (quite fast on the SSD) and then hot-plugged into one of the right-side TB3 ports. Windows takes about 30 seconds to recognize the new devices (EGPU + a bunch of USB busses) and during that time the mouse, network and keyboard is unresponsive as you have noted before.

One everything was recognized by Windows I ran the Nvidia 431.86 "Studio" drivers installer, which asked for a restart when it finished. This restart actually got hung up on MacOS spinning progress wheel until I held down the power button to do a hard restart. (There may be some lingering boot issues from a failed 1809 installation).

Once Windows loaded again I hot plugged the EGPE into the same right-side TB3 port and wen through the same process of windows becoming unresponsive while it was recognized.

After all that, Windows is still giving me a Code 12 error.

I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced Code 12 error with Nvidia cards? All the posts I've seen about it are for AMD cards only, or much older Mac systems.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

@jonodavis, If you go into the device manager, and select "resources by type" from the view menu, is there an entry for "Large Memory"?  If not there may need to be a DSDT override for these new icelake macbooks possibly.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@ningauble77, Yes, there is one entry under Large Memory Allocation for "PCI Root Complex". If there is an entry there, does that necessarily mean a DSDT Override is unnecessary? Or does it require there to be an entry in that area *specifically* for the graphics card?

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

@jonodavis, No the fact it is present means a dsdt override probably wouldn't help.  There is something else going on with the icelake macbooks which so far seems to make them more difficult to get working.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@eightarmedpet, I looked around for an official 1809 .ISO, but I couldn’t find one directly from Microsoft. I ended up downloading one from TPB that I believe was version 1809.107 but it crashed during install when it attempted to change some BIOS settings.

Do you have an .ISO of 1809 that you’ve successfully installed into Bootcamp?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@jonodavis, I have a 1609 and an 1803, both official, but god knows how I would/could share... I thought iCloud had sharing built in now - but nope, and the latest Drobpox is a shit show with it's new desktop app and claims I dont have permissions to share but gives no further details (maybe because I am no longer paying for an account?).

Let me keep digging/trying - feel free to DM me your email, I may be able to do it that way with Dropbox.

This post was modified 2 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jonodavis, Which Thunderbolt 3 did you try? Looking at the HWiNFO64 screen cap, my next recommendation is to locate the TB3 port that links to PCI Express x4 Bus #1. Once you identify that TB3 port, disable the other ones in Device Manager. Proceed to run DDU then hot-plug the eGPU and install drivers. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2