Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  18
  RSS

jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

I am starting this thread to try to collect all of the info for troubleshooting a Boot Camp EGPU setup specifically with the 2020 MacBook Pro 13". Right now there's a lot of info spread across a few different threads, builds and MacBook Air discussions, so hopefully collecting it here will be helpful to other 2020 13" MacBook Pro owners who are trying to use an EGPU with Boot Camp.

Want to help? Test the following if you can!

• 2020 13” MacBook Pro with an 8th or 10th gen CPU and an enclosure or GPU not listed above

Original Post from 5/15/2020

Personally, I have not yet been able to get an EGPU to work in Boot Camp, and I haven't found any reports online of other being successful. There are many reports of people getting 2019 and earlier MacBooks Pro to work with EGPUs in Boot Camp, but nothing yet for the 2020.

The entry level 2020 13" MBP can be specced with either an i5 or i7 8th generation (aka Coffee Lake) processor, and the higher-end 2020 13" MBP comes with the newer 10th generation (Ice Lake) i5 or i7 processors. Ice Lake integrates the Thunderbolt controller into the CPU instead of having it as a separate chipset like in earlier generations, and I believe this change in architecture is at the root of the issue, but I am happy to entertain and test all theories.

The failure mode that I consistently encounter is the Code 12 error in Device Manager, which says “This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.”

Below is a list of the specific hardware, software, setup methods, hacks, blessing and incantations that I have tried. Please chime in if you have additional suggestions of things to attempt, or if you have different hardware available to you to test on your own. Heck, please try to replicate my results as well! The reproducibility of results is the foundation of scientific research.

MacBook Pro

2020 13" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro16,2, Model A2251)

• i7 2.3 GHz (10th generation, quad-core,  i7-1068NG7)
  • 4 TB3 ports (each of them is 4x)
  • 32GB RAM
  • 2TB SSD
  • Intel Iris Plus iGPU

GPU's:

Enclosures:

Software:

• All Windows versions 1803 through 2004 (Insider Fast Ring)
  • Nvidia drivers ver 445.87 (Game Ready) and 442.92 (Studio)
  • Intel Thunderbolt Controller Drivers
    • ver 1.41.789.0 included in the Boot Camp support installer
    • ver 1.41.769.0 from Intel’s website for their NUC
    • ver 1.41.767.0 from a website for the Asus StudioBook which also has a 10th gen i7
  • Intel Thunderbolt Control Center never worked: couldn’t see the EGPU even if it was recognized by Device Manager

I have tried to replicate these builds and test methods:

• andygev35’s 2020 13" MacBook Air [build link]: error 12
  • automate-egpu EFI with the Catalina fix applied: error 12
  • Replacing the PCI driver pci.sys as discovered by @bas_timer: error 12 or green screen of death
  • Disabling devices in Device Manager to free up PCIe resources: error 12
  • Using DDU to get rid of all the stock Nvidia and AMD drivers before reinstalling fresh ones: error 12
  • Hot plugging before, during and after Window boots up, error 12
  • Hot plugging and then switching the plug around from left to right to left again: error 12
  • Cold plugging: error 12 or stuck in boot up before Windows even loads
  • Blowing in the EGPU fan grill like an SNES cartridge: still an error 12 it and made me dizzy
  • Putting the MBP in clamshell mode after booting while holding Option and then selecting Windows with an external keyboard
  • Regedited "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\Pci" to tried HackFlag 200, 400 and 600

Got any more ideas? Let me know if there's a method you've seen that I haven't listed here or if you have your own 2020 13" MBP to test on. Sooner or later I am sure this community will solve the mystery, or one of the drivers will get updated with a fix.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Not really a suggestion but a question.  On previous MacBooks with only intel gpu graphics, booting to windows with the egpu plugged in at boot time would cause the internal display to hang with the windows logo, as a result of the igpu being disabled by the apple UEFI.  Does this occur with the 2020 model?  If not it means that the 2020 model's boot firmware has been altered in ways the 14nm-based models were not.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @jonodavis

Blowing in the EGPU fan grill like an SNES cartridge: still an error 12 it and made me dizzy

At least you're keeping your sense of humor...  I'll be trying it out next week myself.  I'm curious if anyone can get an AMD card working in Bootcamp...  It seems like Nvidia has been cast completely out of the ecosystem in 2020.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 Dual Bios
Flashed with Vega 64 on Secondary Bios

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jonodavis, I would have expected the setup to be identical to the 2019 13" MacBook Pro - which was quite easy to set up (with an AMD card no less - NVIDIA is easier). Unless something has changed.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-13-macbook-pro-8th-4c-u-rx-vega-64-32gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-macos-10-14-6-win10/

The steps outlined above should work with NVIDIA GPUs as well. Just NVIDIA drivers instead of AMD drivers and no functionality in macOS. I'll try with an NVIDIA eGPU too and see how it goes.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'm curious if Apple has made changes to Secure Boot. For those with a Ice Lake CPU 2020 Mac, can you boot into Recovery and share what settings are in Secure Boot? My recommendation is to disable Secure mode and allow booting of external sources to lessen the grip of Apple T2 Security chipset. Another attempt for resource allocation during Windows boot is to cold-plug a Thunderbolt 3 device that is not an eGPU. Once this TB3 device works in Windows, you can hot-swap the eGPU (best to try with Win10 1903 18362.30 to .295). The idea is to establish a PCI Express Bus connection to the Thunderbolt 3 port and connected device.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

@jonodavis, I would have expected the setup to be identical to the 2019 13" MacBook Pro - which was quite easy to set up (with an AMD card no less - NVIDIA is easier). Unless something has changed.

That may actually be the case with the base model, but the high-end model has completely different internals.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 Dual Bios
Flashed with Vega 64 on Secondary Bios

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @andygev35

That may actually be the case with the base model, but the high-end model has completely different internals.

Which doesn't always imply a change in eGPU compatibility on macs - all is governed by software/firmware. In the past, Apple has continuously iterated over its Mac lineup with minimal discrepencies in behavior. Anyway hope we can find a resolution.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@ningauble77, I have never seen the boot up hang on the Windows logo specifically, but there have been a few other instances where having the EGPU plugged in before Windows is loaded has caused an issue.

If the EGPU is plugged in before the Mac turns on, then sometimes it will hang on the spinning pin wheel with no Apple logo, similar to the image below. This has happened to me regardless if the Windows Boot Camp partition or the Macintosh HD partition has been blessed as the startup disk vie System Preferences in MacOS or the Boot Camp setting in the Windows 10 task bar. I am not sure what causes this inconsistent behavior.

If I start the Mac and hold down the option key it loads the native Boot Camp startup drive selection screen. If I plug the EGPU in at this point there is no immediately apparent issue, and the left and right keys still function to switch back and forth between the Windows Boot Camp partition and the Macintosh HD partition. It is only when I hit ENTER or mouse-click on the little upward arrow to select an operating system then the computer freezes on this screen.

If I plug the EGPU immediately after having selected the Boot Camp drive, it loads Windows normally but still results in a Code 12 error once I get to the desktop. I have tried this many times to see if slightly different timing helps, but I have never gotten it to do anything other than load the desktop and then spend about 30 seconds updating PnP hardware in Device Manager before finally recognizing the EGPU but giving it the ol' yellow bang Code 12 error.

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

For those with a Ice Lake CPU 2020 Mac, can you boot into Recovery and share what settings are in Secure Boot? My recommendation is to disable Secure mode and allow booting of external sources to lessen the grip of Apple T2 Security chipset.

My Startup Security Utility screen looks identical to this one from Apple's support site:

By default it was entirely locked down, but I now have mine set to Secure Boot: No Security, and Allowed Boot Media: Allow booting from external or removable media. I believe I turned down the security when I first attempted automate-egpu EFI with a USB stick (I later also tried it with a modified EFI file on my Boot Camp partition).

Posted by: @mac_editor

That's exactly what I was expecting when I ordered this laptop, but it seems like something has changed along the way. I suspect it may be integrating the Thunderbolt controller, but we may never now even after we get it working. I think your build (Windows 1903, upgraded to .295) was one of the first I tried to replicate, but no luck.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

Another attempt for resource allocation during Windows boot is to cold-plug a Thunderbolt 3 device that is not an eGPU. Once this TB3 device works in Windows, you can hot-swap the eGPU (best to try with Win10 1903 18362.30 to .295). The idea is to establish a PCI Express Bus connection to the Thunderbolt 3 port and connected device.

The closest I have come to testing this is using my Mantiz without a GPU inside it. The SATA connection for a HDD, the Ethernet adapter and USB hub functionality have all worked flawlessly whether there's a GPU installed or not. 

If I connect the Mantiz without a GPU inside it these additional devices all show up under a "Intel Ice Lake - Integrated Thunderbolt PCI Express Bus #....", so I suspect that the Express bus connection is working.

I'm not bold enough to try hot plugging the GPU into the enclosure while it's running.

Scared  

ReplyQuote
 of  18