2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting

Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  19
  RSS

Chefkoch
(@chefkoch)

@john_karabudak, I also tested updating 1903 v1 to the fast build, same error 12. Trying to clean install Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_de-de_19619.iso gave me a blue screen after 10 minutes of waiting directly at the "starting setup" screen.

2020 13" MacBook Pro (4TB, i5, 16GB) - Razer Core X - AMD RX580 - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
Elrond022
(@elrond022)

@john_karabudak, tried the newest insider build today and it doesn't work either. So again the nemesis in form of an error 12.

Every day you use a C64 a Pokemon dies.

ReplyQuote
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@chefkoch, Yes I noticed that when trying the ISO. You have to install and older version and then update inside Windows for it to work.

UPDATE

OK so here's what I've tried tonight:

• Put on 1903 and disabled updates
  • Run DDU inside safe mode and removed all Nvidia and AMD drivers plus disabled Windows Update for drivers
  • Booted up and plugged in eGPU and tried the BootCamp Drivers AMD package...
    • No dice. It's the same error on other builds. Complains at the end of the driver installation

Next...

• Turned off Boot Security in the Recovery section
  • Used Clover to put in the EFI hack from the link in this thread that was recommended
  • Rebooted and plugged in the eGPU in on boot on the left side (Not sure it makes a difference on these laptops as think both sides are full speed?), detected on the screen and pressed space
  • Booted into Windows and plugged into the right side
  • Drivers hadn't loaded from the other time so ran the Bootcamp Drivers AMD package...
    • No error this time, drivers installed OK
  • Needed a reboot so let it reboot. Seems it skips the EFI boot on a reboot so error code 12.
  • Turned the laptop off, started up and now I've the EFI boot screen. eGPU into the left...
  • Booted up and eGPU into the right... Code 12 🙁
  • Tried again. Powered off and started up, then GPU into the left
  • Boot and GPU into the right
  • No code 12 but back to basic drivers again. Reinstall and back to needing a reboot.

So this seems like it does something but it's not quite solving the issue or maybe my timing is off. Gonna give up for now and try again later.

Also need to try disabling devices like Andy did on his Air though the issue I see there is the number of Thunderbolt controllers is different. I think this might be why the Air works with those steps but the 13 doesn't even though the CPU's are both 10th gen models.

MacOS gaming update

Still not particularly great in DOTA 2. Tried Parallels and putting DOTA 2 in that but that performs very badly.

Tried Bioshock Remastered which I read is a Metal game. That runs awesome. No idea what frame rate or such but it was smooth and playback, just like I'd probably expect inside Windows. Might find another to try out.

This post was modified 1 week ago

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with Nvidia 1080 GTX in BootCamp. AMD 5700XT coming soon...

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Trusted Member

@james_bland, I've only been messing with it for a few hours, but I'm in the same boat as you at the moment.  Code 12 for days...  I've got all weekend to mess with it though.  I don't give up easy.

Edit:  Think I may try v1809 and see how that goes...

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 Dual Bios
Flashed with Vega 64 on Secondary Bios

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, good luck.

Stayed up super late looking into the DSDT hack as that feels like at this point it might be the only way. However it’s giving me an error trying to uncompile the DSDT after I’ve exported it using their recommended versions. Feels like there’s something new and different in there.

I tried the latest tools which they didn’t recommend as they get more errors and sure enough, it was worse.

I’ll look into it a bit more tomorrow I guess but I’m running out of ideas. Might be have to wait for MS to hopefully fix it in an insider build like they have for others or well just sort out their PCI allocation so it just goes 64bit to get rid of this once and for all.

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with Nvidia 1080 GTX in BootCamp. AMD 5700XT coming soon...

ReplyQuote
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

Far out idea but... does anyone know if Apple enables VT-d?

They don’t support it in their OS so you cannot build a Windows VM and push though the eGPU directly to it.

From my reading though Linux with a boot option can use a 64bit PCI Express address space like MacOS does. So the eGPU should work there and from Linux if VT-D works you should be able to push that into a VM.

I’m thinking if you just had a minimal console install of Linux, pushed all the CPU cores and all but maybe 1GB of RAM to the VM the performance hit would be minimal. I feel like that might work though be a bit of a pain to set it all up.

OK off to sleep now. See what tomorrow brings.

ReplyQuote
(@paul_malin)

Hey guys, reading this thread it seems no-one has managed to get any eGPU (Including Blackmagic) to work on a 2020 Macbook Pro 13 Inch? Is that correct?

I've been trying for the last few days and been unsuccessful, keep getting errors. Will be good to know it's not only me, as I keep being told it should be plug and play with the new Windows Fast builds.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Trusted Member

@paul_malin, there have been two reports of success.  @doctorez has gotten his Core i7/32G/1TB working with a Razer X Chroma and a Radeon VII both in MacOS and Bootcamp, and @james_bland got his working with a GTX 1080 in Bootcamp with the 2004 Insider build, so there's at least some hope.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 Dual Bios
Flashed with Vega 64 on Secondary Bios

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

sdedalus1 liked
ReplyQuote
Chefkoch
(@chefkoch)

@eightarmedpet, and what exactly to do with these?

2020 13" MacBook Pro (4TB, i5, 16GB) - Razer Core X - AMD RX580 - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
 of  19