Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  24
  RSS

andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@itsage, thank you.  Hopefully the procedure will work for the Vega 56/64 as well.  Looks like the same MBP model I have so I’m cautiously optimistic and eagerly awaiting the build guide.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kobazik
(@kobazik)

@itsage, Excellent! My 2020 MBP arrived yesterday and I've been trying to get 5700XT to work in bootcamp since then!

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X and Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ Special Edition

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@itsage, I feel like I’ve tried your approach roughly already without success in your build guide. I guess the difference though is I didn’t disable all the ports but just 2 of the 4 because I need another working for keyboard / mouse / Ethernet. I guess can try it exactly as you say with just 1 to check if I can get that to work.

In other news I solved my poor DOTA 2 performance in MacOS last night. Seems that even though it was using the external GPU as I could tell from Activity Monitor. If you find the app hidden away on the Disk and enable Prefer external eGPU that fixes the choppiness. I don’t quite get why but it’s smooth as butter with that enabled. I had maybe wrongly assumed you only use that if the app doesn’t automatically use the eGPU and because it was already using it I hadn’t touched that setting.

This post was modified 1 month ago

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@james_bland, don’t give up.  I managed to get it working using @itsage’s guide but I had to disable iris plus graphics in addition to the three bottom PCI root ports before hotplugging and installing AMD drivers.  Also make sure to select factory reset when installing AMD drivers.  Cold-plugging seems to work without rEFInd or EFI Bootloader.  I haven’t tested stability or speed yet though.

Razer Core X

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@itsage, really appreciate your help and work on this. Hopefully can get it to work myself.

@andygev35, indeed. I’ll give this a whirl tomorrow as taking a day off faffing with Bootcamp. I need to check the ISO I have is that exact build of 1903 but think it is.

I did quickly try this with the latest Fast Build of Windows Insider (Simply because it’s what’s on there currently). Disabled the 3 PCI root ports but no go. Tried with Iris Graphics disables as well but still no go. Microsoft really has made a hash of their eGPU support.

I see step one is to turn off boot security and allowing booting from USB. Does boot security take up any resources? It just seems like as your running a non modified Windows it wouldn’t actually be needed.

This post was modified 1 month ago

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @james_bland

I see step one is to turn off boot security and allowing booting from USB. Does boot security take up any resources? It just seems like as your running a non modified Windows it wouldn’t actually be needed

The way I understand it, Boot Security (via the T2 chip) wreaks havoc on an eGPU setup in Bootcamp.  In fact I just re-enabled it to try it myself, and it won't even boot into Bootcamp.

Razer Core X

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Apple T2 Security Chip puts up a lot of shields during preboot so we have no clue what to expect with a connected eGPU when Secure Boot is enabled.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@itsage, thanks. Seems safest approach then. For reference when I had my Nvidia card working I’d left that on though. Nvidia works very easily vs AMD.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@james_bland, I will say this...  The gaming performance in Bootcamp is easily 25%-35% better using the same eGPU than the comparably equipped 2020 MacBook Air, due to the MBP having a proper cooling solution.  I’ll be selling the Air.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Noah Smith
(@noah_smith)

Hi yall, 

First off I'd like to express how thankful I am that there is a community of eGPU users.

Second, I'd like to preface this by saying that I am new to Mac, and I am not extremely technologically inclined, so much of the jargon that I see in these threads is unintelligible to me, but I am trying, and doing my research.

I just picked up a 2020 MBP 13 with i7/16/512 to replace my 2016 Razer Blade Stealth 12.5 with a faulty battery. With my previous laptop, I would use my Razer Core V2 with a GTX1060, but picked up a Zotac RTX2070 Super Mini alongside the new MBP

On the Blade Stealth, everything was plug-and-play for obvious reasons. I Bootcamped Windows 10 onto the MBP with a 100GB partition, and I have games installed on a 1TB Type-C SSD. 

Is it even possible to use an eGPU with the 10th gen CPU MBP as of right now? 

Things I've noticed:

• MBP won't boot into W10 while the RCV2 is connected - tried the EFI thing, anotd I'm not sure if I installed/configured/used it correctly as it still wont boot in without disconnecting the eGPU
  • When I boot into W10 and connect the Core, all of my usb accessories disconnect, my cursor disappears, and everything returns to normal after about 10 seconds. The Core and GPU fans are spinning. Device manager detects the 2070S under display adapters, but after about 20 seconds of being plugged in, a yellow triangle appears on the icon corresponding to the 2070S.

My questions:

• Should I be plugging in using the right or left TB3 ports? I saw something saying the right ones would be optimal but I wanted to confirm.
  • I tried following the setup guide on this site, but nothing seems to be working. Is it possible for this to work on this device in the first place?
  • If there is anything I can try/attempt to help anyone else out, please dont hesitate to let me know

2020 Macbook Pro 13" - i7 1068NG7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
2016 Razer Blade Stealth 12.5 - i7 7500U - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Razer Core V2
Zotac RTX2070 Super Mini

ReplyQuote
 of  24