2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting

Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  24
  RSS

ShellShocked
(@shellshocked)

@noah_smith, as of right now we have a few confirmed cases of working eGPU setups in both OSX and BootCamp on the 2020 ice lake MBP's.

Right/left port does not seem to make a difference in the new ones since they all have full speed for data transfer (this was not the case with several previous models).

For now, other than following the steps of the few people that have succeeded in this thread and others --and expecting to sink considerable time and trial and error on it -- we are mostly waiting for itsage's step by step guide which should be up shortly.

He's an admin here with a lot of experience and just confirmed his own success. So up to you how patient you wanna be about it. I've been doing my best to be a good boy and not order stuff until I saw some success cases but that's mostly because I rarely get time to do troubleshooting this serious/complex.

2020 Mac Book Pro 13" i7 1068NG7 32GB RAM 1TB SSD (shipped!)
eGPU: TBD depending on what happens on the ice lake thread

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@shellshocked, I posted my 2020 13-in MacBook Pro (i5-1038NG7) build yesterday and confirmed the Boot Camp setup procedure work with all Radeon GPUs that have eGPU support in macOS [build link]. There are at least five members that were able to replicate the success with Radeon eGPU in Boot Camp using the Ice Lake CPU 2020 13-in MacBook Pro.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, good stuff and not surprised. The CPU benchmark numbers have a pretty large difference between the two.

Fingers crossed I can get this working tomorrow. It seems pretty simple in theory from the steps so hopefully be fine.

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

I guess no one has confirmed whether the build works with an RTX series card right? I think they ultimately may be the reason why I couldn't get my build up on the MBA 2020 despite following @andygev35's guide.

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

OK I have this working but it’s a little different @itsage, I had to use @andygev35 modification to this.

Here’s the steps:

• Windows 1903 Build .30
  • Updates disabled
  • DDU run and cleaned up
  • All 3 bottom PCI Express Root Ports Disabled
  • Installed Drivers and error on at the end as normal because Code 12
  • Disconnect GPU
  • Reboot and hot plug in GPU, code 12
  • Disable Iris Graphics and corrupt screen
  • Hard power off
  • Power on and hook up GPU and code 12
  • Reboot with eGPU plugged in and bingo, works

So ignoring the approach the changes here are just disabling the Iris Graphics. The internal screen still works on reboot but it’s clearly unaccelerated and slow. I’d be pretty sure this route won’t work to accelerate the laptops screen so you’d have to have external monitors.

Rebooted and seems to kick in 3 - 5 seconds after the login screen comes up.

Now to try something to see how it runs. Assuming all good might order a 1TB external SSD for this. Assuming that’s USB C it shouldn’t suck up resources and break all of this again?

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @james_bland

Assuming that’s USB C it shouldn’t suck up resources and break all of this again?

USB-C still works fine even on the disabled PCI Root Ports.  I’m running a 512GB NVME in an external USB-C (3.1) enclosure for my Steam Library. Also you can disconnect the eGPU and re-enable Iris Plus Graphics.  If it freezes up after reconnecting the eGPU and you have to hard-reboot, keep the eGPU plugged in.  If it doesn’t boot into windows, then boot into MacOS and reboot into Windows from there.  I’ve noticed that booting into MacOS first seems to help to “initialize” the eGPU.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, Yeah I have a USB C dock with keyboard, mouse and Ethernet that’s working fine.

To be fair if this is to be a dedicated gaming install which it will be, I don’t have a need for the Iris Plus Graphics. I’ve got a Windows install in Parallels for my work requirements which isn’t using the Bootcamp install.

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@ivan_loo, No, no reports of success with RTX card just yet.

I haven't been able to get past error 12 with a GTX 970 or RTX 2070 Super in either a Mantis Venus or Sonnet Breakaway enclosure using the limited successful methods in this thread, but there is some hope in that @james_bland had a GTX 1080 working with a Razer Core X enclosure.

I will be receiving a Razer Core X Chroma enclosure this week and will resume testing with my GTX and RTX cards.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

This morning I tried replicating @itsage's build as precisely as I could with the hardware that I have available, but I was unable to resolve error 12.

Here are the steps I took, with * denoting a change from the linked build:

1. Disable Secure Boot and allow Boot of External Devices [in Recovery Mode]
  2. Install Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO (build 19362.30) through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS]
  3. Disable automatic Windows Updates through Group Policy Editor [in Windows]
  4. * Ran Netplwiz to remove windows login password and speed up all the restarts to come
  5. Run the boot camp support software installer (but don't restart yet)
  6. Disable bottom three PCI Express Root Ports in Device Manager
  7. Run DDU to disable Windows automated driver installation and remove both AMD and NVIDIA graphics drivers: AMD clean and do not restart, then NVIDIA clean and restart
  8. Wait for Windows to finish booting then Hot-plug eGPU into the only remaining enabled PCI express Root Port (closest to Left TAB key) and wait for windows to recognize devices
  9. * Install NVIDIA drivers
  10. Shut computer down instead of Restart prompt through NVIDIA Installer
  11. Unplug the EGPU while the computer is shut down
  12. Boot the computer into Windows without the eGPU connected and hot-plug once Windows fully loads
    Result: error 12
  13. Repeat step 6 through 12
    Result: error 12

I have tried this method with both of these GPU enclosure combinations:

I have also tried this method with both of these NVIDIA drivers:

• 445.87 Game Ready Drivers
  • 442.92 Studio Drivers

With the Mantiz Venus I also disabled the second PCI Express Downstream Switch Port in Device Manager that hosts the USB, Ethernet and SATA connections for the enclosure.

I should have a Razer Core X Chroma in my hands by Thursday night and will try again then.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@jonodavis, try disabling the Iris Graphics as my 5700XT doesn’t work without that disabled as well. You’ll get screen corruption when you do but just force power off and on again, it’ll boot but just without graphics acceleration.

Also try booting with the eGPU plugged in. That works for me but hot plugging not so much.

ReplyQuote
 of  24