Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  24
  RSS

jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@eightarmedpet, no luck so far upgrading to the May 2020 update from 1903 (used insider Slow ring to get it), but I am trying a fresh install now with the May 2020 ISO since I couldn't remember everything I had mucked around with in that previous instance of Windows. I'll keep plugging away this morning and will update once I've hit gold or a dead end.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@jonodavis, always wise to start with a fresh instal, I'm sure you'll strike gold this time! 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jonodavis, I did a fresh install of Win10 2004 from the ISO through Boot Camp Assistant.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

(Insert sad computer noises here) Still stuck on error 12 with RTX cards, even with Windows 10 May 2020 release. 

latest failure

Below are my notes from this attempt:

• Sip and boot security are disabled
  • Downloaded Win10 May 2020 iso (Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us_19041.iso)
  • Ran boot camp assistant to install from ISO file
  • Winver says this installed win10 build 19041.84 (there may be an ISO that installs 19041.264 directly?)
  • Used gpedit to disable automatic download and install of windows updates using gpedit
  • Ran the bootcamp support software installer and allowed it to restart
  • Ran Windows Update to get 2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 (kb4556803) along with other security and .NET updates
  • Restarted and ran winver again, confirmed that the system was now on build 19041.264
  • Downloaded the latest version of DDU (v18.0.2.5)
  • Downloaded the latest NVIDIA GeForce Desktop Game Ready drivers (446.14)
  • Rebooted in safe mode (hold shift while clicking Restart)
  • Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart > 4 (to enable safe mode)
  • Ran DDU
    • Selected ALL checkboxes below NVIDIA and AMD specific options and prevented windows driver updates
    • Select GPU & NVIDIA and do a 'clean and do NOT restart'
    • Select GPU and AMD and do a 'clean and restart'
  • Windows boots up back in normal (unsafe) mode
  • Plug the Mantiz Venus with RTX 2070 Super into TB3 port #1 (left side nearest to TAB key)
  • EGPU shows up as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter under Display Adapters in Device Manager
  • Wait a few moments while Windows tries to recognize the EGPU and the built-in USB hub and Ethernet adapter (keyboard and mouse will become unresponsive)
  • Run nvidia driver installer (446.14) and successfully installed graphics driver and geforce experience (express install), and choose 'Restart Later' at the end
  • Manual shutdown
  • Unplug the egpu
  • Turn on the MBP and let windows load
  • Open device manager to watch status of EGPU
  • Hot-plug the egpu back into TB3 plug #1 and wait for it to be recognized: RTX 2070 Super is still error code 12

No change in error state if I use different TB3 ports, or disable excess ports, isight camera, wi-fi, etc, or use an RTX 2060 Super in a Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 (Sonnet has  no usb ports, ethernet or SATA).

Radeon 5700 XT should arrive Tuesday.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@jonodavis, have you tried disabling the bottom three PCI Root Ports, plugging in the eGPU in the port closest to the tab key, shutting down completely then booting with the eGPU already connected?

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, yes, trying to cold boot with the egpu already plugged results in getting stuck at the preboot spinner:

Plugging the egpu into the one enabled port at first sight of the windows logo gave me a BSOD with an error message referencing the PNP system, or it would just take me to the desktop and then recognizes the EGPU but still yellow bang it.

I have also just tried @roddy's method [build link] of using the top right port (nearest to the power button) and leaving the display unplugged, to no avail. Still Error 12.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jonodavis, Not sure why it behaves differently with your system. I hot-plugged the RTX 2070 Gaming Box just now and the eGPU started working after a few minutes of initiation. No workaround at all. I downloaded an ISO that came with 19041.264. I checked just now and https://tb.rg-adguard.net/ provides direct download link.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@itsage, is it possible that different parts are being shipped even among the same MacBook models?

for example, many folks (including myself) are reporting BSODs on hotplugging for the MBA 2020. But many others do not. source of the BSOD is the wifi-adapter and disabling it allows us to continue set up.

so maybe the devices are shipping with different parts which causes differences like these?

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@ivan_loo, It's possible there are variations if Apple is using multiple sources, as they do for many interchangeable components, but I have a feeling it has more to do with how Windows allocates resources on the fly as it scans for plug-n-play devices. Variations between when different users plug devices in, and the history of what devices have already had resources allocated to them may be what's causing the variation in success or failure.

Unfortunately this resource allocation process seems to be pretty opaque and I have yet to find a clear way to see which resources are already being taken up by which devices.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jonodavis, have been keeping an eye on this thread - kudos for continuing to try! Could you try the following steps after your DDU steps:

1. Before hot-plugging your eGPU after normal Windows boot, disconnect from the internet and any other peripherals completely. This means that prior to the hot-plug, keep a downloaded copy of NVIDIA drivers.
  2. With internet still off, plug in the eGPU (wait for recognition) and install the drivers you downloaded prior.
  3. Once install completes, choose Restart Later, but do not shut down manually yet.
  4. Via Device Manager, uninstall the eGPU (do not tick the uninstall drivers box). Once done, unplug the eGPU.
  5. Reboot again into Windows. Internet is still disconnected at this point. Hot-plug eGPU to the same port you were using prior to disconnect.
  6. Let us know what happens!

Just some other steps I’ve sometimes taken in the past to work around these pesky issues in Windows. As to whether it’ll work in this case - doubt it but perhaps worth a go. 

Edit: If you get error 12, let’s try and root-cause what resources are conflicting. This should be doable. This is where you can see conflicting devices:

Resource Conflicts

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

jonodavis, Ivan Loo, itsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
 of  24