Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  24
  RSS

jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor, gave it another try...and it finally worked!

I think the biggest difference this time was using a Win10 ISO that was build 19041.264 specifically, instead of an earlier build 19041.xx and trying to update to 19041.264. The other possible difference is that I did not connect to Wi-Fi during Windows installation so I created a local account instead of logging in with my Microsoft account.

Detailed steps below, and I will be updating my build once I get some benchmarks done 😀

1. Downloaded Windows 19041.264 ISO from https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php (Windows 10, Version 2004 - 20H1, build 19041.264, English, x64)
  2. Downloaded Nvidia 446.14 WHQL Game Ready Driver from https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx and save it to a USB thumb drive
  3. Download DDU ver. 18.0.2.5 from https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3067 and save it to the USB thumb drive
  4. Run boot camp assistant to install windows to 1/2 the internal SSD, which will reboot the system in to Windows
  5. Proceed through installation process (at this point I practically have my Windows license code memorized)
  6. Do not connect to any Wi-Fi network during installation
  7. Once install finishes do not immediately run the Boot Camp Installer popup
  8. Disable automatic Windows updates
  9. Run "gpedit" to open Local Group Policy Editor
    1. Drill down to Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates
    2. Change it to Enabled, under Options select 'Notify for download and auto install'
    3. Apply, OK, close the editor
  10. Run the Boot Camp Installer and let it restart Windows
  11. Run DDU
    1. Check all options below NVIDIA and AMD
    2. Check 'Prevent downloads of drivers from "Windows update"
    3. Select GPU and NVIDIA and then click "Clean and do NOT restart"
    4. Select GPU and AMD and then click "Clean and restart", this will reboot Windows when done
  12. Plug the eGPU (Mantiz Venus with RTX 2070 Super) into the first TB port (left side, closes to TAB key)
    1. The HDD inside the enclosure is unplugged, as is the Ethernet connection on the back
    2. An external monitor is connected to the GPU by HDMI
  13. Open Device Manager, and the eGPU should show up as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" with a yellow bang error indicator. Leave this windows open.
  14. Run the NVIDIA driver installer
  15. Select Graphics Driver and GeForce Experience, and Express installation
  16. In Device Manager the list of devices should refresh multiple times
  17. Wait for the option to 'Restart Later' at the end of the installer…but it isn't there? Just the option to make a desktop shortcut for GeForce Experience and to Launch GeForce Experience.
  18. Notice that the eGPU is now listed as NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER in Device Manager and the error icon is gone…
  19. Switch my external monitor over from Display port input from my desktop PC to HDMI input from the eGPU & Mac….
  20. It works!

I restarted the system with the eGPU plugged in but got stuck at the spinning wheel preboot sequence (as expected). Unplugging the eGPU and booting Windows, and then hot-plugging it caused the same momentary pause as it recognized the devices, and then it resumed working beautifully. Connecting to Ethernet and Wi-Fi, as well as connecting my local user account to my Microsoft account has not broken anything.

Now to drink a celebratory shandy and create a restore point. Cheers y'all!

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

sdedalus1, Eightarmedpet, James Bland and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@jonodavis, fantastic!! Glad you finally got it working.  I’d do one better than creating a restore point...  I’d make a Winclone of the Bootcamp partition and upload it to your iCloud Drive, lol...

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@jonodavis, fantastic! im eager to try this out on my MBA now.

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@jonodavis, quick question: in step 11, are you booting into safe mode to run DDU?

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@ivan_loo, no, that didn't seem to be necessary for me, but I can't imagine it would hurt.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@jonodavis, this is great to see! Glad you've got it working. I got bored of hotplugging so switched to a bootloader (rEFInd > EFI Bootloader), but @andygev35 made a great point explaining why they didn't work for him so its whatever works for you... Look forward to seeing your build post with hopefully some gaming benchmarks?

This post was modified 1 month ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
kyle jones
(@kyle_jones_1)

Hey my trusty 2015 macbook pro is starting to show its age and I would love to upgrade and stay in the apple family but be able to play games.  I would be using windows only for games because most games I play arent mac supported so going Nvidia just for windows isnt an issue.  Looks like things just got a lot easier I.E. plug an play for the windows bootcamp/ nvidia combo. 

My biggest concern is temps. 

For those of you using the new 2020 13' models are you maintaining relatively acceptable temps when gaming?

Thanks for all the helpful research!

(first time posting here so if anything is redundant or not allowed please remove.  Sorry.)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@kyle_jones_1, I only have a little experience with my setup so far, but the laptop doesn't seem to get that hot. I had the internal screen off and the lid closed while I played 'Deliver Us The Moon' for about three hours straight, and while the eGPU fans were throwing out a ton of heat, the laptop itself didn't get hot enough to cause any concern. (MBP 2020 13", i7, RTX 2070 Super in Razer Core X Chroma)

I think it probably gets hotter when I rest it on a blanket in my lap reading the news in bed.

ReplyQuote
kyle jones
(@kyle_jones_1)

@jonodavis, that’s great to hear thanks for the reply! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Snoek
(@snoek)

I also have a 2020 13" MacBook Pro (arrived on Tuesday) and I am trying to get it to work with either of the following graphics cards but with no joy, even following all the instructions above on this post.

The Mac spec is:

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
  • 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536

I have tried Windows 10 version 2004 and 1909, I have tried the instructions from @jonodavis directly above, I have tried simply letting windows try and work but nothing seems to work. I always just get error 12, sometimes I seem to get an error 1 but generally it always ends up with 12.

What is very frustrating is that both work absolutely perfectly in a fully updated Windows 10 on my 2018 MacBook Pro 13" where I have done absolutely nothing special. They both work perfectly and the Vega 64 has been working for over a year (it just worked from day 1).

The RTX box is brand new and if I can't get it to work, I am going to have to return it tomorrow (I've had it for nearly 14 days as the MacBook took a while to arrive) but I hate to be beaten. I'm not really that competent with Windows and I just don't understand why this doesn't work, it's so frustrating!

MacBook Pro 13” 2020 (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4 &amp Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536MB)
MacBook Pro 13" 2018 (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 & Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB)
-Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 with Asus RX Vega 64 ROG STRIX OC
-HTC Vive

ReplyQuote
 of  24