Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  24
  RSS

andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

Which doesn't always imply a change in eGPU compatibility on macs - all is governed by software/firmware. In the past, Apple has continuously iterated over its Mac lineup with minimal discrepencies in behavior.

Good point.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

Got mine arriving on Monday so will be trying this probably in the first couple of days. I only have an old Lenovo Graphics Dock which is a Nvidia 1050 GTX. I’ll be buying something new and AMD based so can also use in MacOS if it’s possible to get it to work.

First time trying an eGPU with a Mac so not sure I’ll be able to do anything more than what has already been tried in this thread though. It’s not reading as being all that hopeful so far though 🙁

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
Oscar Russo
(@oscar_russo)

New to this forum, excited to throw in some input!

Received my 2020 MBP 13 yesterday, and have had no luck getting the eGPU to work in Bootcamp.

It's the 2.0GHz Ice Lake i5, paired with a Razer Core X and an RX 570.

Have tried everything listed, running Insider Fast, hot plugging, EFI stuff, and always getting Error 12.

Had a setup working perfectly on my 2019 i5 MBP 13 without any screwing around, so I'm looking forward to getting this working again.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 512GB
Razer Core X + RX 570 (not yet working)

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@oscar_russo, thanks for the input!

With your 2019, did you have to remove the default AMD drivers using DDU and then install new AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com?

You may have already tried it, but let me know if this works for your 2020. Thanks!

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @oscar_russo

Have tried everything listed, running Insider Fast, hot plugging, EFI stuff, and always getting Error 12.

Which build versions of Windows have you tried? This is very important.  Also make absolutely certain that you don’t connect the eGPU during the install process.  It’ll break the install every time.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

So my Monday delivery arrived early today which was a bit of a nice surprise. Not done much with it yet but obviously being a bit of a tinkerer I wanted to look into support with the only eGPU I have currently. This is a Lenovo Thunderbolt Graphics Dock 3 as I'm not a heavy gamer, mostly just play a bit of DOTA 2 and this gets me 60fps in 1080p which is all I care about.

Anyway being a bit cocky on my approach I installed Windows 10 1909 having not touched anything to do with the T2 security either. It's on whatever the defaults are there as I've not looked.

Once booted up I plugged in the eGPU and not long after that I couldn't use the Keyboard or Mouse yet I could see Windows hadn't crashed because the battery charging animation was still running. Anyway this dock is weird in that you have to use their drivers else the eGPU doesn't fire up. I rebooted with the eGPU disconnected, installed the Lenovo Drivers and then plugged it in.

My USB keyboard and mouse started working, the Ethernet picked up in the dock and I moved over to a LAN connection and the graphics card showed up but as Basic Drivers with Code 32. I didn't screen capture it but it said something along the lines of the Graphics card is different to what was detected during POST.

Rebooted Windows and left the eGPU plugged in. Came up to the Windows 10 login screen and as it did the 2 x external displays came to life then went off. Logged in and back they came with screen mirroring on. Graphics card was working and fine in Device Manager.

My next task was to try DOTA 2 but I didn't realise it was so big needing 24GB, I left Bootcamp on the default partition size and it won't fit. Doh! So will try 3D Mark.

I've had this eGPU for a while and on a Lenovo T480s it runs rock solid. I did get a Dell XPS 13 2in1 with the Ice Lake CPU's before I returned it. The reason that went back was it would crash a lot with this eGPU hence while I've got it working in Windows, I don't yet know if it's stable or not. I spoke to Dell about that and they just said they don't support eGPU's with that laptop so nothing to do, I returned it. Waited a while and here I am now with a Macbook Pro 13

MacBook Pro 13 running Windows 10 with Geforce 1050 GTX

I'd suggest trying a newer version of Windows. These CPU's are new and the older versions of Windows might not properly support them. Will feedback on how I get on but obviously need to setup all my MacOS stuff as well so might not get too much time on this.

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Hatim Abu-Shawareb
(@hatim_abu-shawareb)

@jonodavis thanks a lot for making a thread that collates all of the 2020 MBP people trying to get their eGPU setups to work with boot camp. 

I upgraded my 2011 MBP to the top of the line 2020 (10th gen i7, 32GB ram, 4TB SSD) and purchased the sonnet breakaway 650 with a Radeon Pro WX 8200. I use Mac and windows for work and wanted a graphics card that is more geared toward solidworks design but beefy enough to play some games. 

I don’t get the MBP till next week but I’ll attempt to get my setup working and toss an update with my results, which so far based on this thread probs won’t work haha. 

Good luck everyone!

13” MacBook Pro 2020
Intel 10th i7, 32GB RAM, 4TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway 650
Radeon Pro WX 8200
LG Ultrafine 4k 24" Monitor

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@jonodavis, if it helps, on my set-up (MBA 2020 with Core X Chroma), the thunderbolt 3 is definitely working as I connect ethernet/USB mouse/keyboard to the eGPU. LAN, Keyboard and Mouse works when I hotplug the egpu in. Only my nVidia GPU shows up with error 12.

So, assuming we both are suffering from similiar issues, i think its safe to say that thunderbolt 3 is working fine.

@itsage base on my description, does the fact that my other eGPU connect devices work mean that that the thunderbolt 3 connection is working?

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ivan_loo, Yes the first step is to establish a Thunderbolt connection from the host to device. Within the device we have other components with the graphics card being to most crucial for Windows to sort out.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

I have this working but as I put a screenshot in my post it's pending admin approval but it's with a Nvidia 1050 GTX on a Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock. I didn't do anything special and used Windows 1909. Hopefully the post with a lot more info about it will get approved soon.

ReplyQuote
 of  24