2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting

Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  28
  RSS

Hatim Abu-Shawareb
(@hatim_abu-shawareb)

Hey Everyone. I'm trying to get my 2020 MBP i7 to work with a Sonnet Breakaway 650 with Radeon Pro WX 8200 graphics Card.

I initially followed the guide that @andygev35 posted on here, but got code 12.

I then followed the guide @itsage posted here, and something interesting happened. When the installation resumes after the restart, the eGPU works for a quick second (my LG 4k Monitor shows the desktop!!), then windows just freezes and I can't do anything at all, then the monitor goes black. Only thing I can do is hard shut the MBP . Windows boots back up but then I get code 12. 🙁

I've tried disabling the FaceTime camera in addition to the 3 other PCI port, but same results. Any suggestions? I'm soo close!!

Thank you!

Hatim

13” MacBook Pro 2020
Intel 10th i7, 32GB RAM, 4TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway 650
Radeon Pro WX 8200
LG Ultrafine 4k 24" Monitor

ReplyQuote
Snoek
(@snoek)

@andygev35, I will be interested to hear how it goes. It was really simply to move mine from the Vega 64 to the 5700XT.

MacBook Pro 13” 2020 (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4 &amp Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536MB)
MacBook Pro 13" 2018 (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 & Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB)
-Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 with Asus RX Vega 64 ROG STRIX OC
-HTC Vive

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

Been busy playing Doom Eternal in 4K (Runs amazingly well) and also working of course. However I've noticed recently that the eGPU Eject icon hasn't been showing in MacOS though I hadn't got around to looking into it but also the eGPU would only kick in if I booted into MacOS with it connected.

Had a fiddle on this today and when plugging in while on the eGPU icon would appear and then vanish after saying no eGPU detected. Thought maybe it was a couple of recent software I'd installed with extensions so took those off but no change. I thought it might be more a firmware thing at this point so went into Recovery Mode and turned back on Secure Boot but left boot from USB enabled (Need that obviously for Windows).

Bingo, connect the eGPU once in MacOS and it's detected now. I'm going to hazard a guess that now my Windows will be broken because nothing in life would be that easy but just wondering if any of you had noticed similar behaviour in MacOS? Once you have Secure Boot disabled, can you plug and play the eGPU without having it on turning boot up?

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Snoek
(@snoek)

@james_bland, I definitely don’t have the remove eGPU button. I noticed this was missing and assumed it was some new option.

MacBook Pro 13” 2020 (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4 &amp Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536MB)
MacBook Pro 13" 2018 (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 & Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB)
-HTC Vive

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@snoek, if you boot up without the eGPU plugged in and then connect it. Do you see it flash up for a moment and then vanish? If you click on it when it flashes up it'll say no eGPU detected or words to that effect.

Seems to suggest no just me though. Will try Bootcamp when I get a chance but I'm guessing changing that setting will have stopped the GPU from working in Windows but hopefully not.

EDIT: OK I've tried it and Bootcamp still works fine. I've obviously got boot off external media still enabled as my Windows install is on an external SSD but seems having the Secure Boot options enabled doesn't break that.

Back into MacOS, plugged in eGPU after booting and works fine again. Little eGPU icon is up and the GPU is detected fine. So seems if you want MacOS to work correctly here you need to leave Secure Boot enabled or just accept you can only get your eGPU working if you boot with it plugged in.

This post was modified 2 months ago

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Zwalby
(@zwalby)

I’m quite new to eGPU, as I just yesterday set up my MBP i5 10th gen 2020 512gb 16gb ddr4 + Asus Rtx 2080s Rog Strix Advanced + Razer Core X.

During default bootcamp installation using the newest win10, I too got the hangup at keyboard configuration. Worked when I hard rebooted and unplugged external keyboard.

I tested, and saw that Nvidia Drivers wasn’t compatible without successful Bootcamp procedure.

After this, it was plug n’ play. 

Had some issues connecting the egpu after boot-up, but @Rasel800 ‘s tip to scan hardware changes got it working.

I’ll post my build once I get more informed about benchmarking.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

rasel800 liked
ReplyQuote
Noah Smith
(@noah_smith)

Got my build working today. 

2020 MBP 13" i7-1068NG7, 16GB, 512GB

Razer Core V2 with Zotac RTX2070 Super Mini

Made a new Windows partition, just installed the latest ISO from their download site. As usual, the boot camp installer in W10 freezes on "Apple Keyboard", so I went back into MacOS to download the support software onto a USB, and installed it manually in W10. Plugged in eGPU, device manager recognizes it as a Basic Display Adapter. Installed Geforce Drivers and restarted. Everything works perfect now, and is plug and play (must unplug when restarting). 

Only problem I'm having now is that Geforce Experience is not recognizing that I have an i7, so I cannot use game optimization and cannot enable in-game overlay (not sure if this issue is tied to the CPU not being recognized). Anyone have a fix for this? Could it just be an Ice Lake issue?

This post was modified 2 months ago

2020 Macbook Pro 13" - i7 1068NG7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
2016 Razer Blade Stealth 12.5 - i7 7500U - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Razer Core V2
Zotac RTX2070 Super Mini

ReplyQuote
Snoek
(@snoek)

@james_bland, Hi,

Until this afternoon, I had only booted into MacOS with the eGPU connected. I tried hot plugging it today and it connected, the little icon popped up and then the second screen freaked out (lots of multi-coloured lines and you could see the desktop through it). After a few seconds that screen shut off for a moment and then came back on with everything working and the little GPU icon showing. It then worked fine while I was 'Zwifting' for an hour or two and I used it to disconnect the eGPU.

Strange that it went funny at first but it all works for me. I still have boot security disabled.

@hatim_abu-shawareb, Hi,

Sorry, I only just saw your post.

I'm no expert with Windows but mistakes I made on my many attempted to get it working were not using version 1903 v1, not using the adrenaline graphics installer and selecting the wrong view option (I can't remember off the top of my head how you sort the devices) in device manager to sort the PCI devices so that they are in the right order. I think it also really helped me to not let the windows installer have wifi at all until I was about to install the adrenaline drivers.

-HTC Vive

ReplyQuote
Noah Smith
(@noah_smith)

@zwalby, Im pretty sure the Apple Keyboard problem is happening to a lot of us. Try this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923

2020 Macbook Pro 13" - i7 1068NG7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
2016 Razer Blade Stealth 12.5 - i7 7500U - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Razer Core V2
Zotac RTX2070 Super Mini

Zwalby liked
ReplyQuote
Berkan
(@berkan)

Hi guys,

I tried to fix error 12 on my 2020 Macbook Pro 13'' with 8th Gen Coffee Lake CPU + Razer Core X + AMD RX 5700 XT.

Unfortunately I could not manage to get it working.

I tried following methods:

I hope some of you fine people can help me out on this one.

2020 Macbook Pro 13'' with 8th Gen Coffee Lake CPU + Razer Core X + AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
 of  28